Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

TESTIMONY OF A FIRST TIME GROWER'' me,,/my personal account of growing baccy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i tried it in 09' and failed miserablly i '' covered the seeds'' lightly with soil{ nothing came up}

..i tried it again in 2011,,,,major sucess,,,, if you have a '' little -bit'' of a green thumb you can do it,,,, it actually is a very easy plant to grow,,,allthough i have a very green thumb,, so whats easy for me may not be so easy for the next guy...

..but with a site like this one,,any and all of your questions can and will be addressed,,,"" i learned my lesson the hard way'' listen to those that know what thier talking about,,,

my lesson come from hornworms,,,, i was being told waht to use,,, B.T.,,, but i had a arsenol of poisions and insecticides,,,,surely something i had would kill/take care of< these hornworms,,,

i lost over half my '' CROP'' to hornworm invasion.....upon using B.T. my problem has vanished,,, i wish i'd had B.T. at the beginning,,,{ then i'd have a bigger crop:(}

my baccy has allthough turned out great,,,,it's a learning process when youve never done it,,,,and ive been sucking up knowledge like a sponge,,,

'' DONT THINK > YOU CANT DO IT < IT IS VERY EASILY DONE,, IF YOU ASK QUESTIONS AND FOLLOW ANSWERS'''

now lets grow some baccy,,,,this years crop,, from beginning to now,

i would say i had 86% sucess,,,,,,not bad for a first-timer,,,,but it wasnt hard or difficult at all,,,,,and now im looking into building myself a kiln,,,and ive fire-cured some leaves{ experminting}

growing your own baccy,, can easily turn into a personal hobby,,,,

a hobby with benifit's.......you save money and get a better quality smoke,,,:cool:

Attachments

• DSCF00026.jpg
    DSCF00026.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 32
  • DSCF0004.jpg
    DSCF0004.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 32
  • DSCF00246.jpg
    DSCF00246.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCF00087.jpg
    DSCF00087.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCF0009.jpg
    DSCF0009.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 31

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i learned a lot of valuable lessons this year that will be applied to next years crop...

plus im getting ready to build a kiln,,,so the learning continues,,,,

next year will be a great sucess,,,

O.S.O.K.

I think I'm going to have to start with the soil - get it tested and make sure I have it properly prepared - I know that it will need lyme for sure. Miss State has an extension service that can help me. Fortunately, the soil is of a type that should be a good medium for tobacco - sandy loam - great drainage.

After the soil is ready, I'm going to "go by the book" and start with something that I can sell if successfully grown and cured. Either in bulk or in individual packages to local c-stores and smoke shops.

Daniel

Banned
I am waiting for my soil analysis now. We took it to the Ag department last Friday. They said it woudl take as much as two weeks. As you can see Ag is given high priority in this area. They sort of looked at me funny when i said I was getting the soil analyzed for gardening purposes. They thought I wanted to find out what contaminants might be in it.

dkh2

Southern Washington State I can see Oregon from my
I like Waters Agriculture labs they gave me the soil fertility Recommendations for Tobacco

Fertility Recommendations
Crop Tobacco lbs.per Acre Yield:3000 lbs

Lime = 1.5 tons/Acre
Nitrogen = 70 pounds per acre
K20 Potash = 80 pounds per acre
Sulfur = 5 pounds per acre
Cu Copper = 0.2 pounds per acre

dkh2

Southern Washington State I can see Oregon from my
I like there free software too, Lab-Talk 2000 V5.4
You can view all your previous reports and download your reports from there ftp server
and there is all kinds of records you can keep on EVERY Thing
They have a users forum and all that here is the main page

Lab Talk.jpg

taxedenuf

I am waiting for my soil analysis now. We took it to the Ag department last Friday. They said it woudl take as much as two weeks. As you can see Ag is given high priority in this area. They sort of looked at me funny when i said I was getting the soil analyzed for gardening purposes. They thought I wanted to find out what contaminants might be in it.

Danial not sure if i missed any previous comments but on the form you must specify TOBACCO cause it's a whole different animal and they can or should be able to set you up.

O.S.O.K.

potash, copper and sulfure? Where do you get that stuff in bulk?

Or do you just purchase the right fertilizer miz? I put 13-13-13 down on my food plots earlier this year - one component is nitrogen, don't know what the other two are?

Noob!!

Status
Not open for further replies.