Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Powermatic S tobacco shredder SALE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wagner

johnlee, cleaning is a necessity, otherwise it'll gack up the cutter. I clean mine the same way Bobora does, then the last few squirts (after it runs clean w/ water) from a bottle of rubbing alcohol. My air compressor blows away any excess moisture.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
johnlee, cleaning is a necessity, otherwise it'll gack up the cutter. I clean mine the same way Bobora does, then the last few squirts (after it runs clean w/ water) from a bottle of rubbing alcohol. My air compressor blows away any excess moisture.
Thanks. I can do that. Do you squirt the water in the front like the leaf and do you run it backward like Boboro?

Boboro

Boboro,
I agree. I have had mine for about a year now. It is one of the early models. Other than tightening the offending gear box screw (once) and then installing the (FREE) upgraded gear box I have had no problems. I do not use it as hard as some of the guys (about two cartons a week) and have never run really high case leaf thru it. It is an excellent machine.

Just as an aside I run all my cigar scraps thru it (not ribs) and my buddy and his wife are experimenting with Havana.Virginia blends. They are zeroing in on a blend she likes better than the Marboro Lite blend we have been making.

When you are cleaning it where do you spray the water in? In the front like leaf or up from the bottom? Do you tip or tilt it in any special way? I have never cleaned mine and think it might be a good idea now. Since I have the old model how often do you recommend grease in the gear box?

Thanks,
Just spray from the top. I did greese the gears when I had it apart. I wouldnt take it a part just to grease it. till I run it a lot.

Wagner

Yes, water goes in the leaf hole up front. Cleaning from underneath would let water run too close to electric stuff. I do it in the normal, upright position and let gravity channel away the water.

(faster on the draw than I am Boboro)

bonehead

i have the old model powermatic shredder (round vent holes in the front) and i finally jamed it up yesterday. i took it apart this morning after years of use and abuse and cleaned it. it works like a champ again. i didnt grease the gears so i will do that before i run to much more tobacco through it. i don't know what i would do with out it. from now on i will clean it like some people recomend. this thing has done so much work for me i better start taking care of it. man i was scared. what would i do without my shredder ever for a little while?

Rickey60

i have the old model powermatic shredder (round vent holes in the front) and i finally jamed it up yesterday. i took it apart this morning after years of use and abuse and cleaned it. it works like a champ again. i didnt grease the gears so i will do that before i run to much more tobacco through it. i don't know what i would do with out it. from now on i will clean it like some people recomend. this thing has done so much work for me i better start taking care of it. man i was scared. what would i do without my shredder ever for a little while?
Ditto with your statement. I have the newer model and was wandering if I need to grease the gears on it every now and then?

Alhefner

What are the four extra screws for? I just got one in and there are four extra black screws in a little baggie. Can't see a place to use them! Anyway, I have shredded a couple of leaves and I LOVE the shred! It's a kind of shag cut with crosscut. Looks like it will be perfect cut for blending tobacco and making cigarettes!

Last edited:

Brown Thumb

What are the three extra screws for? I just got one in and there are four extra black screws in a little baggie. Can't see a place to use them! Anyway, I have shredded a couple of leaves and I LOVE the shred! It's a kind of shag cut with crosscut. Looks like it will be perfect cut for blending tobacco and making cigarettes!
There rubber feet for the bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.