Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Herbicide/pesticide recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarG

Founding Member
I'm interested in pesticide info too. I tried organic last year, and it didn't work well and required to many applications with only 12 plants.....not even gonna try with 160.

Has anyone ever tried saving their tobacco dust to make homeade pesticide and does it work? If so would it work on tobacco pests? I've read you soak tobacco in water till it turns brown and supposedly makes good bug spray.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Tobacco-based pesticide does work in many situations. Unfortunately, tobacco pests eat tobacco for breakfast, and no-one that I'm aware of has reported success with it in preventing pests on tobacco. I suppose that if it were concentrated enough, it might discourage even tobacco-tolerant insects. But then, you'd be smoking it.

Bob

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I tried it one year with no luck. I've since read that I should have used a stronger version of tobacco such as a Rustica. Now I only use Spinosad or Bt. These two products do not kill friendly bugs... and you'd be surprised to see how many are in your garden you stop using a broad based pesticide.

BarG

Founding Member
I try not to use anything that kills beneficial insects, I did find that the powder BT form stuck to the leaves for a long time rain or shine, from the leaves being so sticky. I don't plan on using powder except sparingly for spot checks next year. What was I thinking about tobacco saturated spray killing voracious tobacco eaters. That would be a day at the spa for them!

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i aqquired some b.t. liquid concentrate today....

it's from '' SOUTHERN AG'' ''thuricide hpc..''

worm killer,i didnt get the poder form,,, and will use very little of this 8 ounce bottle,,, im very close to picking time,,,,

i actually seen some burley on the road today,, i guess it blew off something,,,

i picked up about 30 '' fat heavy leaves''

i was amazed at thier weight,,,,

but with this bottle,,, im prepared for next years grow,,,, plus tomorrow im going to be hauling chicken manure to a all orgANIC farm,,,, so i'll be making a '' drop'' at the house also,, i use if for beginning fertilizer, i put it in the soil 2 months before panting,,, after lots of '' turning'' the pile while in the shed....

got that issue covered also,,,,

Knucklehead

Founding Member
My understanding of the tobacco based pesticides is that they have to be sprayed directly on the critter. Just spraying the leaves won't get the job done and is a waste of your spray. Here's the recipe:
one teaspoon tobacco dust
one teaspoon black pepper
one half teaspoon liquid soap
one gallon water
let it steep, strain it and spray it
I haven't tried it just read about it from a couple sources that claim it works it you spray it directly on the critters.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
We raise some bees so whatever I use will have to be safe for the honey bees. Is this Admire and BT safe to use around honey bees? What about the sevin dust?

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I don't know about the other options but sevin is death incarnate to bees

Status
Not open for further replies.