jojjas

This is what i planted back at the end of february
20130301_191730.jpg

And this is at the end of April

20130504_192050.jpg
And this is after plant them in the backyard

IMG_1881.jpgIMG_1882.jpg

Virginia plants , the other plants in a another place
And now the summer came to our part of europe with an explosion of warm and sunny weather after a very long and cold winter , the night tempratur was below freezing point a bit in the first days of may , but now the last 2 weeks northern scandinavia has had higher temp than southern europe
I will try to add some more pictures regulary , as we have 2 months of days with more than 20 ours of daylight and everything will grow very fast

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Interesting looking soil there. The grass and shrubbery seem to like it. How much rainfall do you get in the summers?

jojjas

Thank you guys
The soil is an mix of mostley very heavy clay with a small part of sand
An average amount of rainfall in the summer is approx 10 inches , usually i don not have to water the plants

jojjas

Update with pictures
After the first month out the growth is litle weak
It has been a rather cold , temp around 12° C (50-55 F) , and wet (over 2 inches of rain in one day) 2 last weeks in june
but now is the sun and temprature back
the last 2 picture showing izmir and some maryland to the right in , and the upper right corner of the picture is rhubarb plant

Attachments

• 20130702_154753.jpg
    20130702_154753.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 140
  • 20130702_192133.jpg
    20130702_192133.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 142
  • 20130702_192203.jpg
    20130702_192203.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 139

Fisherman

nice. The first month is usually slow after transplanting. You look right on schedule to me. That ruburb looks smokeable too :)

ChuckP

Howdy Jojjas,

They're coming a long real nice! I have to agree with fisherman that the rhubarb leaves look like you could cure them and smoke them. It looks like your well on your way to a good crop!

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
thier starting to look good. they are going to really start growing one the roots start moving,,, they do start out very slow, as stated,

but once they start thier growing, due to root devolpment, they take off,

im gonna get some fresh pi's of my patch, because they are bigger than they were, 2 weeks ago A LOT BIGGER.

AmaxB

As I'm sure you know (but others may not) the leaves of rubarb are poisonous when eaten. Only the stems are edible.

Bob
Really
No I did not know, Gramma made the pies
Is a good tid-bit of information in case anyone should decide to eat them. Surely if I had Rubarb growing I would have as a kid I ate it all the time so today I would not think twice about it.
Thinking about it I never did see a leaf in what I ate only stem.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
During the food rationing of WWI, a British government nutritionist lamented the common practice of removing and discarding so much of the top of the rhubarb stem, before making pies or jam with rhubarb. She recommended using it all the way to and including the leaf blades. Unfortunately, several people followed her recommendation and died. Oops.

While the stem (leaf petiole) contains malic acid, which gives it a crisp taste, the leaf contains oxalic acid, which can be fatal if consumed in sufficient quantity.

Bob

johnlee1933

Founding Member
During the food rationing of WWI, a British government nutritionist lamented the common practice of removing and discarding so much of the top of the rhubarb stem, before making pies or jam with rhubarb. She recommended using it all the way to and including the leaf blades. Unfortunately, several people followed her recommendation and died. Oops.

While the stem (leaf petiole) contains malic acid, which gives it a crisp taste, the leaf contains oxalic acid, which can be fatal if consumed in sufficient quantity.

Bob
Nice explanation. Mine is simpler. As a little kid my GranPa said,"The stems are good, the leaves'll kill you." That was all I needed and I'm not dead yet.

jojjas

Thank you , lets hope that rest of summer become as good as it has been , above 20° C (68-70 F) and 75 mm ( 3 inch) of rain , but a little bit windy the last month

jojjas

I have been busy with other things to attend to , so have not uppdated this blog as much that i intended to do , but anyway here it is
The first nights in september was very cold so i keept a close look att temp during these nigths , and the morning the 2 sep i was out and walking my dog before i should get to work, it was darn cold and when i got back inside again i look att the thermometer , it shows 0,0c , i got panic and stay home from work a couple of ours and harvested my virginia plants , izmir plants are in different place and a litle more protected by large trees so they i was not concerned about
But yesterday it was time to harvest these plants to20130914_145653.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.