Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

9/11 Flight 93

Status
Not open for further replies.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I live close enough to the mass murder site to drive there in a couple of hours. The news was talking about a temporary site and then it would be closing before the 11th and a new site was opening. I missed the details, so I looked it up on line. The information was equally confusing, so I dug deeper.

The National Park service purchased 900 acres as a memorial site. There are two addresses for the Flight 93 Memorial site and neither one leads directly to the site. It's a shame the visitors will be going to a site where as they look over the site, it will be like looking at the ocean and saying "it happened somewhere out there". When I visit my Grandparents grave, I go to the headstone directly above where they are buried...I don't overlook the cemetery and think "they're somewhere in here".

I did quite a bit more digging and this is what I found.

This is the actual crash site
impact-crater1.jpg

This is what it looked like several tear later. There is no memorial site overlooking the site or any kind of indication where the actual impact site is.
impact-crater2.jpg

I really don't have a need to walk in the crater (now filled in), but maybe there should be a visitors area a few hundred feet away with an American flag that marks the spot. At least they changed the memorial's design from the Muslin red crescent to a circle.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
a memorial like the u.s.s. ARIZONA has would be nice,,,,{ the ship sunk in pearl harbour hawaii }

sort of a '' bridge'' walking area over the crater,{ they shouldnt have filled it in.}

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
The flight data recorder was found 25 feet under the 10 foot deep crater.
Once a year the state police Camp Cadet participants search the site as part of their program. “Even now we pick up a few garbage bags of aircraft debris,” Miller said. While some of the debris is smaller, during a recent sweep of the land a seat belt that belonged to the captain’s chair was discovered in a tree.
The National Park superintendent probably wants to prevent souvenir hunters from becoming grave robbers. This is the final resting place for all 44 passengers and crew, so I think it's considered Hallowed ground, but they could always put a fence up.

I guess my real problem is the way the site was marketed to over 1000 contestants for a memorial design. The "winning" design was by some architect in California that came with a price tag of more than 50 million dollars. It's not even the money that irks me...it's just the whole attention getting part about it. It the kind of place where there should be no distraction from what happened there. Soon, you'll be able to pack a picnic lunch or buy hot dogs and buy souvenirs at the gift shop. It's a cemetery, not an amusement park.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
^^^^^

thatd oes sound better,,,, making it like a military graveyard,, a bunch of white crosses with the names of everyone on the flight's name on it,,,

>wait crosses,?

im sure the a.c.l.u. wouldnt approve of crosses,,,'' WHAT IS OUR COUNTRY COMING TO,????

Status
Not open for further replies.