Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

'' OLD FARMING'' picture thread, photo's of day's gone bye.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokin Harley

Tennents ? Tenants = Someone you rent or lease a home to for them to live in .

I use to know dates of barns by the way they were sawn . Hand hewed was oldest , Straight sawn saw marks was next then circular saw marks was last . Straight saw marks was with a hand saw going in a straight direction . Curved saw marks was with a circular saw blade .
Pegged barns was made with holes and pegs made of wood that held the joints together . I have seen pegs used on Hand Hewed timbers , straight cut barn post and some circular cut barn timbers . But newer barns was nailed together with no wooden pegs .
If you have cable or satellite television watch "Barnwood Builders" ...guys from Lewistown W VA , dismantle , move and rebuild old timberframe and log structures. awesome show , nice pieces of history they work with.

Floppy2

I would love to know how those two men where working off the back of the plow!! How were they doing that? I assume they were planting transplants?

bjr

BigBonner

Founding Member
The barrel is made of wood and looks just like a whiskey barrel . A seat is attached to the barrel that the driver rides on . I have seen one in a barn way back in the middle of some hills .

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
You guys are talking like this is some kind of ancient photo. I see this exact set-up every spring when the Amish are planting. Most are a little bit more modern looking but there are still a few that use the exact same set up as posted in the photo.

webmost

High tension power lines from Peach Bottom reactor stretch across this Amish tobacco field near Strasburg; but no wires lead to the farmer's house.
Strasburg_20160903.jpg

A cutting edge crossing a well-worn cutting board.

I wanted to snap a pic of one of several fields we whizzed by en route to Mechanicsburg where we saw leaves stacked to dry in stooks on the way up; but by the time we rolled back looking for them, they'd already been toted away to their barns. All those barns look damn full, yet plenty more to harvest.

You guys ever stook your leaves?

So verdant. Wonderful soil. A picturesque life. A bountiful God, loved at a natural pace.

In addition to the retired trotters pulling buggies, we saw a couple teams of six Belgians pulling disc harrows, a miniature horse pulling a wee two wheel cart with two five year olds driving, closely followed by their proud papa overseeing their driving lesson from his two wheel gig, wagon loads of harvest headed for the barn, and even a gasoline powered lawn mower pulled by a slow horse.

In Amish country, you see hitching rails in the parking lots of of every hardware store.

I went to Mechanicsburg with my puter hardware vendor, to finish an install at our sister company. He drove his Acura; I rode shotgun. Passing a trio of carts on our way back, he wondered whether these carts were required to buy insurance, like a car. I opined as how they had the best insurance: one another. Last year, several tornadoes touched down in the area, destroying an Amish school and a farm, putting both out of business. By the time the news crew arrived at the house, women were already setting up their field kitchens (they have special carts for this, equipped with everything from kettles to forks), young men were dismantling the wreck of a barn roof, old men sharpening their saws. The news crew interviewed a white bearded patriarch. He said there was another crew at the school who'd have the place ready to re-open by Monday. They hoped to have the barn re-roofed today, the family settled at neighbors, the house next week. No waiting for the adjustor, no arguing with some huge faceless company, no waiting for estimates, contractors, checks to pay them with. No petitions to the congressman to get FEMA off its ass a year and a half later. The best insurance no money can buy. The premium? Pitch in.

We, at the faraway end of that high tension line, we think we're smart, and that they, at their end, they're backwards.

BigBonner

Founding Member
I am assuming that's is burley . It will be cut and put on a stick at the same time .
If it was Maryland it will be stalk cut and laid down for a couple of hours to wilt then put on a stick whole stalk .
They sure put the sucker control on it . See the yellow where the sucker control hit the leaves and green where sucker control didn't hit on parts of the leaves .

Floppy2

They have already participated in this forum in a way that only they can. They showed us what it means to live free. That is more valuable right now than all the money in the world.

bjr

webmost

I am assuming that's is burley . It will be cut and put on a stick at the same time .
If it was Maryland it will be stalk cut and laid down for a couple of hours to wilt then put on a stick whole stalk .
They sure put the sucker control on it . See the yellow where the sucker control hit the leaves and green where sucker control didn't hit on parts of the leaves .

I woulda assumed it was broadleaf. But you'd know better than me. FX Smith's gets their leaf here. You can find small muslin covered patches growing CT shade, too. But most of it grows in the sun like this.

What is sucker control? Why's it make yellow?

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
I woulda assumed it was broadleaf. But you'd know better than me. FX Smith's gets their leaf here. You can find small muslin covered patches growing CT shade, too. But most of it grows in the sun like this.

..IMG_20160827_244712577.jpgIMG_20160827_244707861.jpgIMG_20160827_244659058.jpg

i got me a 1/2 gallon of it for next year,,

BigBonner

Founding Member

Ct Broad leaf will not get that yellow when it is ripe . Maryland will not get that yellow when ripe .

Sucker control is a chemical ( maleic hydrazide ) that is sprayed on to keep tobacco from suckering . Kills suckers and you don't have to remove them by hand .

Here is a load of Ct Broadleaf that has had no sucker control and was ready for cutting .
HuisYZt.jpg

ChinaVoodoo

I read this today. I found it very interesting because it's tobacco history for a place I've been plenty. Chillardbee lives there. My dad lived there. I imagine tobacco history can be taken for granted when you live in the east because there's so much, and these stories of tobacco in the lower mainland are admittedly insignificant by comparison, but I gain a sense of drunken fitting into history with this.
http://www.yarrowbc.ca/settlers/tobaccoindustry.html

Status
Not open for further replies.