Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Herbicide/pesticide recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Bugs are chowing down on my plants, and weeds are everywhere.

Anyone have an herbicide and pesticide recommendation that is carried by home depot that is good for tobacco? I dont have enough supply to share any with bugs or weeds.

Ashauler

Founding Member
I'm interested in pesticide info too. I tried organic last year, and it didn't work well and required to many applications with only 12 plants.....not even gonna try with 160.

BigBonner

Founding Member
What kind of bugs do you have ?

Aphids use admire . One dose works all season long .Generic is cheaper .

Worm and grasshoppers use orthene . Use only if you need to . I used to use it at transplant and after topping . 1 lb per acre .

Right now my crops are fairly chemical free . I do use some low dose of Admire . I see it is labeled for veggies .

We used to use a little shot of turpentine in the transplant water when planting . I don't anymore .

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
some sort of worm that's eating the leaf. i've never seen any grasshoppers here but we probably do have them. problem is i have my patch near the stream and that is probably increasing bug activity as a result. well i will be at home depot today so will get a nice spray.

the other issue is the ground is fresh dug and very clayee. i might just get a bunch of pots and do them on the deck this year while i get garden space established, thats what everyone is suggesting i do to get the soil good for gardening. apparently the first year it will suck, but the next ones will be better once the soil gets used to its new task.

Ashauler

Founding Member
My primary problem last year was with horn-worms. They went wild after topping and I couldn't keep up hunting them down and squishing them.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
i ended up going with sevin for vegetables, it specifically mentioned hornworms... and just about every other critter in existance. good price too on the concentrate. i just transplanted about 40 plants and no dmg yet. previously they had eaten things up overnight so i'm feeling good about the sevin.

dkh2

Southern Washington State I can see Oregon from my
Me too no new damage from crawling bugs
I spread some Sevin Granules and the damage stopped immediately.
And in doing so discovered that there are 4 types of cut worm attacks
The Roots, The Stem at ground Level, The Stem half way up and them dirty bast@#@s will sever a leaf.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I've never found any plant that acts as a "trap crop" I tried the Marigold thing about 15 years ago and didn't notice anything.
Randy B

BigBonner

Founding Member
The worst thing about planting something next to your tobacco is competition for plant food . The weed or flowers will eat up the fertilizer ment for the tobacco .

Ashauler

Founding Member
How soon after transplanting could/should pesticide be applied? My transplants are less than a week in the field, and are showing evidence of bug damage already...most likely grasshoppers but I did find a caterpillar on one leaf this morning. It is extremely hot here and the plot is mainly in full sun, so the little guys are somewhat stressed as it is and I don't want to risk further damage by applying the pesticide too early.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
i apply sevin at transplant to give them a fighting chance. then their only enemy is mother nature and my clumsiness. better odds this way

indianjoe

Founding Member
Orthene at transplant, to give them a fighting chance and later if needed. Cutworms I have do not seem to be affected by the sevin, granular or liquid.

BigBonner

Founding Member
Orthene will work on any bug or worm . I have used it in the past at transplant and as a cover spray .The spray residue will last several weeks . I can look up the residue lable if anyone needs it . I may have a old can here some where . I haven't used orthene for a few years now .I may see some worms but they don't bother me at all .

BarG

Founding Member
I've been using bacillus thuringiensis, kills all kinds of caterpillars , leaf eaters, goes by dipple dust as powder form or thuricide as sprayer concentrate. concentrates solely on leaf eating caterpillars and worms, wont hurt bees,and other pollinaters or even adult stages of moths that lay eggs on your plants, IT will kill the larvaes {worms and caterpillars].great for small crops like mine, i can tell an immediate difference after use.

BarG

Founding Member
My rule of thumb is to plant way more than I need, If its veggies one row for me one for the critters,this year was the worst ever as far as the animals eating my garden,they are going for the weeds between my tobacco. they are keeping it weed eated for me.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
anything containing B.T. bacillius therogenous

a worm killer,,,,

note the dead hornworms,,

it's all im gonna use next year,,,, a powder and liquid form,,,,

im gonna buy both tomorrow,,, i'll put some pics of my product,,

Attachments

• DSCF00075.jpg
    DSCF00075.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 35
  • DSCF00064.jpg
    DSCF00064.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 30
  • DSCF00054.jpg
    DSCF00054.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 30

BarG

Founding Member
Hey chicken, I started using the powder first but switched to the spray a month or so before harvest . the tobacco leaves are so sticky the powder really sticks to them even after watering and being rained on. I'll probably use the concentrate only next year except for maybe if just a few plants are getting attacked. Plus the powder is more backbreaking and time consuming on a big crop. by the way I liked your video. have to watch again though my speakers went out and just now hooked up a new pair.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
Hey chicken, I started using the powder first but switched to the spray a month or so before harvest . the tobacco leaves are so sticky the powder really sticks to them even after watering and being rained on. I'll probably use the concentrate only next year except for maybe if just a few plants are getting attacked. Plus the powder is more backbreaking and time consuming on a big crop. by the way I liked your video. have to watch again though my speakers went out and just now hooked up a new pair.

i was listening to the AG REPORT one morning and they made mention that this year in florida the hornworms were being a issue many farmers were battling,,,

so it's no surprise thati was infested so heavily with them....i picked off worms,, i plucked unhatched eggs,,,and still lost half my crop to them,,,, before aqquiring some B.T.

Status
Not open for further replies.