Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

growing turkish

Status
Not open for further replies.

workhorse_01

Ask them if they want to eat? Then point to the patch. LOL. I have to hunt mine down at about 8:00pm They never want to stay inside. You should see their faces when it rains. They say can we get in the pool? and I say yes if I don't hear thunder or see lightning.

BarG

Founding Member
My experience is quite different. When planted at 2' spacing, Turkish varieties produce far more tobacco than when spaced closely. Especially Izmir. But I can't speak to the flavor differences when grown in the traditional ways as opposed to the way most tobacco is grown here in the states. And IMHO, stringing tiny leaf is a hell of a lot more work!
Im hoping to follow last year and stalk cure bursa and ottoman. I was pleased with the results.
But then again I'm all about cutting my labor costs down. You still get to tie all the hands.

Last edited:

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
"Istanbulin" is not in my spell checker dictionary. I'll have to add it. The spell checker always wants to change your forum name to Istanbul, so I always click "Ignore." My real embarassment is when I misspell "Bob," which I've done twice.

Boob

johnlee1933

Founding Member
"Istanbulin" is not in my spell checker dictionary. I'll have to add it. The spell checker always wants to change your forum name to Istanbul, so I always click "Ignore." My real embarassment is when I misspell "Bob," which I've done twice.

Boob
Not to worry. We do it all the time. :D

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I prime all of my Oriental varieties, typically in groups of 3 or 4 leaves, as they mature. Occasionally, I will stalk-harvest the upper quarter of the stalk, and just leave that hanging in the shed, as is, for the entire winter.

Bob

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I think it's usually primed when it really ripe, rather than just mature. Crinkley leaves with a good bit of yellow.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
If you watch a dozen tobacco videos from the regions of the old Ottoman Empire, you will see Turkish tobacco being harvested, often as mature, sometimes as ripe (yellow).

Bob

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Maybe I don't have the "fine culture" that the rest of you gentlemen have but I've stalk cured and primed and never could tell the difference. Therefore, I stalk cure all my Turkish. When I strip the leaves after curing I tie all the leaves from each stalk into a hand. I shred the entire hand when I'm ready so maybe since all the leaf positions are mixed together that's why I can't tell a difference... or maybe it's my lack of "culture"

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Maybe I don't have the "fine culture" that the rest of you gentlemen have but I've stalk cured and primed and never could tell the difference. Therefore, I stalk cure all my Turkish. When I strip the leaves after curing I tie all the leaves from each stalk into a hand. I shred the entire hand when I'm ready so maybe since all the leaf positions are mixed together that's why I can't tell a difference... or maybe it's my lack of "culture"

I agree 100%. It's probably your lack of culture. ROFL

Status
Not open for further replies.