Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

World Tobacco Turkey 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

istanbulin

Founding Member
May be some of you know, there's an organization called World Tobacco, they're organizing events in different countries around the World twice a year. They also merged with Tobacco Journal International last year.

This years the organization "World Tobacco Turkey" was planned (first time in Turkey) to be carried out in May 29-31 at Istanbul Lutfi Kirdar Convention & Exhibition Centre. I've made a reservation to this event months ago.

ImageProxy.jpg

Today, I got this mail from the vice president (or his agent),

Dear Friends,

On 2nd May we received notice from the Lutfi Kirdar Convention Centre that they no longer wished to host a tobacco exhibition, were terminating our contract and cancelling the event.

They have expressed concerns for the possibility of a government penalty should they continue.

We were astounded by this arbitrary and completely unjustified decision. No advance notice whatsoever had been given in spite of our staff being in daily contact with the convention centre. The event has been scheduled for 2 years.

We have endeavoured to persuade the exhibition centre to honour their contractual and ethical commitments. However, to date they insist they will not host a tobacco related show. In spite of having signed a contract to do so.

We have been unable to find another centre in Istanbul able to meet our needs at such short notice and reluctantly have to cancel the 2013 World Tobacco Turkey event.

We very much regret the short notice, which is entirely outside of our control and the inconvenience which the centre’s action has dealt to our valued clients.

Please do not travel to World Tobacco Turkey. If you are an exhibitor you will be contacted separately to discuss the options available.
The next World Tobacco Event is in Hamburg, Germany in November 2013.

Ian Faux
Vice President
World Tobacco Turkey 2013
Quartz Business Media

Tobacco is becoming a taboo in the World. Our government declared a war on tobacco with high taxes, warning labels on packs and now they're trying to force manufacturers to create uniform cigarette packs (only in brown color without logo or anything). Their war on tobacco also includes terminating the Turkish tobacco. If farmers give up growing tobacco gov't is giving incentive payments for their new crop. If it goes like that Turkish tobacco will be only a nostalgia on smokers' mind.

Seanz

Its a sad thing, happening over here, tax increases every six months 75% of the packet is warnings and they are trying to introduce plain packaging. already has to be out of site in the shop.

DonH

Unbelievable! In Turkey, no less, the one country, along with the US, where it's a big part of the culture and where so many great varieties were created.

istanbulin

Founding Member
I hate to say it, but where's a Lawyer when you need one?

They'll probably file a lawsuit about this issue and will probably win the case. But the event is gone now, I think you saw their tactic they terminated the contract only 21 days before, the speed of the law is too slow to catch the date of the planned event.

Last edited:

istanbulin

Founding Member
Unbelievable! In Turkey, no less, the one country, along with the US, where it's a big part of the culture and where so many great varieties were created.

The bloody prime minister is thinking that he's Murad IV (the sultan who banned tobacco and alcohol in 17th century). His other project is putting warning labels on alcoholic baverages. I don't want to imagine the next step (!).

istanbulin

Founding Member

As an info, in 2002 (before these bloody maniacs) total tobacco growing lands were approx. 570000 acres, today it's approx. 270000 acres.

Matty

That is devastating news. Makes me think of an article I saw in Cigar Journal about a tobacconist in Australia. There was a picture of a rack of cigars, all had the same shape, size and color of cigar band, same writting too. It's a sad state of affairs.

Boboro

We will be the beginning or the end. Its out of our hands. We willbe the addicts of the 21nd century. Or the ppl. that said funk yall! They may revolk our atcess card.

BarG

Founding Member
I learned early on in the forum that the war on tobacco has been going on for a loooong time. Its hitting some new levels I believe. No beheadings for smoking or such but tax you into submission. In some cases and countries though it is still totally okay and cheap.

darren1979

First Time Grower
Thats so true BarG, some countrys seem to want to punish there people for choosing to smoke. The war on tobacco has been going on for centrys, with all the same crap being spoken about tobacco but not one country has got the balls to ban it.

What stinks is belgium being part of the e.u and the e.u's headquarters are based their yet they have one of the cheapist prices for tobacco in europe £5 for 50Grams of rolling baccy and ive got to pay £15. Seems one rule for one and another for us.

BarG

Founding Member
One of the manufacturing plants in the phillipines I believe for winston. They are the equivalent to american spirit with all natural tobacco. Retails for $.50 a pack. I can find the source to verify if needed. When I started smoking a pack was $.35 a pack and if they went to $.50 I was quiting. I bet I waste that much a day in scraps unintentionaly or just try to maintain a huge supply so where to put them.

Fisherman

i read an article about the chop chop tobacco in either new zealand or australia and the official was first condemming the tobacco growers as spreading disease thru improper curing and then bidging about lost revenue . Wonder what he will do when there is no more tobacco??? I am sure they will do like that New Yark mayor did and attack cokes and sugar maybe

Status
Not open for further replies.