madhouse

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
What great articles, and with dozens of spectacular photos:

ee19b9164f5024cfcd15dbdc20aac124_big.jpg

Bob

Fisherman

c17e11a8684fe66ce00ae96e5f1d5ef5_big.jpg29eb293ff1e107b7b13698922cb3ba2b_big.jpgca6cc5b78c4651b99c24b5e8c29b4826_big.jpg

"Collect the first tobacco leaves from mid-July and lasts until the end of August, when the leaves begin to turn yellow. "

WHere are the yellow leaves? ever notice they always tell you this and then all they pick is green ones :)

jekylnz

"Collect the first tobacco leaves from mid-July and lasts until the end of August, when the leaves begin to turn yellow. "

WHere are the yellow leaves? ever notice they always tell you this and then all they pick is green ones :)

I have noticed and seen this a few different times...confusing? ?? They all look pretty green to me? ?

johnlee1933

Founding Member

I think that makes sense. If I read it right they stop picking when the leaves start to yellow so naturally all you would see them picking are green.

Fisherman

reason I am concerned is I dont know when to pick mine. One thing says wait till yellow and the other says when crisp and green. :(
Im growing brightleaf virginia.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
reason I am concerned is I dont know when to pick mine. One thing says wait till yellow and the other says when crisp and green. :(
Im growing brightleaf virginia.
Deluxe Bob wrote a post a while back indicating leaves for cigars were picked earlier than those for cigs. I can't find the thread. I pick for cigars only so that's the way I do it. Perhaps BigBonner will chime in about cig tobaccos.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
For white-stem burleys, you can allow the entire plant to yellow, then stalk harvest it. For bright leaf (Virginias), which I prime leaf-by-leaf, I usually wait for a leaf to get at least a slight yellow tip. In general, yellowing is a sign of ripeness.

Cigar leaf is primed at a mature, but not yet ripe stage. A mature leaf, which is all green, shows some corrugation, and crispness, as well as a subtle change to a deeper color. A mature leaf will snap off the stalk like celery.

So, for your Virginia, make sure the leaf is at least mature, preferably somewhat ripe. For flue-curing, allowing more ripeness will (like fruit) give you a bit sweeter leaf. For air-curing Virginia, it probably doesn't matter.

These are just my approach. Some folks like to harvest very ripe leaf. The riper the leaf at harvest, the easier it is to color-cure.

Bob

Fisherman

Ok thanks Me Deluxe and Mr Johnlee. I went and picked 50 leaves real quick and gottem hanging. Most are ok but some are sorta ragged out. Dam me and that iron spray :(

Status
Not open for further replies.