Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Plants getting thrashed by wind, drizzle

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOtherOne

I woke up this morning and went to do a wellness check on my garden. I was alarmed to see that my largest rustica was completely folded back on itself, and it's larger leaves where mostly blown in one direction. It doesn't look broken or damaged, but it definately doesn't look happy. We're expecting 15-20 mph winds this week. The main plant isn't really tall enough to tie to it's bamboo stake yet, it's mostly the large leaves I'm worried about...
it's got two sets of 4-6 in leaves, the rest are quite small.

skychaser

Rusticas are tough. It will be fine. And picking suckers off Rustica is really pointless. They don't grow like tobaccum varieties do. Just let them grow.

skychaser

High winds, hail or torrential rain can hurt any plant, so if you can protect them some you certainly have nothing to lose. But tobaccos are pretty tough plants over all. They usually don't need any special care.
What kind of Rustica are you growing?

TheOtherOne

I believe they are hopi, they don't seem the best for my region but I was given the seeds as a gift. My intent was pipe tobacco, and possibly making thin rolling papers by pressing the dried leaves. Thanks for the advice, I guess if I'm not sheltering anything else out there, it was just alarming to see the leaves flopping in the wind like that.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I believe they are hopi, they don't seem the best for my region but I was given the seeds as a gift. My intent was pipe tobacco, and possibly making thin rolling papers by pressing the dried leaves. Thanks for the advice, I guess if I'm not sheltering anything else out there, it was just alarming to see the leaves flopping in the wind like that.
Used wood pallets are dirt cheap (read - free if you haul them) around here. I think pallets standing on edge with a brace of some kind would make a pretty fair wind break. If too much air gets thru double them up with the second layer rotated 90 degrees. They might also double as an arbor for a climbing crop.

TheOtherOne

I just went out and it was completely bent over, I stacked a rocks around the base, I had the plant in a pot with obsidian shards on the soil surface (to prevent cats) and that seemed to have shred one of the bottom leaves (big mistake I guess) I'm thinking since we can't get into town, maybe a cow panel with something lodged in the holes... I'm still trying to leave it alone as much as possible like sky said...

LeftyRighty

Founding Member
had the same problem - had 20-30 mph winds a couple days after planting my starts, and they really took a beating. It's a week later now, and they're recovering. Although, I did lose a couple plants, stems broke off at ground level, but I do have extra starts to replace them.
Always wondered about putting a snow-fence around my garden.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
Survey stakes...Road signs..you collect alot of unusual stuff for your occupation truck driving.lol

i just put a MACHETE in the truck,,,,im gonna start getting some bamboo. mainly for the cages, im gonna construct for my tomatoes,

Status
Not open for further replies.