Whole Leaf Tobacco
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Starting Seed Late

Sometimes someone comes to the group this time of season or later and wonders if they can still plants some tobacco with success. I've been growing tobacco in MO for the last 7 years and I can tell you heartily, yet you can still start.

What I have found that works well for me is to start them in flats outside.

You simply put individual seeds on one of those 72 cell starters in each cell, just a couple. Put them in the east where they get morning sun but under the eaves of the house so they don't get pounded by rain before they start sprouting. Don't worry about putting the dome on.

You're going to want to get a sprayer with a mister setting and mist the tray first thing in the morning and if possible once they are in the shade. If they have to wait till you get home from work it's still doable.

Once they start sprouting if you have two or more seedling in a cell cut them down to one. Once they are 2"+ high transplant them into some soil you've already worked up making sure the ground is real loose for the roots to quickly spread out.

You may want to look on craigslist for people wanting to get rid of rabbit poop. Rabbit poop isn't hot and can go directly on the soil around the plants.

Good luck and God bless!
    Luke 22:36

Re: Starting Seed Late

I believe that in cooler regions, the problem that arises with late planting is the unfavorable weather conditions during the time that you are attempting to color-cure the leaf. Assuming a rapid germination and time to transplant of only 4 weeks (which I consider optimistic), you will need an average of 55 to 65 days to get to a point when you have usable leaf. To make seed will require at least another month of above freezing weather.

In the above scenario, if you start seed on June 1, you might be able to get plants into the ground on July 1 (again, optimistic). So early September is when leaf may be harvestable. If weather in mid September is ideal for color-curing, then you're home free. Otherwise, shed curing presents a problem with cooler weather that may or may not be overly humid.

Pests tend to appear in seasonal cycles. Early plantings vs. late plantings usually differ in pest problems. As an example, my 1 May plantings suffered far less from early insect damage than my 1 June plantings.

I certainly agree that it is possible to start this late and get something worthwhile. But you may be fighting the onset of frost or other troublesome conditions. If a new grower is intent on starting this late, I would suggest making it a small grow, to minimize the loss and frustration if everything doesn't turn out happily.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by NRustica View Post
    Sometimes someone comes to the group this time of season or later and wonders if they can still plants some tobacco with success. I've been growing tobacco in MO for the last 7 years and I can tell you heartily, yet you can still start.

What I have found that works well for me is to start them in flats outside.

You simply put individual seeds on one of those 72 cell starters in each cell, just a couple. Put them in the east where they get morning sun but under the eaves of the house so they don't get pounded by rain before they start sprouting. Don't worry about putting the dome on.

You're going to want to get a sprayer with a mister setting and mist the tray first thing in the morning and if possible once they are in the shade. If they have to wait till you get home from work it's still doable.

Once they start sprouting if you have two or more seedling in a cell cut them down to one. Once they are 2"+ high transplant them into some soil you've already worked up making sure the ground is real loose for the roots to quickly spread out.

You may want to look on craigslist for people wanting to get rid of rabbit poop. Rabbit poop isn't hot and can go directly on the soil around the plants.

Good luck and God bless!
    It depends on where you live. I have a buddy in Canada with a 90 day growing season. One method to determine if it's too late to start seed is to find out the earliest frost date for your area: http://fairtradetobacco.com/showthre...n-Is-It-Really . Determine how many days are left in your grow season and what the days to maturity is of the variety you are planting. Days to Maturity is figured from transplant to 50% of plants with one flower. Add to that the 6-8 weeks it takes a seed to be ready for transplant.

Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by deluxestogie View Post
    I certainly agree that it is possible to start this late and get something worthwhile. But you may be fighting the onset of frost or other troublesome conditions. If a new grower is intent on starting this late, I would suggest making it a small grow, to minimize the loss and frustration if everything doesn't turn out happily.

Bob
    I completely agree. I was fortunate my first year to have enough heated space where I could control humidity to get a small color cure. For a larger grow I would have been out of luck.
    ~~~~The~~~~~
    RESIDENT CYNIC
    ~~~~is in.~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by Knucklehead View Post
    It depends on where you live. I have a buddy in Canada with a 90 day growing season. One method to determine if it's too late to start seed is to find out the earliest frost date for your area: http://fairtradetobacco.com/showthre...n-Is-It-Really . Determine how many days are left in your grow season and what the days to maturity is of the variety you are planting. Days to Maturity is figured from transplant to 50% of plants with one flower. Add to that the 6-8 weeks it takes a seed to be ready for transplant.
    I've found that the amount of time to transplant is a little quicker this late in the season, closer to 3 weeks to transplant. But that's here in Missouri.
    Luke 22:36

My average is Nov. 1-10 so 150 days, time enough for twooooo!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by NRustica View Post
    I've found that the amount of time to transplant is a little quicker this late in the season, closer to 3 weeks to transplant. But that's here in Missouri.

Started seeds July 17. Thank you leverhead for my first grow. Just one note, standing over them 24/7 will not make them sprout faster. LoL But I think I see a sprout starting. Yeah Me. Thanks to deluxestogie's forum on how to grow. I also used NRustica's approach a week later because I did not think the others had survived. Hopefully I will get a plant for seed to start next year.

Quote Originally Posted by janetta007 View Post
    Just one note, standing over them 24/7 will not make them sprout faster
    You've learned something already! For this hobby an alarm clock is more useful than a stopwatch. Read up on the curing issues, you'll need them later, next year for sure.

I started a small batch about 3 1/2 weeks ago. I'll soon find out.
    BarG

The second seeds I started this way have just started to sprout. But with the heat here in East Texas I find myself misting it am and pm. I think I will call him "Sprout"

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast