Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Replanting in same space?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NZGirl

Hi Folx,

I have really poor (clay) soil where I live but am an avid gardener, so all my gardens are made 'above' ground. i.e. I make and use my own compost that I place on top of my ground for new gardens or plantings. (That was ALOTTA compost for my baccy plants lol but worth it)

I currently have a crop of baccy in and because it's out of season, it's already trying to throw up flower heads, so it'll probably be out in a few weeks.
I'd appreciate knowing if I can re-sow (with the addition of some more compost etc) in the same place next season, or is baccy like vegetables and does it need to be rotated into a diff place each season?

Amber

NRustica

There are two reasons for rotating. 1. need for land to regroup. If you are regularly putting on fresh compost I don't see any need for this reason. 2. prevention of different pestilences which harbor themselves in the ground. If you didn't have any problems the previous year, I don't see a reason for doing for this reason also.

ashaggyone

Here is one of the place I've been reading(as well as Ms. Nicotiana's newly available knowlegebase). Everything I have come across is leading me to want to treat tobacco as I treat my tomatoes, with lots of TLC and attention. As an example I'll be planting my snaps and butterbeans, field and snow peas where my maters and basil are this year. I just keep movin on down the line squashin bugs with my boys and, as Chicken would say it, "Givin Bayer the middle finger".

NZGirl

Thanx Guys - I forgot about the pest thing but I haven't really had any issues except slugs and snails and they'd be anywhere in my garden. I've planted in one of my vege patches and also made a new garden for baccy last time round so I am limited for making yet another baccy garden. I think I'll just harvest then start building the soil up again and have to hope for the best.
Amber

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I think I'll just harvest then start building the soil up again and have to hope for the best. Amber
As you can see from my grow log I have a small raised bed patch. I have grown there for three years so far without problems. In this area nematodes are the most serious problem with replanting in the same area. If and when that happens I'll have to dig out the soil and replace it. A pain it's true but not impossible. I can use the soil elsewhere. Other than that I simply have the soil analyzed each year and add natural and chemical fert as necessary. So far so good so I won't borrow trouble. This year for the first time I am going to top half of my plants to see that happens. I grow for cigar wrapper leaf and I'm not sure a bigger, heavier leaf is what I want. Just have to see I guess. Since I don't top suckers haven't been much of a problem. We'll have to see how that change effects me too. Hey it's FUN and I can smoke it cheap. All good.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
A cover crop like clover is a good idea during the off season as it adds nitrogen to the soil and will cut back on your nitrogen requirements the following year. It will also help keep the weeds crowded out, and add vegetive matter to the soil when you till it in. Crimson Clover is not only a good choice, but is also beautiful to look at when in flower.

After harvesting your tobacco, removing every trace of the previous grow will cut down on the chance of tobacco disease and insects the following year. Remove roots and all.

Commercial growers rotate their fields after every second or third harvest. Hay or cover crops are planted during the rotation. Home growers with limited space don't always have this option and make out the best they can with what they have to work with.

DonH

A cover crop like clover is a good idea during the off season as it adds nitrogen to the soil and will cut back on your nitrogen requirements the following year. It will also help keep the weeds crowded out, and add vegetive matter to the soil when you till it in. Crimson Clover is not only a good choice, but is also beautiful to look at when in flower.

After harvesting your tobacco, removing every trace of the previous grow will cut down on the chance of tobacco disease and insects the following year. Remove roots and all.

Commercial growers rotate their fields after every second or third harvest. Hay or cover crops are planted during the rotation. Home growers with limited space don't always have this option and make out the best they can with what they have to work with.
All true. The advantage we home growers have is being able to add lots of compost and manure each year, something you can do on several hundred square feet that isn't practical on 40 acres. But if you have the space, giving your plots a rest after 3 or 4 years probably would be good. But I read somewhere that the Amish grow tobacco every year on the same land.

NZGirl

Great - I have some red clover I can spread round as welll as lupin so will put them in between plantings. Kia ora! Amber

NZGirl

As you can see from my grow log I have a small raised bed patch. I have grown there for three years so far without problems. In this area nematodes are the most serious problem with replanting in the same area. If and when that happens I'll have to dig out the soil and replace it. A pain it's true but not impossible. I can use the soil elsewhere. Other than that I simply have the soil analyzed each year and add natural and chemical fert as necessary. So far so good so I won't borrow trouble. This year for the first time I am going to top half of my plants to see that happens. I grow for cigar wrapper leaf and I'm not sure a bigger, heavier leaf is what I want. Just have to see I guess. Since I don't top suckers haven't been much of a problem. We'll have to see how that change effects me too. Hey it's FUN and I can smoke it cheap. All good.

I haven't read your grow blog yet (I don't think!) will take a peek and see

Jack in NB

Founding Member
As John has done, my plants are going back into the same holes as last year. I think this year will be the sixth year. I add a shovelful of compost to the hole left after pulling out the old roots, stir well and add plants.

So far so good!

Haven't had any disease problems to date, and while yields have been variable between different plant types - ranging from an average of 50 g to 125 g per plant, I'm satisfied with the approach.

Status
Not open for further replies.