Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Reviews of Nicaraguan Habano & Wrapper Samples

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarG

Founding Member
I finally had a chance to break down the large bags of Habano seco and viso into smaller vapor proof bags. First off the leaf was all in excellent condition with absolutly no damage and still in perfect case and I am 100% satisfied.
Next I found the 8-9"x 22" vapor proof bags I also ordered from WLT to be a perfect size for repackaging the leaf for long term storage and usage. They sealed very easy with a household iron laying the open end on a folded towel.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I finally had a chance to break down the large bags of Habano seco and viso into smaller vapor proof bags. First off the leaf was all in excellent condition with absolutly no damage and still in perfect case and I am 100% satisfied.
Next I found the 8-9"x 22" vapor proof bags I also ordered from WLT to be a perfect size for repackaging the leaf for long term storage and usage. They sealed very easy with a household iron laying the open end on a folded towel.

I left the majority of the leaf in the big bags for storage, pulling out about a lb. of each and putting into the smaller bags. You can't beat these bags, I bought several different sizes. 1 lb, 5 lb, etc. for my home grown. Everyone should stock up on the bags, the price is great. I need to reseal the big bags like you recommend, the small bags I'm working out of, I just use tape or clips. I pull a couple wrapper leaves out at a time and seal them in an empty 1 lb. vapor proof bag and mist them to bring them up in case. (I don't smoke cigars everyday, you daily users probably do a lb. at a time)

BarG

Founding Member
I don't reseal after opening , just a couple folds and clothespin or 2. I will need more of the wide 1 lbs also. It takes a while to go thru a lb. of cigar leaf cause theres so many to a lb.

Chris A

Sorry to re-open this one, but is the Criollo & Habano Seco & Viso mentioned the same leaf that Don is currently stocking?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I had to re-read all 6 pages of the thread to understand your question.

Criollo 98 and Nicaragua Habano Seco and Viso are the same as the current stock, though they may vary some (like any natural product) if they are from a different bale/different shipment.

I believe the Criollo 98 offers an earthier taste and aroma than the Habano. The strength (nicotine potency) is lowest in seco, then increases progressively from seco to viso to ligero. I smoke ~5 cigars a day, but can not smoke a cigar of all ligero from either of these two varieties. But the seco alone lacks richness and strength. My preference for a filler blend is lots of seco plus less viso or ligero. Using viso or ligero as a wrapper adds the flavor without as much of the nicotine.

I've recently been smoking some of Don's Aleman (in wrapper, binder and filler grades). I didn't see them on the sites the last time I checked. They are spectacular--especially the Aleman seco binder (which I use as a medium-strength wrapper). I don't know where the Aleman is grown (Aleman is the Spanish word for "German."), but in flavor profile, they resemble Nicaraguan-grown leaf.

Bob

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Anyone have a favorite wrapper type from the varieties dons got 4 sale??
Any preferences..and why??

Based purely on sales, the Maduro is hands down the favorite. Criollo would be next and Ecuador shade last. I'll get the Aleman listed today, but I think it will become as popular as the Maduro. The Aleman Seco Binder (Capa Banda) is some very nice leaf.

Chris A

I'm still in the experimental stage, mixing & blending, but I've yet to roll something I didn't like a lot. The Nic Viso is too strong for me as a puro, but blends well as Deluxe has mentioned. I love the maduro, but I've loved maduro for years. The Criollo wraps Dominican seco well. I have Ecuador Shade from another supplier I got as a sample, and it is wonderful over Dominican as well. Assume Don's is of better quality than what I have based on what I have received from Don in the past. Maybe the wrapper sampler makes sense to try all three. I'm very pleased with what I have purchased. Too bad the Bezuki is no longer available.
I really can't tell you why I like what I do, but everything Don sent is aged well and blends great, and the wrappers are beautiful to look at and roll with.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I'm running pretty much with the sales trend. Maduro, then the Criollo 98. That's just how my tastes run. I love the Maduro with the Nicaraguan filler as I feel that it comes close to replicating a Padron, my favorite commercial cigar (I never have to pay the high price again, yayyy). I agree with Chris, I like the Criollo around the Dominican. I actually slightly prefer the Criollo over the Bazuki. I probably won't buy any more Shade, but I'm not you, I recommend at least trying it. It is smooth and mild. The sampler with the 1/2 lb. quantities is great to find out what you prefer, without having too much of a variety that you're not particularly fond of. If you're looking to place one order to last awhile, I recommend the sampler plus a lb. of Maduro.

Save postage and buy a shredder and a spare injector. Oh, and better stock up on some aged Burley while yours is naturally aging. (I want on the payroll, Don) BTW, I think you'll really like the Maryland and Dark Air in a cigarette blend. And you'll want to stock up on Nicaraguan and Dominican to go with that awesome wrapper. Did I mention how good that imported Izmir is? Man, that flue cured is some wicked leaf too, and the red flue cured........ :rolleyes:

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I enjoy pairing heavier filler blends with a lighter wrapper leaf, like the Ecuador Shade. Ecuador Shade, a ruddy blond leaf, is a bit more colored than CT Shade, and I believe has a somewhat richer, though subdued flavor. It lacks the deep earthiness of the darker wrapper varieties. The Ecuador Shade seems to allow more of the nuanced mixtures of the filler to come through.

If you are a Padron patron, then the Ecuador Maduro and Criollo 98 will be closer to your preference for a wrapper. For a more subtle leaf taste, the Ecuador Shade is my favorite. Now, I smoke a lot of cigars. Sometimes I feel like a Maduro nut; sometimes I don't.

[No almonds were harmed in the creation of this post.]

Bob

BarG

Founding Member
I have to confess, i get the dominican and nicuaraguan confused. I have been using the nicuagran in all my cigars as the dominican is long gone. The ecuadoran is one of the most stretchable wrappers I have used. But until my bezuki wrapper is run low My all time favorite I willhope the ecuadoran dont run out.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I have to confess, i get the dominican and nicuaraguan confused. I have been using the nicuagran in all my cigars as the dominican is long gone. The ecuadoran is one of the most stretchable wrappers I have used. But until my bezuki wrapper is run low My all time favorite I willhope the ecuadoran dont run out.

Are you talking about the Shade or Maduro?

BarG

Founding Member
My Dominican samples have been gone since we recieved the lbs of Nicuaraguan from the group buy. All hail to the founder of that. The other samples recieved also turned me on to the ecuadoran.

Status
Not open for further replies.