Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

How to make swedish snus

G-Chew

Great idea! That's way I like about this forum! You guys are always willing to share your thoughts! I'm pretty much brain dead so this really helps me! LOL!

I looked into a PID a while back but can't remember where I researched it at...would you be so kind as to share where you would suggest I go to find more info about a PID? I want to become more in control!

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Great idea! That's way I like about this forum! You guys are always willing to share your thoughts! I'm pretty much brain dead so this really helps me! LOL!

I looked into a PID a while back but can't remember where I researched it at...would you be so kind as to share where you would suggest I go to find more info about a PID? I want to become more in control!
Google "ranco"

G-Chew

I don't think he can mean plastic it would melt ... probably pyrex. Glass would also be fine.

The key thing to do is raise the temperature for the right amount of time - I don't even use an oven - I put my snus mix in a mason jar sat in water in a crockpot that's been hacked to give more control over the temperature by fitting a PID unit and temperature probe (just cuts the power when it goes over a certain temperature and turns it back on when it falls below that temperature) - you could probably just pass the power through a dimmer and get similar results.

You can do it hotter for a shorter time or a bit cooler for longer and that also affects how the snus tastes.

85ºC (185ºF) for 2 days gives a darker caramelized flavour
70ºC (158ºF) for 5 days gives a more rounded lighter taste

But the key thing is to try to make sure that the snus stays at a constant(ish) temperature

Question:
Do you seal your mason jars or just leave em open?

jojjas

Hi folks
I am sorry that i was not clear enough in the description of snus-making , i am not use to wright in english so i could be a little unclear sometimes and i apologizes that

I think squeezyjohn has answered the questions ocurred the right way
It dont have to be a plastic container ( but i use plastic lunchbox heat resistance to max 120° C(248° F)) , but the lid have to be sealed to keep the moisture inside during "cooking "

Tip , if water is used to moist to dry snus boil the water first and let it cool down ,then add to snus , it reduces risk of it gets moldy ,if it get moldy then heat it in a micro-wave oven for short time to kill the mold and mix it then store it cold , you can store it in the freezer if you prefer that and only have a small amount what you consume for the next week or so
Mikael

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
-Quite exactly as I do my ..
-Do I dare ask what tobacco variants using Michael?

Well one thing you can do snuff at lower temp and then increase the time (original recipe is at 70 degrees celsius in 5-7 days if I remember correctly now) ..

jojjas

-Quite exactly as I do my ..
-Do I dare ask what tobacco variants using Michael?

Well one thing you can do snuff at lower temp and then increase the time (original recipe is at 70 degrees celsius in 5-7 days if I remember correctly now) ..

I usually use what i can get my hands on, to make snus i prefer burley or cigar variants
As a pipe smoker i blend my own mixtures and to that i prefer virginia and oriental so thats is what i am growing

squeezyjohn

I've recently been making different "puro" snus batches to play around with the way the different tobacco tastes when it's gone through the processes. Very interesting results.

I haven't done it with a Burley yet as I know that's the variety most often used commercially.

My favourite so far was done with Don's flue-cured virginia brightleaf. Because the virginia is a bit lighter in nicotine than the Burley - I used only tobacco flour from the lamina and made it with no other flavouring ingredients apart from salt and the potassium carbonate. It is a little bit light flavoured but you can still taste the grass and vanilla notes of the original tobacco - and because there is no stems in the flour it is very very fine ground and the snus behaves like play-doh! As a taste it is most like the brands Göteborgs Prima Fint or Blå snus.

jojjas

I use the whole leaf and as one mingy bastard i even use stems from my pipe-tobacco experiments , and i like my snus a little bit more course and usually flavor it with juniper essence ( 1 or 2 coffespon to 1 kg snus) to taste like Göteborgs Rape´(for you english speaking boys its pronounced like this "rappee") , or flavor it with bergamott for taste like General-snus

workhorse_01

This batch I used half one sucker half burley and one 36" fire cured leaf from BigBonner. It already smells and taste like Copenhagen, so I think I've found it at last. I mixed the ammonium carbonate with the sodium carbonate and added 3 tbl spoons corn licker. It's in the oven at 200*F in a mason jar. I cant wait for the final taste.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
This batch I used half one sucker half burley and one 36" fire cured leaf from BigBonner. It already smells and taste like Copenhagen, so I think I've found it at last. I mixed the ammonium carbonate with the sodium carbonate and added 3 tbl spoons corn licker. It's in the oven at 200*F in a mason jar. I cant wait for the final taste.
I don't use the stuff but sounds like you're zeroing in on what you like. Good Luck.

