Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Mixing Different Types Of Tobacco

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel

Banned
Dan, how many lbs did ya get per plant with the YTB.

Not certain just yet but it is looking like it will be in the area of about 8 lbs from 50 plants. maybe a little more We still have some hanging in the shed but not much. So I will guess 2.5 ounces of tobacco per plant. Growing them in the ground could do much better.

wazzappenning

so, when i look at american cig mixes, burley seems to always be listed first. so i guess my question is, what are the preportions? i always thought virginia would be the most followed by a little burley, and a little turkish (depending on your tastes). i dont know what canadian blends are, but i have always preffered the american cigs.

Daniel

Banned
What I have come up with from all the info over the last year. A cigarette mix is
40% Burley, 40% Virginia and 20% orientals.

wazzappenning

thank you. now i just have to figure out what the yield of each of my types is. ill ask lakota, since he sent these.

wazzappenning

well, i just got my baccy today. i was really excited so i zig zag cut and rolled one from american virginia right away. it burned very slowly as fmgrowit warned me, that it has to be mixed with something else. it was mild enough. then i got out the blender and cut a little turk, burley(ligero) and dark air cured(ligero), and made a cig with approx 50%virginia, 30 burley, 15 dark, 5 turk. it was very harsh and gave me a nic buzz as well as some heartburn(which im prone to but not usually from smoking). ok next up was 20%my regular storebought tobacco, 60 virginia, 20 burley. it was also very harsh but not as strong no nic buzz.

so how do i smooth it out? i believe its all cured long enough. can the cut affect the harshness? do i need a kiln?

i had bought some organic tobacco (looked zig zag cut) for way to expensive and it did not taste like this, the mix was 1/4oz white burley, 1/8oz mahalla, 1/8oz yenidji. i used it at about 1/8 of my storebought, and it was not bad.

im going to try a little of each on their own and see if i can gauge my mix better.

Steve2md

Try about 70% of that Virginia, 15 Burley, 15 turk. LOW case. almost crispy. Let me know what you think.

wazzappenning

forgive me for my newbieism. case... ive read medium case and believed it was the humidity for smoking. so low is dry and high is wet. that sound about right? ill give it a try. i just did a sample roll, but kind of lost track of what was where. if im right i preferred the canadian virg and turk. the burley and dark almost taste like burning rubber. ill try it a little drier and see. im wondering if i got 3 lbs canadian and 1 lb american (i thought i ordered the other way around) the smaller bag looks darker to me.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Roll a pure stick of each variety. You only need to puff each one a few times to evaluate the relative strengths and flavors.

Dry tobacco rustles like autumn leaves when you touch it, and crumbles when you handle it. Low case has a softer rustling sound, but is flexible. Medium case feels and sounds like vinyl fabric. High case is limp, silent and feels damp.

Bob

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
im wondering if i got 3 lbs canadian and 1 lb american (i thought i ordered the other way around) the smaller bag looks darker to me.
I only had 1 lb. of Canadian FC. and I can't get anymore until September.

There are a lot of different things you can (should) do to your tobacco to make it more palatable. Search for "toasting" and try doing to to some of the Burley and FC. Top case some of the Dark Air and experiment. Taste is very selective and what tastes good to one person can taste like shit to someone else.

wazzappenning

im sorry, top case? sounds very moist. anyway, i went for low case and accidentally left the lids off all night. it being drier helps a lot. i think the rubberry taste was from it being way too humid.

will toasting mellow out the burley some? if not, next time i will go for lower leaves as this one is too strong for me.

fm, some of the dark has white spots on it, thats ok to smoke right? what is that anyways?

now that i understand what ligero is, im curious for my plants, if i can pull the top leaves and cure them seperately from the rest of the stalk?

thanks for all the help, this is complicated. should almost be in the tobacco science forum with experiments and all...lol

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
...im curious for my plants, if i can pull the top leaves and cure them separately from the rest of the stalk?
In a gradient from bottom of the stalk to top of the stalk, the leaves become darker, heavier and more flavorful. Along with that, the nicotine content increases from the bottom of the plant to the top.

I tag and save my primed leaf into four groupings:
  • mud lugs (sometimes called trash or volado); light, usually damaged, useful for filler; when these occasionally fall off the plant and cure against the damp soil of the ground, they can be immediately smoked
  • lugs (sometimes called simply lower leaf or seco); often the largest leaves; still fairly light and mild; can be useful for bright wrappers and filler; for cigars, this is the major component of all but the most ferocious of cigars
  • leaf (sometimes called red leaf or ligero); deeper in color, fuller in flavor and nicotine; useful for EMS to light maduro wrappers and heavier filler
  • tips; if allowed to mature, will age into very dark or black maduro to oscuro; often remarkably potent; sometimes sweet.

Bob

johnlee1933

Founding Member
In a gradient from bottom of the stalk to top of the stalk, the leaves become darker, heavier and more flavorful. Along with that, the nicotine content increases from the bottom of the plant to the top.

I tag and save my primed leaf into four groupings:
  • mud lugs (sometimes called trash or volado); light, usually damaged, useful for filler; when these occasionally fall off the plant and cure against the damp soil of the ground, they can be immediately smoked
  • lugs (sometimes called simply lower leaf or seco); often the largest leaves; still fairly light and mild; can be useful for bright wrappers and filler; for cigars, this is the major component of all but the most ferocious of cigars
  • leaf (sometimes called red leaf or ligero); deeper in color, fuller in flavor and nicotine; useful for EMS to light maduro wrappers and heavier filler
  • tips; if allowed to mature, will age into very dark or black maduro to oscuro; often remarkably potent; sometimes sweet.

Bob
Bob,

This is a valuable post for me as I mostly forget. How do I "tag" or "mark" this post for ready reference? Thanks,

John

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
You can bookmark it in your browser, or in a tribute to an earlier age, print it. (Highlight what you want, copy and paste it into Notepad, then print.)

Keep in mind, this is all relative. Some growers divide the leaf into many more positions, others into fewer. This is just how I've come to do it, in order to better understand the differences. With whole stalk curing, the sorting is performed by tossing the leaf into different piles or bins at the time it is stripped.

Bob

Daniel

Banned
I read this a while back concerning prime harvesting the names of the leaves and the position on the stalk etc. I posted it on another thread this morning after I saw the above post by Bob made into a locked thread. This was in regard to picking tobacco leaves for cigars but I think it would be handy for anyone trying to prime harvest. Of course nothing works better than learning to recognize a ripe leaf.

Primordial leaves Lost in seed bed
Mañanitas 37- 40 days small lowest leaves
Libre de pie 43 - 45 2 or 3 lowest leaves
Uno y medio 48 - 50 days Next two lowest
Centro ligero 52 - 55 days low basil
Centro fino 55 - 58 days 2 - 4 central leaf
Centro gordo 62-65 days 2 leaf below corona
Corona 70-75 days top 2 leaves
any other leaf 58 - 62 days harvest pre gordo (topping)

Daniel

Banned
I typed in the names above into google translate and came up with the following.
Resume,
Free Standing,
One and a half,
Central light,
thin center
Fat Center,
Corona.

Status
Not open for further replies.