Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Knuckleheads Seed Vault - Seed Storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I bought a plastic ammunition box made by MTM Caseguard. It is slightly larger than the metal military .50 cal. ammo cans. It has a rubber gasket in the lid and a heavy duty pull down latch to pull the gasketed lid down tight. I have the seed separated into classes by card board. Inside is 454 grams of color changing silica gel desiccant. When the gel turns from orange to green, it is time to dry the desiccant in the oven. I purchased the silica gel here: http://www.southernexposure.com/ ammo box 1.jpgammo box 2.jpgammo box 3.jpg

BigBonner

Founding Member
Better get a bigger box .
I started out small and it just keeps growing . I can only imagine what FmGrowit has for seed storage .

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Better get a bigger box .
I started out small and it just keeps growing . I can only imagine what FmGrowit has for seed storage .

Right now the box is holding 100-300 seed each of 228 varieties with plenty of room left over. If I get the seed count up to 2000 seed of each variety, I think one more box will still hold all of them. Mainly the post is for folks a little less crazy than you and me. :)

JessicaNicot

if you're storing in a cool, dry place then there is no need for air tight. we store a lot of seed in paper coin envelopes in a hallway with a fan and dehumidifier and its good for at least 15 years on average. however, if you want to move to cold (fridge or freezer) storage, youre going to need air tight and the dessicant is a good addition.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Outdoor Products makes several sizes of Dry Box, which are available in the sporting goods section of Walmart.

172_Large-WTB_Clear_Navy-300x179.jpg

http://outdoorproducts.com/watertight-boxes/

I've purchased 3 of them for about $10 each, for seed storage in a tiny, dorm-size fridge. They are polycarbonate, and have a water-tight seal. Their usual use is for protecting a cell phone, camera, etc, while boating.

Bob

JessicaNicot

Outdoor Products makes several sizes of Dry Box, which are available in the sporting goods section of Walmart.

172_Large-WTB_Clear_Navy-300x179.jpg

http://outdoorproducts.com/watertight-boxes/

I've purchased 3 of them for about $10 each, for seed storage in a tiny, dorm-size fridge. They are polycarbonate, and have a water-tight seal. Their usual use is for protecting a cell phone, camera, etc, while boating.

Bob

yeah, my boss is using otter boxes just like these (but surely more $$) to store our important foundation seed (the official cultivar seed given to seed companies for increase/distribution). the seed is in glass vials with desicant in the box, and the whole thing in the fridge.

JessicaNicot

What????
What can be more important than tobacco seed??????

foundation seed is THE MOST IMPORTANT tobacco seed we have. for any tobacco cultivar that is developed by the university (other crops also have foundation seed), we are responsible for maintaining the original pure line and this is the seed that is given to companies (such as goldleaf, rickard, etc) who then massively amplify and sell it.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
if you're storing in a cool, dry place then there is no need for air tight. we store a lot of seed in paper coin envelopes in a hallway with a fan and dehumidifier and its good for at least 15 years on average. however, if you want to move to cold (fridge or freezer) storage, youre going to need air tight and the dessicant is a good addition.

If you plan to freeze the seed, make absolutely certain the seed is dry before freezing. Desiccant is a good way to dry the seed. When using desiccant in ambient temperature (as in a cool dry place) the use of an air tight container will extend the life of your desiccant before it needs drying or replacement.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I've been cleaning the 70 varieties of seed I produced this year and found a hand bulb air blaster that has been a big help in "winnowing" the seed. I use the 400 micron screen like a gold pan to separate the seed from the chafe and dead aphid parts. Swish the pan around and the seed go to bottom and the light stuff rises to the top.Then I give it some blasts from the air blaster to blow out the light material, leaving clean seed in the screen ready to be put into 2x3" zip lock baggies for storage. You have to do this several times to get all the stuff out. It keeps dead aphid bodies out of your mouth if you're just blowing the stuff out with your lungs.
http://www.amazon.com/Giottos-AA190...1421645255&sr=8-1&keywords=rocket+air+blaster

Last edited:

BarG

Founding Member
I have the 600 and the 400 micron with a lip that fits over a 5 gallon bucket. The 600 separates the chaff from the seeds and the 400 catches the seeds. They fit over a 5 gallon bucket for stem and chaff disposal during the process. {aphids too I suppose}

BarG

Founding Member

I do my very best just to keep mine labled and not lose them. In a cool dry dark space in plastic bags.. A big wooden bowl with a lid.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I have the 600 and the 400 micron with a lip that fits over a 5 gallon bucket. The 600 separates the chaff from the seeds and the 400 catches the seeds. They fit over a 5 gallon bucket for stem and chaff disposal during the process. {aphids too I suppose}

I have both screens. I edited my post to 400 micron. Many of the aphid parts are the same color as the seed. You don't realize how many parts are in there until you winnow them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.