Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Estate pipes..anygood??

Status
Not open for further replies.

jekylnz

I scored these estate pupes on a trade site over here for about $20usd...theres about 11 complete pipes..& 2 falcon bowls ..they have markings like..G.B.D..IMPERIAL..M.C.B...FALCON..HARDCASTLES..PANANA..MAC..MR&CO..can an6 pipe smokers tell me anythung about them...Most of them wernt in bad condition ...I just had to clean the rims of the bowls up abit..

20130611_095011.jpg20130611_094812.jpg20130611_094733.jpg

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
The Falcons are nice to have because you can unscrew the bowl and add a different style if you like, or even a meer lined one. I think they were originally made in the US but shifted production to the UK in the early '60's. Run a reamer into the bowl and clean with some alcohol and you'll have some nice pipes to smoke.

bosun

Old wood is good wood as far as I'm concerned. The GBD and Hardcastle are considered 'good' names for example. A little ream and clean and you have a good chance of getting a good smoking pipe out of any name brand though.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Another way to look at it is that all of my pipes (except for the recent poker gift from Knucklehead) were purchased by me ages ago. They're all "estate" pipes.

Bob

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Another way to look at it is that all of my pipes (except for the recent poker gift from Knucklehead) were purchased by me ages ago. They're all "estate" pipes. Bob
Looking at the definition of "estate" I don't think that applies yet (and for a long time to come.)

DonH

That's a great deal, Todd. They look to be in good condition and if they smoke well, then you got a great bargain. If you are curious about them, you can do an internet search on any branding you see on the pipe and you will usually get a lot of good information on them, even prices, if someone has sold one on ebay ever.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
What a deal! You did good, bro. We'll be seeing you in the pipe smokers forum. Post your new blends. lol

jekylnz

What a deal! You did good, bro. We'll be seeing you in the pipe smokers forum. Post your new blends. lol

I dont really know where to start when it comes to blends besides some smoke cured..a bit of burley cased with some vanilla. .cocoa..star arise. .white rum..maple syrup ..thats all ive tried so far...to much cocoa though I think...it kind if left a powdery feel on my tongue and mouth???

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I dont really know where to start when it comes to blends besides some smoke cured..a bit of burley cased with some vanilla. .cocoa..star arise. .white rum..maple syrup ..thats all ive tried so far...to much cocoa though I think...it kind if left a powdery feel on my tongue and mouth???
It's easy to make Cavendish and you might enjoy a bit of that in your blend. Deluxe and I have played with it. Takes a while but no real problems. He likes to blend with it. Me not so much.

jekylnz

It's easy to make Cavendish and you might enjoy a bit of that in your blend. Deluxe and I have played with it. Takes a while but no real problems. He likes to blend with it. Me not so much.

Is Cavendish generally made out of maryland 609? Or can you make it out of whatever you like..burley etc..ive read a wee bit about it in one of the threads..sounds allright...would you then blend it with firecured as well?? My kilned baccer may turn out Cavendish if im not careful...with condensation issues.haha

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Is Cavendish generally made out of maryland 609? Or can you make it out of whatever you like..burley etc..ive read a wee bit about it in one of the threads..sounds allright...would you then blend it with firecured as well?? My kilned baccer may turn out Cavendish if im not careful...with condensation issues.haha
I've done it with that but I don't think it makes much of a difference. Like anything else a different tobacco would likely taste a bit different. I think burley would be fine. As for blending I'll pass that to one of those who know what they are doing.

jekylnz

Old wood is good wood as far as I'm concerned. The GBD and Hardcastle are considered 'good' names for example. A little ream and clean and you have a good chance of getting a good smoking pipe out of any name brand though.

I heard hardcastles another sub name of dunhill?? Can anyone alaberate on this??

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Samsun and Samsun Maden are different. The latter is milder and smoother.

You can probably make a good Cavendish out of anything. Then you'll be the one who knows what he's doing with that variety, and you can tell us.

Bob

DonH

Blending is fun. You're on track if you add some fire cured (the trick is the right amount) and Cavendish to smooth it out. I usually start with Virginia, Turkish, and Burley, spray it with the casing, toast the whole leaf strips (that helps with the famous Virginia tongue bite) then rehydrate the strips and press them for a day. Then you can keep them pressed and cut thin flakes with a sharp knife or slice the flakes at the beginning and then keep them as flakes or rub them out (it will be like commercial "ready-rubbed."

I usually add Latakia to my blends because I like the taste.

jekylnz

Samsun and Samsun Maden are different. The latter is milder and smoother.

You can probably make a good Cavendish out of anything. Then you'll be the one who knows what he's doing with that variety, and you can tell us.

Bob
Have they any similarities? ?? Is maden even a turkish type?

Blending is fun. You're on track if you add some fire cured (the trick is the right amount) and Cavendish to smooth it out. I usually start with Virginia, Turkish, and Burley, spray it with the casing, toast the whole leaf strips (that helps with the famous Virginia tongue bite) then rehydrate the strips and press them for a day. Then you can keep them pressed and cut thin flakes with a sharp knife or slice the flakes at the beginning and then keep them as flakes or rub them out (it will be like commercial "ready-rubbed."

I usually add Latakia to my blends because I like the taste.

That will be why I dont find Virginia very nice in the pipe...I will try toasting first..I was toasting my v.g when it was all I had to smoke..and had nothing to blend it with al...as well as casing it in white rum..maple syrup. .anaseed..etc..
Anyone good some tried and true easy nice pipe baccer casing recipes??

Knucklehead

Founding Member
DonH will be the man to talk to there. He sent me some samples of his blends that were out of this world. Prying the proportions out of him will be the hard part. lol I usually smoke my cigarette blend or different single varieties are good, Samsun - Maden, silver river, Bursa, etc. I even like Burley straight up. Don's Red Virginia is awesome too. Just sample around. Samsun - Maden is an Oriental.

Status
Not open for further replies.