Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Ageing cigars

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I have read the usual stuff about ageing cigars. I never paid it much mind. Why bother? The leaf was already aged. This morning I found two cigars in binder only that I had neglected to wrap. I have no idea how long they were in the box but I'd guess a year or so. So I added wrapper to one of them and tried it. It is a really nice smoke so now I'm off thinking again. (A dangerous practice at best.) :<)

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
so a cigar is like a bottle of wine,?

the older the better,?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Seriously, after the first few years of proper storage, during which it slooowly improves, a stored cigar begins to lose some of its edginess and aroma. The nicotine decreases very little, if at all.

I've smoked 20+ year old cigars--the same cigars that I had smoked when new 20+ years ago, and really was not all that impressed by the difference. I do have a 20 year old Hoyo Excalibur in my humidor. It belongs to my son (now 35). I believe he's saving it for my funeral.

BUT...like a bottle of wine, the longer a cigar is stored, the greater the opportunity for a microbiologic or environmental mishap.

Bob

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I've smoked 20+ year old cigars--the same cigars that I had smoked when new 20+ years ago, and really was not all that impressed by the difference. I do have a 20 year old Hoyo Excalibur in my humidor. It belongs to my son (now 35). I believe he's saving it for my funeral.

BUT...like a bottle of wine, the longer a cigar is stored, the greater the opportunity for a microbiologic or environmental mishap.

Bob

I've been wondering how these Monte's are going to taste. Maybe waiting for a special occasion to smoke a 40 year old cigar isn't in the cigar's best interest.

monte.jpg

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
You're a lucky man! Lighting up an early 1970s vintage Montecristo Habana is a special occasion in itself. At this point, as long as they're stored well, I doubt that they will change much over the next 40 years. So, it's in the cigar's best interest...yeah, that's the ticket...it's in the cigar's best interest to be transformed--like a butterfly emerging in all its glory--into a fine white ash. Fidel himself would approve.

Bob

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I can't see how there would be much difference between aging the actual cigar and aging the leaf you plan to make cigars from. I bought enough filler to last me several years and plan to let it age in the vapor proof bags it came in. This is not part of an experiment or anything, I just can't see myself sitting down and rolling 10 lb. of filler into cigars. :D

Ashauler

Founding Member
As Bob mentioned above, all cigars will lose some of their "edge" with aging and become more rounded in profile. A harsh, strong cigar will become less so, etc.. Many say this is due to the "melding" of the various components of filler and binder/wrapper. Indeed cigars can go way past their prime as well.....I would sacrifice that Monte to the fire gods myself if I were you Don.

Additional aging is less beneficial for cigars of other than Cuban origin, in my experience. Aging is virtually required for cigars of Cuban origin, again in my experience. Cuban cigars will enter a "sick" period and release ammonia somewhere between 6 months to 1 year after they are produced and sold. Many boxes even suggest to smoke these cigars either within 6 months of purchase......or after 1 year from production. In the other cigar producing countries, double and even triple fermentation is common as is aging wrappers and even fillers for up to 5 years prior to rolling the cigars with an additional 60-180 days rest before boxing and selling. It is a fairly recent advent in Cuban cigar production to age wrappers on even their higher $$ lines for 3 years.....and the longest period of aging is 5 years for the Cohiba maduro wrappers iirc.

Hit up a cigar forum sometime and search for some threads on aging.....there will be many! As for me, I don't make a point to age anything not from Cuba....including my own tobacco, once it's rolled.

jekylnz

I can't see how there would be much difference between aging the actual cigar and aging the leaf you plan to make cigars from. I bought enough filler to last me several years and plan to let it age in the vapor proof bags it came in. This is not part of an experiment or anything, I just can't see myself sitting down and rolling 10 lb. of filler into cigars. :D
I think the only difference would be the flavours..aromas from fill..binder.and wrapper melgamating together? ?

rainmax

Founding Member
I remember when I used to smoke cigars on regular bases about twelve to fifteen years ago I found brand called Hoya Cubana Yellowbands. This was Nicaraguan cigars low budget (25-50$). You could buy them in bundles of 25. I was in loved in this cigars. I would pay 10$ today If I could smoke one corona. I believe they stop producing them when Tony Borhani bought that factory or something. It is something in aging. Value. Respect.

Status
Not open for further replies.