Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Hi I need some suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

coupon-clipping-granny

I got my plants in yesterday from bigbonner and wow i was surprised he sent me more than i expected i was wondering if they are supposed to be droopy looking 100_1719.jpg:confused: I planted 5 in a row does this look ok or what i am doing organic i have them in organic topsoil with organic humas with manure

coupon-clipping-granny

i also got my tobacco leaves in and i have to admit they taste good way better than store bought stuff my sister-in-law swears she got a buzz from it lol i told her it was because there was no added chemicals she liked them too. I was also very impressed with the amount of leaves there was in a pound thank you a million times over bigbonner!

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Pretty normal for my transplants to do that. The plants go through quite a bit of shock. Make sure you haven't let frost get to them, but they will catch up. usually I trim 1/2 of each leaf off so the plant doesn't have so much to care for, plus trim off any yellowing areas. I did this and after just a couple says the terminal buds have taken off like wild fire.

Happy growing

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I got my plants in yesterday from bigbonner and wow i was surprised he sent me more than i expected i was wondering if they are supposed to be droopy looking :confused: I planted 5 in a row does this look ok or what i am doing organic i have them in organic topsoil with organic humas with manure
Droopy for a day or two is normal. Your soil looks to be dry. That is fine but if they look droopy in the morning give them a drink. Droopy in the afternoon just says they feel like I do after a long day in the sun. LOL Your rows look fine. It looks to me like your raised bed is on plastic. If so, did you remember to poke holes in the plastic so your plants aren't in a "swimming pool" after a heavy rain? Remember, mostly they like dry feet. My first year I irrigated with naturally flowing water and my crop suffered badly.

Now keep a close eye out for pests. If you spot them there's plenty of instruction here to control them.

coupon-clipping-granny

it is not regular plastic its a garden fabric that keeps out weeds and allows water to drain this was last night after i got them planted do i need to use a certain type of water if it dont rain

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Usually tap water is fine, maybe get a water test to see if it's too high in certain chemicals.

I filter my city water, it's got Chloramine pretty heavy. (Thanks Lansing)

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Usually tap water is fine, maybe get a water test to see if it's too high in certain chemicals.I filter my city water, it's got Chloramine pretty heavy. (Thanks Lansing)
Rain water is best if you have it. Next is pond or stream water if you can direct it or pump it. Well water is fine but usually high in minerals and basic. Tobacco likes slightly acid soil. Then comes city water which can be exposed to air for 24 hours to remove chlorine or filtered if they use Chloramine.

If you use rain water you can put fiberglass window screen over the barrel to keep junk and mosquitoes out.

jekylnz

That looks set out like one of the pro's..your on the right track ma...just mist spray them when its overcast if they droop..or a little water..
You just have to watch high chlorinated water...as it will hinder the way it burns when cured

jekylnz

ok i got a 55 gallon drum i was going to start collecting rain water for dry days i didnt think about the screen though good idea

Yeah thats the way..I just pulled my down pipe apart to run into tank also..you need rain water to put in kiln for moisture for leaf while curing. .I end up drinking too much though. .cause its so soft compared to our crap town water

Your avatar looks like a good rain water collector. Lol

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
What is the spacing of your plants? They look kind of crowded but it's hard to tell by a picture. Also, when your plant markers come in keep in mind that most people write on them with a Sharpie type pen only to find out a month later that the UV rays have wiped out all the writing on the marker. Use a UV resistant marker or make a map (on paper) of what you've planted and keep the map inside.

coupon-clipping-granny

good idea i didnt realize that sharpie faded im just now learning all this so i havent even read on the curing part yet. i got them spaced 24inches it does look smaller in the picture lol

johnlee1933

Founding Member
ok i got a 55 gallon drum i was going to start collecting rain water for dry days i didnt think about the screen though good idea
That's exactly what I have. Get one of your kids to install a boiler drain in the bottom and hook a hose to it. I used a plastic bulkhead fitting and a homemade gasket. They boys will understand. If it is not high enough they can set it up on a few concrete blocks.

Here's my setup:

IMG_1777 - Copy.JPGIMG_1778 - Copy.JPG

johnlee1933

Founding Member
What is the spacing of your plants? They look kind of crowded but it's hard to tell by a picture. Also, when your plant markers come in keep in mind that most people write on them with a Sharpie type pen only to find out a month later that the UV rays have wiped out all the writing on the marker. Use a UV resistant marker or make a map (on paper) of what you've planted and keep the map inside.
Good advice Dude. I messed up BIG time on that score two years ago,

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
If you use a Sharpie to label plant markers, you can insert the marker in the ground so that the marked surface leans downward a bit, and is facing generally north. That minimizes fading, and it will easily last for the summer. If it gets full sun, it will likely fade within a few weeks.

Bob

coupon-clipping-granny

Thats the same drum i have lol I see how you got it im sure i can do it only problem is i have no gutters on my house yet we are getting ready to put on a new roof and gutters so if i just set it in the yard it should work right

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Thats the same drum i have lol I see how you got it im sure i can do it only problem is i have no gutters on my house yet we are getting ready to put on a new roof and gutters so if i just set it in the yard it should work right
I don't hold with gutters. High maintenance, low utility. However, I did install one on the garage to feed the rain barrel. And now I have to clean the sucker twice a year -- PITA! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.