Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Brand

GetAttachment.jpg
GetAttachment.jpg
GetAttachment.jpg
GetAttachment.jpg

Hi all
I had a cigar yesterday that I rolled from Little Dutch, Com Spanish, Flor Sumatra. The wrapper was Flor Sumatra.
When I rolled this cigar the tobacco was in a high case, maybe to high and I put the cigar in the oven to dry out. I had it in the humidor for about 2 weeks before smoking. It was okay, had a nice draw, but the wrapper didn`t burn properly, it went black but didn`t go to ash?? if you know what I mean.
The question, is it because it was dried in the oven till crispy dry, the wrapper looked really dry and oil-less, it wasn`t shiny and oily like a normal wrapper.
The cigar burned fine it is just the wrapper.
Regards
Ben

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Ben,
The most common cause of poor burning is leaf that is in too high a case.
I suggest the following case:
  • filler in low case (just flexible enough not to crumble when handled). It's OK if it cracks a bit.
  • binder in medium case
  • wrapper in high case, but not wet
Even if the high case filler dries enough to burn, it may not generate enough heat to fully burn the binder and wrapper. By starting with low case filler, you can light the cigar immediately, and it should fully burn the wrapper, even if the wrapper is wet.

Another cause of poor combustion is high chloride in the fertilizer. I assume that all your varieties were grown with the same soil/fertilizer, so that's probably not at work here. The filler burned.

Bob

Ben Brand

Bob
Thanks for that info, will try to roll the next one in lower case.
I was worried the oven robbed the leaf of essential oils, that`s why it didn`t want to burn. I did roll a few other cigars with a different wrappers and they were fine!

I roll my cigars and place them in a cigar press, but I really would like to roll my cigars free hand, and the next few will not use a press, know it will not be easy but will persist. The people that demonstrates it on YouTube make it look so easy. Interesting thing I saw on YouTube, after the person rolled the cigar, before the wrapper, he actually rolled it in newspaper and kept it in the newspaper till the wrappers were ready, suppose it is to keep the shape. I think all the cigar rolling on the web it`s quite confusing, to many ways to roll a cigar. I`m sure you will agree just keep on practicing.
All the best.
Ben

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I roll my cigars and place them in a cigar press, but I really would like to roll my cigars free hand, and the next few will not use a press, know it will not be easy but will persist. I`m sure you will agree just keep on practicing.
Take heart Ben. Bob nursed me thru the starting a few years back and I know your pain. I sometimes wonder how many times he has given the exact same advice. It is a matter of practice and feel. Bob says filler dry, binder not so dry and wrapper wet. He is correct but describing how that feels to my hands is impossible. Early I tried molds -- Haven't used one in two years. Early I used a bit of rubber matting for bunching and final smoothing. Now I don't use it for bunching and only occasionally for smoothing. I have found one thing that I don't think has been mentioned. I get better results when I keep my finger nails very short. It's not that they punch or slice the leaf but it just feels better and I get smoother cigars.

Keep your filler case as low as is handleable. The cigars will burn and be as good as your leaf. OK, now you have something you can smoke and enjoy. The refinements and niceties will come.

DGBAMA

never been a cigar type of guy. But seeing all this hand rolling going on is inspiring and really makes me want to try my hand at it (once I accomplish the growing and curing part) ........ one step at a time.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
never been a cigar type of guy. But seeing all this hand rolling going on is inspiring and really makes me want to try my hand at it (once I accomplish the growing and curing part) ........ one step at a time.
If you are truly inspired you could buy one of Don's sampler packs and give it a try.

DGBAMA

If you are truly inspired you could buy one of Don's sampler packs and give it a try.

really did not want to learn by rolling dollar bills. I am sure I will ruin more than my share. lol.

I know it varries a lot, but about how many "average sized" cigars do you get from 1lb of leaf?

johnlee1933

Founding Member
really did not want to learn by rolling dollar bills. I am sure I will ruin more than my share. lol.

I know it varries a lot, but about how many "average sized" cigars do you get from 1lb of leaf?
My cigars are about 7 gm. each. A pound is ~450 gm. I figure about 20% loss to ribbing. 450-90/7 ~ 50 cigars. These are pure numbers. I'd guess around 45.

MarcL

I think that's about right.

I got about 60 4.5 X 50 pyramids.

Attachments

• IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 70

BigMikeChevy

I think that's about right.

I got about 60 4.5 X 50 pyramids.

MarcL
cool looking cigars. guys been rolling some small cigars out of cigarette tobacco and found that the the lower the case the better the burn. if I roll a high case it needs to sit out for a while to dry if you put it back into in the humidor to quick it wont dry. the inside has to dry then you can recase the wrapper if to dry. these that I had to wait on really smoked well. now Ive been rolling like Don and having a lot less waiting time. Thanks Don

MarcL

MarcL
cool looking cigars. guys been rolling some small cigars out of cigarette tobacco and found that the the lower the case the better the burn. if I roll a high case it needs to sit out for a while to dry if you put it back into in the humidor to quick it wont dry. the inside has to dry then you can recase the wrapper if to dry. these that I had to wait on really smoked well. now Ive been rolling like Don and having a lot less waiting time. Thanks Don

Thanx Mike, :cool:
That sounds good. I try to keep the filler as long as possible. i'll keep um in the press to dry some.
MarcL

why are you storing your rolled with your leaf? drying portable humidor?

well, the cigars are in a higher case and use the scrap to draw out RH by re-drying it.
gotta wait ...

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
For fixing my case I put them in the basement next to the dehumidifier in a cigar box with the lid ajar for a week or so.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Oh and to raise case, the mudroom works great for large amounts at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.