Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Burley red tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBonner

Founding Member
They are against child labor , I am also supposed to have a lunch / break room , Portable bath rooms , eye wash station , records of legal employment ,employee living conditions ( None living on my farms ) records of chemicals and a room just for them ,
protective clothing and gloves , signs posted of any place I use certain chemicals , sign with tobacco sickness on it and what to do , good safe stripping rooms and barns ,workers insurance ,and the list goes on .

I have had to go to mandatory classes on all this crap . I also have to have my chemical license which involves a day to get it .

I have bad news for them when they get here there is no signs posted as my tobacco is pretty much organic . What chemicals I use on big tobacco's crop is used immediately and I have none to have to store .
Can you imagine having a port a potty at the tobacco fields , or dragging workers from the fields to a break room just to sit 15 minutes .My truck or a wagon along with tobacco workers vehicles sit at the tobacco patches and are easy to sit in or on . Pop , water and a snack will be set up on the wagon .

I have heard that several farmers was told they had to build new and better stripping rooms in order to get or keep a contract .
Lots of times I furnish lunch and my work hands eat the same food at the same table as I do . I strip and work in the same stripping room and barns more than hired work hands do .
I treat my workers as good or better than others . I furnish pop and snacks along with gator aid .

Now with child labor , They don't want farm family kids working any on the farms . They told us that kids younger than 18 was not allowed to work but so many hours and could not use any dangerous machinery or lift any heavy size loads . I have no young children but when my son was younger around 14 he helped a lot and grew up loving to farm and making his own money .I didn't slave drive him but he had chores to do . He helped set my tobacco which is fairly easy work . He also had his own small tobacco crop . Now days young kids are not suppose to set tobacco .

It is some of these rights groups that has started all this .( Same as anti- smoking groups ) But most of the problems lays across in other countries and not the USA . But PM has to make it clear they are checking all of their contracts for labor laws violations , just to keep their hands clean and lawsuit free .They are putting the blame on the farmers . The fact is that if they paid a decent price to where family farms could make a good living and afford to hire outside help and not have to get by using any free family hands they can find .
A lot of family farms have to get by how ever they can to survive , use what we have , fix what we've got or sell out and leave .A lot of farmers did leave after the buyout .
If you are a farmer and had land , money equipment and cattle handed to you then they have it made, but farmers like me who has had to buy every nut bolt , tractor and piece of land has a harder time of surviving in the farming business .

Sorry for the rants

Knucklehead

Founding Member
It's getting worse every year. We raised cows on 200 acres in Ga. The land had been in my family for over 100 years, maybe longer, I don't know. Beef prices got so low and taxes in Ga. were so high, we couldn't sell enough cows to even pay the taxes every year, much less turn a profit or even make it worth the effort. We all had other jobs and farmed on the side. In the winter I fed hay to the cows before school, and after school daddy would pick me up after his regular teaching job and we'd build houses, remodel, plumb, wiring, etc. in the evenings and weekends. Summertime we'd put up hay and work constuction. We eventually sold the farm. I don't know how a full time farmer can make it now. Somebody asked my uncle one time what he would do if he won the big multi-million dollar lottery. He told them he would just keep farming until the money ran out.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
They are against child labor , I am also supposed to have a lunch / break room , Portable bath rooms , eye wash station , records of legal employment ,employee living conditions ( None living on my farms ) records of chemicals and a room just for them ,
protective clothing and gloves , signs posted of any place I use certain chemicals , sign with tobacco sickness on it and what to do , good safe stripping rooms and barns ,workers insurance ,and the list goes on .

Sorry for the rants
No apology necessary. And to add to the pain, most of those making laws have NEVER made or built or grown anything or done an honest days work. Some may consider this political. To me it is a simple statement of fact.

workhorse_01

More of their handy osha cowboy.gifwork

I have had to go to mandatory classes on all this crap . I also have to have my chemical license which involves a day to get it .

I have bad news for them when they get here there is no signs posted as my tobacco is pretty much organic . What chemicals I use on big tobacco's crop is used immediately and I have none to have to store .
Can you imagine having a port a potty at the tobacco fields , or dragging workers from the fields to a break room just to sit 15 minutes .My truck or a wagon along with tobacco workers vehicles sit at the tobacco patches and are easy to sit in or on . Pop , water and a snack will be set up on the wagon .

I have heard that several farmers was told they had to build new and better stripping rooms in order to get or keep a contract .
Lots of times I furnish lunch and my work hands eat the same food at the same table as I do . I strip and work in the same stripping room and barns more than hired work hands do .
I treat my workers as good or better than others . I furnish pop and snacks along with gator aid .

Now with child labor , They don't want farm family kids working any on the farms . They told us that kids younger than 18 was not allowed to work but so many hours and could not use any dangerous machinery or lift any heavy size loads . I have no young children but when my son was younger around 14 he helped a lot and grew up loving to farm and making his own money .I didn't slave drive him but he had chores to do . He helped set my tobacco which is fairly easy work . He also had his own small tobacco crop . Now days young kids are not suppose to set tobacco .

It is some of these rights groups that has started all this .( Same as anti- smoking groups ) But most of the problems lays across in other countries and not the USA . But PM has to make it clear they are checking all of their contracts for labor laws violations , just to keep their hands clean and lawsuit free .They are putting the blame on the farmers . The fact is that if they paid a decent price to where family farms could make a good living and afford to hire outside help and not have to get by using any free family hands they can find .
A lot of family farms have to get by how ever they can to survive , use what we have , fix what we've got or sell out and leave .A lot of farmers did leave after the buyout .
If you are a farmer and had land , money equipment and cattle handed to you then they have it made, but farmers like me who has had to buy every nut bolt , tractor and piece of land has a harder time of surviving in the farming business .

Sorry for the rants

Status
Not open for further replies.