Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

what are some good ways to '' block'' baccy for storage,,,

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i have acess to a nice shop press,,,,

ive seen some people spray it then press it,,,,

what is the best way to get it into a brick form for storage,????

and what do you got to do to it,, after it comes out of the mold for pressing,??

i plan on making a nice brick sized box,,, for pressing it,,, should i use wax paper,, aluminum foil,??????e,t,c,???:confused:

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
It depends on what you're using the baccy for. For cigarette baccy, you want to store it in light case so the lamina cells remain open. Compressed baccy in heavy case will collapse the lamina cells and make it unusable for cigarettes....(unless you introduce the leaf to a vacuum and rapid decompression chamber to expand the cells) ((no home grower has even attempted this maneuver but it's routine for big tobacco...search "expended tobacco")).

If you're using the baccy for chew or pipe tobacco, yes, you can compress the leaf in heavy case and store it in a vapor proof package and it will last for years.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
It depends on what you're using the baccy for. For cigarette baccy, you want to store it in light case so the lamina cells remain open. Compressed baccy in heavy case will collapse the lamina cells and make it unusable for cigarettes....(unless you introduce the leaf to a vacuum and rapid decompression chamber to expand the cells) ((no home grower has even attempted this maneuver but it's routine for big tobacco...search "expended tobacco")).

If you're using the baccy for chew or pipe tobacco, yes, you can compress the leaf in heavy case and store it in a vapor proof package and it will last for years.

i'll be using it for ciggs....

so compress it in light case,,,,and then i store it in plastic bags? does the bag need to breathe,, or sealed air-tight,,,

im gonna wrap the bag in aluminum foil,,,, and store it as a brick, in my closet,

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
The leaf will dry out and become brittle if you store it in anything that is not air tight. There is some question if the leaf will age if stored in light case without any air exchange in the container. My personal opinion, home growers should not compress their tobacco for storage, but let it hang in the same place you cured it.

If you force ferment your leaf in a kiln, you can compress it in light case and seal it in vapor proof plastic bags. In theory, the leaf should last for years and only improve with age. If the seal breaks and the leaf becomes brittle dry, take your bale outside, unwrap it and let the dew set on it. Bring it back in side before the sun burns the dew off and the leaf should be back in case (depending on thick the bale is and how compressed it is). I suppose you can put it back in your kiln, but I don't know.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
so your theory is,,,,

after it comes out of the kiln,,,,, just let it air-cure in and out of case daily,, until ready for consumption,,,, then just pluck a couple of leaves for your use,?

i live in a very humid enviorment at nights,,,,{ the river is right at my backdoor''}

or would it be better to let it hang it in hands in the closet,? with good air circulation,,,

or in my camper where it will go in and out of case daily,, with good air circulation,?

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
sounds like with that campers conditions you wouldnt even need a kiln.
for storage, light case where it is just a little too damp to burn but if you left it out for a day would dry it enough to use, just store in produce bags from grocery store. or shred it and store it. if its ready to smoke it just needs to be wet enough that it doesnt fall apart when you handle it. the produce bags do a good job.