Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

the Black Thumb Shrivel Log

Status
Not open for further replies.

workhorse_01

My first years here with a garden I dug a hole like you said, then last year I took my tractor and dug a canal at the lowest point and added the soil from the canal to the garden effectively raising it 6-8" that worked great last year, but this year we've had more rain than we've had any year since we moved here 9 yrs. ago. It just keeps coming. I'd be ok if it would skip another week. Just no more 4 day rains all day and all night.
Webmost

This is a prime example of digging a pond . I have seen where a lot of people want to dig a hole in their yard and put tobacco in it . Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't . It is the soil and drainage .If the soil doesn't drain then it would be just like a bucket filling up with no where to go . Under your soil there is a layer that is called a hard pan .Depth to a hard pan varies .

We use a subsoiler It fits on the back of a tractor to bust up the hard pan layer . After a couple of years we have to go back and subsoil again . The hard pan will harden back over .

I also use tile like Michibacy said , to drain fields that are more wet than others . But there is some soil that will not drain no matter how you try and drain it .

BarG

Founding Member
shrivel thumb my ass, show the real deal I know you got a giant plot dont ya with tilled in horse manure.and a bunch of fish fed seedlings. heh heh You got me last year.

webmost

and then, to top it all off, this morning we get frost!

I tell you this gorebull warbling is kickin our heinies

webmost

Here are the last two hardy survivors as of yesterday:

sprouts05-19-2013.jpg

I know, right? Almost too tiny to see.

webmost

... then today, jitterbugdude chimes in with a PM offering me some more sprouts to shrivel up. Life is good.Hope to get up with him this weekend.

webmost

Okay this is just getting ridiculous. Cold. Great googly moogly, Supposed to be sweltering hot on Memorial Day Weekend. I rode the big beemer bagger 2 1/2 hours to McSherrystown PA yesterday, had to wear boots and knee socks, layers, and leather. On the way back about 3 pm I stopped for pit beef in a fire hall parking lot -- the gals had on down vests and knit hats. Dang gorebull warbling is kicking our butts round these parts.

Poor little plants are shivering in their bed -- all two of them still left alive, that is.

Heading out today to meet up with Jitterbug Dude, who's offered to hand me a couple new plants. I don't envy those unlucky sprouts. It's like climbing on the train to Auschwitz when you're a plant headed for this house.

When's it going to warm up? Anyone know?

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
haha twice so far the wood stove has been put up for the last time of the season, but i had it running again last night. wtf, i dunno

the plants are doing fine out there, without the heat they arent flourishing, but they arent dying either. are you making sure you dont transplant too early? i noticed when i transplanted ones that were too young they were plagued by all kinds of issues from weather to bugs, if i wanted another few weeks to set them out they had a good grasp on life.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
its hard to see the picture above, but my gut instinct is to say plants that look like that need anywhere from 2 weeks to a month before they are ready to go into the bed.

webmost

I tell you that Jitterbugdude has a green thumb. I rode over to his palatial digs yesterday. He laid a half dozen of his surplus sprouts on me. Came home, set this one down on the garden bed right beside mine. Looky this yellow orinoco of his:

comparesprouts.png

Shameful, innit?

webmost

After so much prolonged cool weather, the heat came and hit us like a ton of kiln fired bricks. Enough to wilt the Yellow Orinoco which Jitterbigdude gave me. So this morning, I arranged a parasol, at least until the wee sproutlets have a chance to get their feet in the ground.

gardenshade.png

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
im gonna have to get your man card sir;

you have been caught watering with a PINK watering can....you must submit your man card!!!!!!!

we will hold a meeting,,,,and determine at a later date if your worthy to get your man card back.

workhorse_01

I thought what a guy when I saw the choice of poles you used to hold the tarp but then I couldn't help but notice the pink can! Man card, hand it over, and the He Man Woman Haters Club card!
im gonna have to get your man card sir;

you have been caught watering with a PINK watering can....you must submit your man card!!!!!!!

we will hold a meeting,,,,and determine at a later date if your worthy to get your man card back.

Status
Not open for further replies.