Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

which variety would be best for a shade planting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DGBAMA

I have a couple small spots I can put some extra plants but they are mostly shaded. Someone please rank these varieties I am growing by order of which one likes shade the best. Possibly for some good wrapper leaf.

Silver river
YTB
Lonnie's Havannah
VA Gold 202
Turkish Izmir
Yayladang
Bursa

istanbulin

Founding Member
I think none of them are suitable for shade growing, especially the Turkish varieties you have (İzmir, Yayladağ and Bursa) don't give wrapper quality leaves even if they're grown under shade. May be you can try the Havana under shade to get some wrapper.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Ditto what istanbulin said. If, on the other hand you have the extra plants and you'd just throw them away anyway then plant them all in the shade-you have nothing to loose.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
To add another thought to what istanbulin and JBD said, most of those varieties have never been shade-grown. So you may be the first to see how they turn out. They will be thinner and milder than sun-grown. So the new knowledge would be something to gain.

Bob

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I've never grown Lonnie's Havana, but I've heard a lot of good things about it.

YTB would make a fine wrapper, but I don't know how much shade you're talking about.

Silver River could make an interesting wrapper, but it's a long season crop. Coupled with shade conditions, I'm not sure what it would do being planted this late.

I've never heard of anyone using a Flue Cured type as a wrapper, but we do a lot of stuff here that has never been done before.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Don brings up a good question. How much shade are you talking about? Shade grown tobacco typically uses 40% shade cloth. So that would be about 60% sun. If the spots you're considering are "mostly" shaded, then it may not be worth the trouble to plant them.

Bob

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I've never grown Lonnie's Havana, but I've heard a lot of good things about it.

YTB would make a fine wrapper, but I don't know how much shade you're talking about.

Silver River could make an interesting wrapper, but it's a long season crop. Coupled with shade conditions, I'm not sure what it would do being planted this late.

I've never heard of anyone using a Flue Cured type as a wrapper, but we do a lot of stuff here that has never been done before.
Because of my growing conditions all of my leaf is grown in about 40% shade. It is in raised beds so I don't have a root problem. CT shade is my first choice. Then in descending order MCY, Comstock Spanish, MD 609, CT broadleaf and YTB. I am not growing CT broadleaf or YTB this year.

DGBAMA

Thanks all.

The actual direct sun is probably around 6hrs/day but most of the shaded time is a "light shade" while not in direct sun, it is still very bright, not like being in a forrest. Also due to our humidity, temps will still be rather high even in the shade (90s).

I guess the only thing worse than too much shade would be not planting them at all, since they are already growing.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Thanks all.

The actual direct sun is probably around 6hrs/day but most of the shaded time is a "light shade" while not in direct sun, it is still very bright, not like being in a forrest. Also due to our humidity, temps will still be rather high even in the shade (90s).

I guess the only thing worse than too much shade would be not planting them at all, since they are already growing.
Put em in man. You still have time.

workhorse_01

My Metacomet is growing the best in the shade. Second place goes to Yellow Orinoco, and third is Zimmer Spanish. I think any will do well in the shade.

Status
Not open for further replies.