Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Transplanting Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

DGBAMA

When transplanting from cell trays to cups how deep does everyone bury the seedlings?

Have some seedlings looking "leggy", growing upward faster than they can support themselves in addition to just plain looking crowded in the 72 cell trays. Just want to be sure it ok to bury them deeper when moving to cups. If I can get this done, I will be getting lights put over them, as i beleive my natural window lighting is not enough.

Boboro

I have planted them a little deeper and it didnt hurt them. Put them outside if it ant rainin. The sun and wind will makem tuff.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
When I transplanted to the field, I snipped off the lower round leaves and buried them up to the first true leaf, which had been trimmed anyway.

AmaxB

This is my first year ... but as stated above you can. I have moved a few of mine more than once and have taken them to the leaves and just below the leaves with out any problems.
I would like to know if bending the tap root matters?

DGBAMA

thanks. I have always done this with my tomatos, eg a 6" tall plant is buried about half way when planting. Just wanted to confirm it was ok with tobacco.

DrBob

Founding Member
thanks. I have always done this with my tomatos, eg a 6" tall plant is buried about half way when planting. Just wanted to confirm it was ok with tobacco.

I always have planted mine deeper also. Just as I do tomato's

DGBAMA

Anyone punch holes in the bottom of the cups and place them in "trays" so they can be bottom watered? or just water them individually when the soil begins to dry out?

skychaser

Anyone punch holes in the bottom of the cups and place them in "trays" so they can be bottom watered? or just water them individually when the soil begins to dry out?

Yup. It's the only way I water. And if your plants are "leggy" they aren't getting enough light.

DGBAMA

Yup. It's the only way I water. And if your plants are "leggy" they aren't getting enough light.

Yup? which way?

And yes, I believe light has been my problem. Will be getting that taken care of when I get them into cups.

Fisherman

I do use solo cups and set in gutter of water for easy watering and they thrive. Takes a week and roots are out bottom

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I would like to know if bending the tap root matters?
When you bend the lower stem of a leggy tomato seedling, all of the buried stem will form anchoring roots. This approach to transplanting tomatoes is helpful in avoiding having the initial roots down in subsoil (if your topsoil is shallow or your garden tends to be boggy).

Last year (2012), I did this with a number of very leggy Smyrna #9 tobacco plants. The bent, buried stem never formed additional roots along its length. As the plants grew taller, all of these tended to tip over, rotating the bent, buried stem.

So, with tomatoes, it's common to lay the root sideways, and bend the stem to vertical. With tobacco, this approach seems to prevent the plant from firmly anchoring itself. So I would not recommend it.

Bob

AmaxB

When you bend the lower stem of a leggy tomato seedling, all of the buried stem will form anchoring roots. This approach to transplanting tomatoes is helpful in avoiding having the initial roots down in subsoil (if your topsoil is shallow or your garden tends to be boggy).

Last year (2012), I did this with a number of very leggy Smyrna #9 tobacco plants. The bent, buried stem never formed additional roots along its length. As the plants grew taller, all of these tended to tip over, rotating the bent, buried stem.

So, with tomatoes, it's common to lay the root sideways, and bend the stem to vertical. With tobacco, this approach seems to prevent the plant from firmly anchoring itself. So I would not recommend it.

Bob
Thanks Bob
But was asking about the tap root it's self. When transplanting the little sprouts I have been trying to make a hole deep enough for the root. Plus getting the root into the little hole can be a job when trying not to hurt it.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Tobacco seedlings have a single primary root when they are small. By the time they are ready for transplant, there should be a whole nest of side roots. The mature tobacco plant has no tap root, and the widely spreading roots (as much as 18" or more from the plant) remain fairly shallow. (In a pot, they also go down to fill most of the cramped quarters.)

When I transplant, I use a small garden trowel. I sink the trowel deeper than the depth of the roots, and drag the trowel a bit, while placing the transplant alongside it, slightly deeper than it had been growing. When the trowel is removed, the loose soil engulfs the root ball. I mound the soil a little, then compress it around the new plant.

Bob

indianjoe

Founding Member
After seedlings develop, water from the bottom to promote root growth to form deep roots. If you water from the top only, the roots and root hairs tend to be more surface oriented and will not be as likely to initially seek deeper when transplanted, nor be as diverse in spreading.

Status
Not open for further replies.