Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Rogue seedling????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I read somewhere that "gas filled" windows block a measure of natural light, so maybe that is my culprit. Weather has been too up and down to get them outside yet. We were in the 30s last night.

The way the plants are all leaned over and stretching out for the light makes me think they need more light. The low E glass could be the culprit. My little seedlings were actually dying on me until I got some grow lights. BigBonner said my low E windows were probably the cause. He said not even house plants do well in front of them. Artificial light made all the difference in the world for mine. I bought the cheap two ft. undercabinet fluorescents from Walmart and Lowe's. I think Lowe's was cheaper. About $10.00 each. I bought grow bulbs for some, and the others I'm just using the bulb that came in them. So far, I can't tell much difference between bulbs.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The stimulant sometimes used for prodding seed germination, Gibberellic Acid, is a naturally occurring plant hormone--a growth regulator, and is also produced in high concentrations by a specific fungus that in nature causes plants to grow to their maximum in length, regardless of conditions. The process is sometimes fatal to the plant, but allows the propagation of the fungus.

Wikipedia said:
GA was first identified in Japan in 1935, as a metabolic byproduct of the plant pathogen Gibberella fujikuroi (thus the name), which afflicts rice plants; fujikuroi-infected plants develop bakanae ("foolish seedling"), which causes them to grow so much taller than normal that they die from no longer being sturdy enough to support their own weight.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibberellic_acid

Maybe this is just a tobacco with a mutant gene. Maybe it's got a friend.

Bob

DGBAMA

The stimulant sometimes used for prodding seed germination, Gibberellic Acid, is a naturally occurring plant hormone--a growth regulator, and is also produced in high concentrations by a specific fungus that in nature causes plants to grow to their maximum in length, regardless of conditions. The process is sometimes fatal to the plant, but allows the propagation of the fungus.

Maybe this is just a tobacco with a mutant gene. Maybe it's got a friend.

Bob

Guess we will all find out. I will transplant him to his own growing space this weekend, just in case it is a fungus, to avoid possible contamination of the other starts and see what he does. For control puroses, maybe a 5gal bucket with another "healthy" seedling of the same variety in a second bucket to monitor differences in growth.

Status
Not open for further replies.