Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Freshman with problem from Greece

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dimitris

Hi all.
I am glad being member of this great community.Start growing tobacco for the first time six weeks ago. After fixing bad handling of water, my plants (Black Sea Basma from The Tobacco Seed Company)are in this state. What are these white things on the leaves?
Please tell me your opinion.
Thank you very much.maios 2013 035.jpgmaios 2013 032.jpg

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Welcome to FTT Dimitris. Glad to have you aboard. I don't know what they are but I'm sure someone on the forum will. Do they look like worms? Can you see any movement? Can you brush them off? Answers will give the experts more to go on.

jekylnz

welcome to the forum your in the right place to learn....are they insects? afids? otherwise all sorts of crap gets stuck on them..dead sandflies dandylion hairs etc.alot of little insects seem to be attracted to them but end up getting stuck and die..but I dont reconise the white crap? ? just wash it off next time you water it.if they're not alive I wouldn't worry

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Welcome to the forum! You will enjoy this place, lots of abundant information!

Without knowing if there is movement or not it's hard to say, but in the second photo you can see there are white things on/protruding from the soil as well. Perhaps worms/larva from the soil/bugs (possible fly maggots?).

Dimitris

Thank you for the replies.
No,they aren't moving.Can be brushed off and fall on the soil. I guess they are some kind of remains after flies birth.

DonH

To be safe I would spray the leaves with a soapy water solution in the evening to prevent leaf burn in the sun.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Also, It's a little unusual to see aphids this early and on such young plant. Chances are there is an infestation on some nearby plants. Try to find the source of the problem and eliminate them too.

DonH

I just noticed the location. White Fly might be a better guess than aphids. Same remedy though.
Also, it's probably not something to worry about. I've noticed on my plants that the nicotine kills all those small flies. Every morning there would be dead flies on all the leaves.

Dimitris

Thanx.
So, may we say that is not a known disease.If there is not movement may be some crap from the soil.
The soil is a improvised mix (it is one of my mistakes) from commercial planting soil-decomposed horse manure-wood ashes and last years home made compost.Maybe I had to sterilize this mix or use the ordinary potting soil.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Thanx.
So, may we say that is not a known disease.If there is not movement may be some crap from the soil.
The soil is a improvised mix (it is one of my mistakes) from commercial planting soil-decomposed horse manure-wood ashes and last years home made compost.Maybe I had to sterilize this mix or use the ordinary potting soil.
Form what you say and the look of the young plants I think you are in good shape for now.

Jack in NB

Founding Member
My good wife has a recipe for insect control, cheaper than buying insecticidal soap.

She uses Ivory liquid soap, mixed 2 to 4 tablespoons to a gallon of water, sprayed on, soaking the tops and bottoms of the leaves, and coating the stem. She uses it on her roses and house plants. Repeats a week later to catch the newly hatched eggs. A third application may be necessary.

It works well on my tobacco plants too. I get a growl if I forget to refill her sprayer.

As mentioned earlier, it's best done in the evening - or on a cloudy day, if the plants are outside.

MarcL

Γεια σου Δημήτρη,

Και ευπρόσδεκτοι να ΦΧΣ.

Είναι η πρώτη αγγλική γλώσσα σας;

Dimitris

Thank you all for your suggestions.
I'll use that soapy solution.
Forgive my curious English.

Dimitris

Γεια σου Δημήτρη,

Και ευπρόσδεκτοι να ΦΧΣ.

Είναι η πρώτη αγγλική γλώσσα σας;

Ευχαριστώ Μαρκ.
Όχι, τα Αγγλικά δεν είναι η μητρική μου γλώσσα.

Status
Not open for further replies.