Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Please UN-subscribe to threads you don't follow

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Most of us follow a thread by subscribing to it and receive email notifications to alert us to a new post to all of our subscribed thread. The system is being overloaded with email subscriptions, so if you're not following a thread or if you're a regular member and can simply click on "view active topics" to find every post made since your last visit, can you please UN-subscribe to threads you don't follow or have easy access to?

If I can't get enough of you to manage your subscriptions, I'll be forced to remove the feature. It's easy enough to simply visit the site more often to read the posts in threads you're following.

Thank you,
Don

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I deleted all my subscribed threads, and found out why I was automatically being subscribed to them. In Settings, select General Settings, find "Default Thread Subscription Mode", change to "Do Not Subscribe" and then at the bottom of the page, Save Changes. The e-mails had gotten to be a PITA, thanks for prompting me to figure out what was going on. I had selected notifications "in Control Panel only", but was still receiving e-mails. There may be a problem there, as "in Control Panel Only" should exclude e-mails but didn't.

BarG

Founding Member
Figure it out Knuklehead:cool: Heh heh
I only subscribe to email notifications.
So if an ftt member needs to talk I will be there.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Click on Settings in the upper right corner. Click on Subscriptions in the upper center of the left toolbar.

I don't have any subscriptions, so I can't tell you what to do from there, but I'm guessing there is an option to remove or delete or cancel or something.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Clicking subscriptions lets you manage the threads you are already subscribed to. I went through and deleted all of mine to stop receiving e-mail.
Clicking General Settings will allow you to manage how you receive notifications. I selected Do Not Subscribe because even though I had selected "Through Control Panel Only", I was still receiving e-mails. It is possible that I was still receiving e-mail notifications because I was still subscribed to threads. It's also possible this function is not working correctly.
Try this: go to Subscriptions and delete all your subscribed threads. This way you start clean. Then go to General Settings and select receive notifications "Through Control Panel Only". If you still receive e-mail notifications, there is a problem in the system and you will need to go back to General Settings and select Do Not Subscribe.
After all changes, click Save Changes at bottom right.

jekylnz

I deleted all my subscribed threads, and found out why I was automatically being subscribed to them. In Settings, select General Settings, find "Default Thread Subscription Mode", change to "Do Not Subscribe" and then at the bottom of the page, Save Changes. The e-mails had gotten to be a PITA, thanks for prompting me to figure out what was going on. I had selected notifications "in Control Panel only", but was still receiving e-mails. There may be a problem there, as "in Control Panel Only" should exclude e-mails but didn't.

I think this will be everyone same issue..default thread subscription mode..now everyone knows it shouldn't be so overloaded.....Don can you change the default setting in user settings from now on maybe??

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I can allow you to subscribe to threads or not allow you to subscribe. If I allow you to subscribe, the rest is up to you to manage.

The system can only process 200 emails per minute, so when someone goes to two threads and posts quick replies within that minute, the system over-loads.

Whatever anyone has done so far as helped but it's just good practice to prune your subscriptions to the ones you really want to follow.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
When you post to any thread, you are able to select that thread for email notifications. Here's what I suggest, after removing any unwanted subscriptions from your Settings panel.

Settings | General Settings | Default Thread Subscription Mode

Set to Do not subscribe.

Now, when you post to a thread, if you really want to receive an email notification, then click Advanced, instead of Post Quick Reply.

Below the Advanced edit window, go to Subscription and click the checkbox to subscribe to that thread.

Bob

DonH

I think a switch got turned on a few weeks ago. I never subscribed to any threads and never wanted to. But I started getting lots of emails on Sunday nights. Thanks, Knucks, for figuring out how to turn it off.

DonH

Do not subscribe didn't work. I still got a bunch of emails. I'll try it again but I'll have to wait until next Monday to know if it worked.

I agree with Todd, I think the default setting is set to on and it should be off. That way people would have to go into settings in order to subscribe.

rainmax

Founding Member
Do not subscribe didn't work. I still got a bunch of emails. I'll try it again but I'll have to wait until next Monday to know if it worked.

I agree with Todd, I think the default setting is set to on and it should be off. That way people would have to go into settings in order to subscribe.

Same problem here. Can we solve this?

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I have turned off everything I can think of and still have about 10 Emails a day. Any other suggestions?

Messaging and Notification -- All three off

Default thread subscription mode -- Do Not Subscribe

are my current settings

workhorse_01

Me to! I even got an email from the un-subscribe thread.
I have turned off everything I can think of and still have about 10 Emails a day. Any other suggestions?

are my current settings

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
When you post to any thread, you are able to select that thread for email notifications. Here's what I suggest, after removing any unwanted subscriptions from your Settings panel.

Settings | General Settings | Default Thread Subscription Mode

Set to Do not subscribe.

Now, when you post to a thread, if you really want to receive an email notification, then click Advanced, instead of Post Quick Reply.

Below the Advanced edit window, go to Subscription and click the checkbox to subscribe to that thread.

Bob

1. delete every current subscription
  2. change your default setting to Do Not Subscribe
Bob

Knucklehead

Founding Member

Same problem here. Can we solve this?

are my current settings

Click Settings at upper right of page.
Click Subscriptions.
Check the box of all your subscriptions and delete them. You will have to do this step several times to get them all due to there being several pages of them.
You are still receiving e-mail from the OLD subscriptions already subscribed to before you changed your Settings. Delete the old subscriptions, and with your new Settings, the E-mail will stop.