Not open for further replies.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i was up till 3 a.m.

and caught my index finger real good with the JIG-SAW,{ ouch}

im holding steady 105 degrees,,,and 70% humidity,,,,,

got a 250 watt heat-lamp,,,and a crockpot going,,,,

what you think of my design,,,{ i may have used a lot of duct-tape,,,but thats how we do it in the south,,lol }

Attachments

• DSCF00019.jpg
    DSCF00019.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 55
  • DSCF00029.jpg
    DSCF00029.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 54
  • DSCF00049.jpg
    DSCF00049.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 60
  • DSCF00058.jpg
    DSCF00058.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 57
  • DSCF000312.jpg
    DSCF000312.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 56

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Looks good. Have you verified that your humidity gauge is within the ballpark for what it's reading?
And don't worry about all that duct tape, I'm pretty sure it's a law that you have to use it for any project you are working on

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
Looks good. Have you verified that your humidity gauge is within the ballpark for what it's reading?
And don't worry about all that duct tape, I'm pretty sure it's a law that you have to use it for any project you are working on

i havent verified it ,,,,

allthough i have anothe temp/humidity gauge i could hang in the kiln,,,, and see if they are all reading the same,,,

i will do that<--------

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Chicken,
I worry about that heat lamp being exposed, and held by tape. Many a chick warming lamp has burned down a barn. Be careful.

Bob

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
Chicken,
I worry about that heat lamp being exposed, and held by tape. Many a chick warming lamp has burned down a barn. Be careful.

Bob

i hadnt thought of that,,, i used that lamp because it was useless,,

i have a nice one im going right now to change these lamp bases,,,

> i checked the gauges for accuracy...i placed a thermometer,/temp gauge inside the unit,,, and all gauges read the same,,,

the board i used is a hard coated '' preferrated board'' not flat plywood,, { whish i may rediegn the front area with plywood, and maybe a different type door,??] thats why all the ductape is on the sides,,, i used clear silicon to seal any gaps i found,,'' which were very few.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i did away with the old lamp base,,,,

allthough im leaving the unit off right now,,, to see how good it hold it's heat and humidity...i still got the fan,,and the crock pot is on its lowest setting,,,but no heat lamp right now,,

im documenting it by the hour,,, results< later tonight,,,

i'll update the pics... to ahow the new lamp,,, im also going to mo0ve the crock-pot,,, right up under the baccy,,,,

Chrism

Makes me want to finish mine ;). I did get a small amount of bacco color cured and dried. Maybe this week I'll finish mine.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Chicken,
I can't tell from the pictures if you have insulation for your kiln. With one that size, you could place heat duct insulation panel on the inside to stabilize the temp and cut down your electric bill.

Bob

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
Chicken,
I can't tell from the pictures if you have insulation for your kiln. With one that size, you could place heat duct insulation panel on the inside to stabilize the temp and cut down your electric bill.

Bob

i believe it's pretty good insulated,,,

it's made out of some pretty thick solid wood,,,,

and i went out there in the dark,,, to look for '' light leaks'' and duct-taped them all gone,,,,

it's a pretty solid constructed box i made,,,:D:D

Daniel

Banned
Home depot sells a "Bottle Lamp Kit" for around $10. you can dill a whole in a pice of scrap wood to make a base for it or it woks very well for mounting in some way to the wall of yoru kiln. Just a bit of DIY ingenuity will come up with a way. Look for them where you find the other lights and stuff in home depot. it is a great space saving and adaptable way to get a light in the kiln.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i been doing some tweaking on the kiln,,i closed off the left section,,, i was wasting heat by using that area,,,

now my kiln is just the box on the right,,, i did away with the 250 watt heat lamp , it was making my baccy brittle,,,

i put a 150 watt light bulb in there,, and turned my crock-pot up,,,,

and am ranging 120degrees/68%humidity,,,and my baccy is curing in light case,, not brittle,,,

the bottom half of the kiln is empty,,, im hanging on the top only right now,,,

tomorrow im going to fill the bottom part in,,,and may '' TIGHTEN'' the baccy i currentlly got hanging,,,,,

to where thier is no gaps in the top half,,,,, just pure baccy filling up the gaps..

i have the crock-pot and the fan .. in the cabinet to the left,, but split the inside size in half,,,my crock-pot humidifies this area,, and the fan pushes the humid air thru a small opening,,,

i think this is a good set-up because the baccy is in light case,,,,, by bringing the pot into the chamber itself i think it would put too much moisture on the baccy,,,,

thus raising the humidity while having too low a temperature,????

am i on the right path here,???

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
gearing up to bring this thing back to life, with some modifications<

Status
Not open for further replies.