Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Antique tuck cutter/board & cigar mold I would buy if.....

MarcL

Save Your $ !!! BigBonners is here with Me and it has been tried and tested. Worth far more than the asking price..... Hang that on the wall LOL( just funning)

No joke. ... this thing is just a stepping stone. if you want the real thing, it's BigB's machine. this will get it done though...

MarcL

MarcL ,I procured this tuck cutter yesterday. Thanks for the heads up.

Very nice! I have not seen one like it before. I was hoping the bider was someone here. Thanks for mentioning it. .. I wonder what the other side looks like and, if the lower blade adjusts. A pic or 2 would be nice if you could. nice one!

Smokin Harley

I should get it by Wednesday .I'll give it a thorough looking over and of course a pic or two. might even put it through its paces and see how it compares to my own home made tuck cutters.

MarcL

nice.. checkout this thing I should get it by Wednesday.

2Q==
$_57.jpg

charlie G.

That's a pretty cool item Marc. I have never seen anything like it.
Nice score Harvey, and a great price also.

Raodwarior

Nice piece if you need to measure ring gauges, as for 1800's not a freaking chance, that is a machined screw that holds the ruler in place. My best guess would be 50's if it solid wood 70's if it is plywood cant tell that from the pictures but my guess is 70's at the earliest and from the Dominican Republic. These are still used today to check ring gauges before the cigars are draw tested.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
The rule is clearly a modification made well after the gauge was made. It's not plywood.

There's a snuff company using the gunpowder making machinery used by Neapolitan, so age really has nothing to do with its utility.

Raodwarior

My point was more the people on ebay labeling anything from the tobacco industry molds etc to pre-1900 not the piece itself.

Smokin Harley

Most people selling these items have no clue what they are,probably just cleaning out an estate sale or great grandpas goody box.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
We've had our discussions about shredders v. slicers v. plug cutters. And then there were the "tobacco grinders" that turned out to be sausage stuffers.

That wooden ring gauge might have been from a turn of the 20th century factory (a la Samuel Gompers) that still hand-made all their cigars, and simply sorted them by ring, after the fact. Or it could have been used for QA. But it clearly pre-dates the truly fat ring size cigars of the last 25 years.

The objects are often boring, while their history can be fascinating.

Bob

MarcL

Gauges are 32 through 50, 41 is missing. the board holes are all 56. John J Sander New York. Looks like oak and, that old brittle plastic stuff.

IMG_0147.jpgIMG_0128.jpgIMG_0130.jpgIMG_0133.jpgIMG_0135.jpgIMG_0142.jpgIMG_0137.jpg