Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Hello from southern illinois

Status
Not open for further replies.

coupon-clipping-granny

Hi, I am new to growing tobacco and i already have my seeds in peat pods and germinating. If anyone wants to leave me any suggestions I would much appreciate it, thanks.

jekylnz

Welcome to the best baccer site there is.. .you can be our site honorary grandma..I bet youve got some good cooking recipes the boys would be most appreciative to try..your come to the right place..feel free to ask any questions everyones pretty accommodating and friendly..good luck with your up coming grow..what varieties are you growing this season? ?

coupon-clipping-granny

The ones I got in are Tennessee Lite Burley Tobacco I usually smoke full flavor but I was not sure about how strong it would be so I got light lol. Could you tell me if this is a good brand? I got a lot of great recipes from my grandma and would love sharing and swapping recipes.

DGBAMA

As far as I know there is no limitation on how many plants may be grown for personal use.

When you say seeds "in" peat pods, I hope you did not actually cover the seeds, as they will not germinate properly. The seeds need to be "surface sown". I am on my first year too, so lots to learn. Welcome to the group.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
It's tough to recommend a "good seed" because everyone has different tastes. You probably will not like your selection of Lite Burley for this year's grow. Burley is used as a minor blending tobacco in cigarettes. You need some Flue cured types of tobacco, also referred to as a Virginia. Your best bet at this point would be to PM BigBonner and order already started plants from him.

Welcome~

jekylnz

The ones I got in are Tennessee Lite Burley Tobacco I usually smoke full flavor but I was not sure about how strong it would be so I got light lol. Could you tell me if this is a good brand? I got a lot of great recipes from my grandma and would love sharing and swapping recipes.

If your burley comes out any thing like the name..(lite) it should be ok..as most burleys are toasted to mellow them out..cause they can be quite strong..usually burley is only used in about 10-30% amounts of a whole cigarette blend..along with a Turkish/oriental type at around about similar amounts (maybe bit less)..in saying that though. .some blends are made of up to six varieties. .even more(or less)..once you get familiar with what different types taste like and which parts they make up..you will be better at making a blend you like..

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Morning Granny and welcome to FTT. AS a newbie I think you'll find the FAQ's at the top of the page a good place to start.

There are a hundreds of different tobaccos. Finding out what you like is going to be a job. In my eyes it's not only worth it, it's fun. It's kinda like cooking. You take a basic recipe and mess with it till you get what YOU like. There's no guarentee that others will agree with you. That said, there are quite a lot of folks who agree the common cigs are a blend of approximately 60-70% virginia bright leaf, 10-12% burley and the rest oriental/Turkish. You should understand that are lots of different kinds of tobacco in each of the named groups. As with anything else there are lot's of liars who will tell you anything to sell what they have to sell. (Ever heard of "faster" yeast?) LOL Certainly growing your own is the cheapest way to go but Don (FmGrowit) and Larry (BigBonner) sell whole leaf at reasonable prices (check them both out) and that's not a bad way to get a feeling for what you like. Buying whole leaf and cig tubes you can have quality cigs for about $20/carton. You will need to invest in a cig stuffer of some kind and a shredder is a good investment. My best guess is that you will eventually invest about $400 in equipment. If you smoke a carton a month at $90/carton you will have your money back in less than a year and be smoking chemical free quality cigs.

Now let's mention the nasty. There is some work (yes, I said WORK) involved. Again it's like cooking. If you're willing to work at it a little you get really great eating. If not go to MacDonald's. Yeah, you get crap food for more money but it's easy. I cook most of my own and roll my own cigars so you know where I stand.

For me the fun and pride in success far out weighs the amount of work I do. First of all much of the work is fun. I have enough ego to like saying "I did it."

Finally, I don't smoke cigs but by buddy and his wife do. The "Marlboro" blend they both like is 70%VA bright leaf, 20% burley and 10% oriental. To change that to a more Camel taste bask off 1% on the oriental and add 1% fire cured (or a bit less, to taste.)

Good luck. Good growing. And confusion to Uncle's tax man.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
You could order the cigarette sampler at www.wholeleaftobacco.com. Play with the blends until you find something you like, then order seedlings of those varieties from BigBonner. This will also give the opportunity of learning how to handle whole leaf, and what equipment you will need as you get into the growing hobby. At this late date, that would be my recommendation. Don (FmGrowit), the owner of wholeleaftobacco, and founder of this site, just had a contest to come up with different cigarette blends, maybe he could recommend something to get you started.

Status
Not open for further replies.