Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

vintage cigar cutter??

Status
Not open for further replies.

jekylnz

Hey just wondering if anyone out there knows anything about antique cigar cutters there's one listed on a trade site over here ..it's a German made one with dottatus. solingen inscribed on it 15cm long and 1.8cm wide.does anyone know what it would be worth? 267807166.jpg

workhorse_01

Solingen steel is good steel it will hold it's edge for a long time.
Hey just wondering if anyone out there knows anything about antique cigar cutters there's one listed on a trade site over here ..it's a German made one with dottatus. solingen inscribed on it 15cm long and 1.8cm wide.does anyone know what it would be worth? View attachment 5102

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I bought one of those new in 1971. It's nearly identical, lacking the decorative bronze plates on the sides. Made in Solingen. It was my favorite cigar cutter for years, being the only one on the market at the time that makes a 'V' cut in the cigar head. I still have it.

Unfortunately, after about a decade of use, it needed sharpening. There is no practical way to access the cutting edges at the proper angle to sharpen them. So, for use, I would be disinclined to buy it, since it is probably about 40 years old. As far as antique value, it's pretty.

Bob

jekylnz

has yours got stainless sides or horn .I seen some art deco and nuvo ones go for hundreds. but depends on brands.were its made etc.alot of the English ones are worth quite abit.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Mine is all stainless. The rounded flat of the end opposite the cutting head is designed for prying open wooden cigar boxes. The notch is for removing the nail.

Garden20130522_631_cigarCutter_entire_400.jpg

Garden20130522_629_cigarCutter_head_400.jpg

The single bevel of the cutting edge is on the inside surface of the folded blade.

Garden20130522_630_cigarCutter_imprint_400.jpg

Made in Western Germany.

To me, it's just a tool.

Bob

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Mine is all stainless. The rounded flat of the end opposite the cutting head is designed for prying open wooden cigar boxes. The notch is for removing the nail.
The single bevel of the cutting edge is on the inside surface of the folded blade. Made in Western Germany. To me, it's just a tool. Bob
Bob, the blade arm looks to me like it is held in by one rivet. If that is the case, you could grind/file off the head, drive it out, sharpen the blade and re-install it with a small screw + nut (2-56, 0-80 or some such.) A bit of Loctite would secure the nut without binding till the next time. Send me the O.D. of the rivet and it's length. I probably have the right sized screw in among my screw collection.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
After taking the photos, I noticed that the hinge pin is pretty dinged up. Since I bought it new, I'm guessing that I drove out the pin at some point, in order to try and sharpen it. I just don't remember doing that. If I did resharpen it, it's no longer sharp.

With effective cigar cutters going for less than $2 these days, and no more boxes to pry open, I can't see the advantage of refurbishing this old one. I would classify this gadget alongside the Teck-1 shredder--a great thing in its day, but overtaken by simpler, less labor-intensive technology.

ALSO, since I roll my own cigars one at a time, I cut the head on the rolling board, just before sticking the cigar in my mouth. Don't need no stinkin' cigar cutter.

Bob

johnlee1933

Founding Member
ALSO, since I roll my own cigars one at a time, I cut the head on the rolling board, just before sticking the cigar in my mouth. Don't need no stinkin' cigar cutter. Bob
Oh ye of little imagination. LOL I use a pair of garden shears. Best cutter I have found outside a tuck cutter. Send the offending unit to me and I'll either repair or totally frack it up and return it to you gratis.

leverhead

With effective cigar cutters going for less than $2 these days, and no more boxes to pry open, I can't see the advantage of refurbishing this old one. I would classify this gadget alongside the Teck-1 shredder--a great thing in its day, but overtaken by simpler, less labor-intensive technology.

I'll bet you use one of them touch tone phones with no cord. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.