Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

How to make swedish snus

jojjas

To made my snus making more easily , i motorized my meat grinder
2 hp electric motor just do the trick
attachment.php

0.5 kg ( just over 1 lbs) was grinded in 10 minutes ,with stems and all
It´s time to order 11 lbs of treshed tobacco from WLT http://wholeleaftobacco.com/Threshed-Stripped-Tobacco-11-pound-bag-FCVTrshd.htm
to speed things up
attachment.php

Why have i not do this years ago , it would save mea lot of work

Attachments

• 20141110_183937.jpg
    20141110_183937.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 145
  • 20141110_183925.jpg
    20141110_183925.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 145

DGBAMA

To made my snus making more easily , i motorized my meat grinder
2 hp electric motor just do the trick
attachment.php

0.5 kg ( just over 1 lbs) was grinded in 10 minutes ,with stems and all
It´s time to order 11 lbs of treshed tobacco from WLT http://wholeleaftobacco.com/Threshed-Stripped-Tobacco-11-pound-bag-FCVTrshd.htm
to speed things up
attachment.php

Why have i not do this years ago , it would save mea lot of work

Well done. May consider adding a support bearing on the outside of the big pulley, to lessen the side load on the grinder imposed by the belt. Unless the grinder has ball bearings it will wear out quickly.

I motorized a hops grinder in a similar way but supported the pulley on both sides so there was no side load on the grinder shaft. Just an idea.
14191675720780.jpg

jojjas

Well done. May consider adding a support bearing on the outside of the big pulley, to lessen the side load on the grinder imposed by the belt. Unless the grinder has ball bearings it will wear out quickly.

I motorized a hops grinder in a similar way but supported the pulley on both sides so there was no side load on the grinder shaft. Just an idea.
attachment.php
Good idea DGBAMA , i have not thought of that but it shure worth thinking of

DGBAMA

Also note the coupler between the pulley shaft and grinder, designed to slip in the event of a bad jam, instead of breaking stuff.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Also note the coupler between the pulley shaft and grinder, designed to slip in the event of a bad jam, instead of breaking stuff.

How does the coupler work to "slip" in the event of a jam? It looks like a regular old coupler to me. Does it have rubber spider gears in it?

jojjas

Made a batch of snus the latest week 9 lbs or 4,1 kg (made 15,5 lbs or 7 kg a month earlier , all gone) with my newley developed recepie.
The standard recipie in the first post here but ad about 0.7oz or 20 grams of grinded deer tounge , flavoured with 1 coffe spoon juniper oil ,1 coffe spoon bergamott oil , 8 coffe spoons of cocoa and at last 2 table spoons of calvados (yummy)
20150614_135152.jpg
Striking success, labrats eat all of it and come back with their friends for more ,

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Jojjas: You have really done a terrific work! Iam really impressed. It take me alot of time to trash my tobacco, it's funny to stand in the garage and make it but you have really make me think, and I must say that you are amazing

jojjas

Jojjas: You have really done a terrific work! Iam really impressed. It take me alot of time to trash my tobacco, it's funny to stand in the garage and make it but you have really make me think, and I must say that you are amazing
Naaa , not that funny to grind it , the fun is to figure out improvment , in every aspect , to try new ideas and maybe reject them and think in a another direction , and somtime succeed , that is rewarding

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
LOL, for me it's more like my time to think about things..
Iam more in to make different mixes, very low nicotine/high nicotine- much tease/less tease..
One thing is for shore: Start making my own is the best thing I ever done..

But I really like your construction.. Not so special when I think about it but nice.. And I think it wake me up..

jaysalti

How is this different from moist snuff? I hear snus all the time and I don't know the difference. The only difference between this and my recipe is I add ammonium carbonate and I don't use the metric system. LOL I've been using Copenhagen original for about 35yrs. I guess you could say anything I make is going to taste like that.

Firstly, apologies for reviving an old thread. I spend most all my here lurking, but saw this whilst searching around for diy snuff and snus. Mikael has done a great job with explaining how to formulate a tasty batch, and explain the moist snuff/snus connection. Just to add a bit to the conversation, traditional Swedish snus (and a select few iterations today) were fermented. The main difference now being a vast majority of today's Swedish snus is pasteurized. This helps lower the nitrosamines within the product. Snus is regulated by GOTHIATEK, which is basically their version of the FDA, as a food product. Swedish snus is a wonderful tobacco product!