John

workhorse_01

Just for the record, Go lightly on the ammonium carbonate! I'm going to run a second batch through without the ammonium carbonate, and mix it with what I just made. The flavor is remarkable, but the ammonium carb will knock you down, then wake you back up. 1/2 teaspoon to a pint is too much.

workhorse_01

Flavor, and I think the alcohol helps you absorb the nicotine. Ethyl alcohol is in Copenhagen's recipe so it only makes sense that it will be in mine.

alopezg1

Gear needed

Hand cranked (old style) meat grinder, dont use your household electric grinder , it will shurley die, mine did
View attachment 4982

Oven with a good thermomether
View attachment 4983

A good scale
View attachment 4984

Mixer
View attachment 4985

and some ovenproof plastic containers with lid
View attachment 4986

First
You could use any kind of tobacco leafs you want, even stems could be used ( i prefer burley and or virginia) , but they must be wery dry or it became to heavy to grind them you could even use unfermented leafs only they are dry
Grind tobaccoleafs to fine powder, somthing between fine sawdust and oatmeal flour

when that is done ,
ad equal parts tobacco flour with boiling water with approx 50-70g salt ( 2-2,75 oz) you could use more salt if you prefer

ex: 0.5kg tobacco you should mix with 0.5l water

Then mixed tobacco and salty water together so everything is well mixed and then put it in the plastic container and press it hard with the end of a wooden plank or somthing similar put on the lid and make sure its tight

When that is done fire up the oven ,and make sure that temprature is stable about 90°C (±5°C)
Place the container in the oven for 24h (here is the fermentation occurs)
After 24 h take out the container and mix the tobacco so there are no lumps

Next step is a little bit crittical , do this out side ,if its hot direct from oven it can irritate your eyes and nose when you mix it together
Boil 0.25l water with 40-70 g of sodium carbonate and add to the tobacco (i prefer 45-50g) if you want stronger (more nicotin ,more strenght) snus use the high dosage
then put it in the plastic container and press it hard with the end of a wooden plank or somthing similar put on the lid and make sure its tight
place it in the oven for 12h 90°c

After 12h take out the snus from the oven, let it cool down, mix it well so there are no lumps , and now its the time add flavor and if you want , some substans to keep it moist
Store it in refrigerator to keep it moist and fresh

Mikael

This is great Mikael

I was wondering, i want to make some portion snus as well as los. There is something different about the tobacco in portion snus though and i am not sure what, it seems coarser and dry compared to los . Is there any special process to make snus better suited for portions ? many thanks

POGreen

Over here we can buy empty pouches with 2 sealed ends in the pouch , its pretty long , so one can make 2 pouches out of 1 of them.
What I can figure out , there is no difference in tobacco concerning pouch/loose snus.
The Goal is still to find yourself tobacco that matches your own taste.
Use a high temperature when heattreating the snus and you'll be greatly rewarded when having the finished product.
I use 100 C+ degs when I treat mine or 212 F over a period of 1 hole week , take the batch out every day to check watercontent + stir the flour.
Storing the batch for some time will make wonders to your ownmade snus.

jojjas

This is great Mikael

I was wondering, i want to make some portion snus as well as los. There is something different about the tobacco in portion snus though and i am not sure what, it seems coarser and dry compared to los . Is there any special process to make snus better suited for portions ? many thanks

I dont realy know if there is an different recepie for snus to porttion snus but , i use the same snus my portion snus
And maybe it would be easier to fill the bags with snus when it is a little bit dryer

This is what PO write about

I bought bags from this site http://www.pgw.se/portionspasar-for-snus.html
Cut them i 2 pieces and fill them whit snus in each half
20140209_153813.jpg
I have made an injector , ( made of an plastic tube and a pushrod inside it )
fill the bags , its also wery useful have some sort of stand for the bags
20140209_154334.jpg
Then borrow your wifes straightener (dont tell her about that) , and sealed the bags
20140209_154518.jpg
Now you are ready for a visit from your mother in law or president Obama
Its probably the same standards of theres visit:cool: