Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Mixing Different Types Of Tobacco

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkh2

Southern Washington State I can see Oregon from my
I just mixed three types of Tobacco and made some cigarettes
Some Burley and Turkish from Bigbonner with my own Virginia Gold all three were in my kiln for sixteen days and it ain't bad if I do say so myself.
It burned evenly and wasn't harsh at all.

The Burley supplies the nicotine kick while the Turkish and Virginia Gold are smooth flavor, fillers more or less.

I got a box of Silk leaf not quite completely color cured or dry enough and a box of Green Brior Burley and some Burley 21 too.
Those are next to go in the kiln

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
that sort of sounds like the cigg. i got hanging out of my mouth right now,,,{ and im enjoying it like it was a fine cigar... because its my creation,, that i had planned months ago,, and finally enjoying a custiom made smoke,,, designed and cared for by me }

i got some of BIGBONNERS burley,,,{my burley crop didnt make it} and mixed it with my own turkish baccy,,,,and BIG-GEM{ a mild burley}

..i been rolling them ''fat'' so i can put it out,,and relight it,,,,

i smoke one cigg. 3 different times,,,,

props to bigbonners burley<------------and on a side note,,, i'd like to get my hands on some of that virginia gold,,,,you got seeds,?

dkh2

Southern Washington State I can see Oregon from my
I think I got them from grin I cant remember but in a few months I'll have a couple hundred thousand
from my own plants. I have three or four Virginia Gold plants with the seed blooms bagged
just the ones that are about 8 foot tall and have the biggest leaves.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
well keep me in mind i'd like to get some of those seeds,,,

next years patch is going to be immensive for a backyard grow,

BarG

Founding Member
Ive been mixing virginia bright leaf flue cured with my mont calme. Makes a great cigsrette. Just ran out of virginia and waitiing on a couple pounds. May add some yellow twist bud to the list.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
is yellow twist bud a good baccy for ciggs. ?

ive read a lot of nothing but praises about it,,,

if i keep hearing good reviews it may make it in the patch next year,,,

Daniel

Banned
I sure hope Yellow Twist Bud is good for cigarettes. I grew 50 of them this year and it was my number one produce in lbs of tobacco. about 5 lbs of shredded tobacco so far and still more hanging in the shop. I grew it on the recommendation from Don. So far none of it is fermented enough to judge it as a cigarette on it's own.
I also had some of Big Bonner's Burley last spring that I mixed some other tobacco with. Alone the Burly was the roughest tobacco I have had yet. when mixed it was the best tobacco I have had so far for cigarettes. I hope to get the same effect by blending B.B Burley with my YTB at 50 50 ratio. I also have Monte Calm Yellow I can add.

All I can say about YTB at this moment is that it takes on a great odor after about 30 days just setting in a bag at room temp. the smoke is still not all that great yet but getting better. Mine is mild so far and from what I have read that is not right. I might have messed up somewhere along the way or it just has not matured yet.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
How did you cure your YTB? If stalk cured, it will be strong and harsh without toasting or finish curing. Primed leaves are mild and don't need much more than a light casing before and after toasting.

Daniel

Banned
We primed all of it Don, I think we are going to start stalk harvesting it next year. A lot less work to hang a stalk than all those leaves. I was worried that space would be an issue this year. We did have to stalk harvest Virginia Bright Leaf and Bursa. They just do not want to cure otherwise.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I have a big experiment going on. Of the 15 varieties I grew this year almost half were stalk cured with the rest being primed. So far, my only data point is my wife. she is smoking stalk cured Virginia Gold (fermented for 3 weeks)... and she loves it!

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
I have a big experiment going on. Of the 15 varieties I grew this year almost half were stalk cured with the rest being primed. So far, my only data point is my wife. she is smoking stalk cured Virginia Gold (fermented for 3 weeks)... and she loves it!

id be very confused if i had 15 varities to '' MIX'',,,,,

johnlee1933

Founding Member
YTB for cigars?

Hi Don, Just started reading the cig thread. Are you suggesting primed, cured, fermented YTB might be a candidate for the mild cigar I like?

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I really like YTB for mild cigars and yes, I think it is best primed as it ripens. The more ripe the leaf, the stronger it will be. YTB even make a nice wrapper. I've never had it fermented, but everyone says tobacco is better after it is fermented.

BarG

Founding Member
I think the lower leaves are fine for cigs. for sure, I'm going by the 1/4 lb I had to sample, but the lighter colored leaves are a bit milder, I would suggest mixing with another variety though for cigs. It is great in cigars though. I just cut up my last few leaves this morning to mix with my monte, they were very dark red and are still mild enough for cigs. when blended.

Lakota

Founding Member
Cerasaan I think ounces per plant is a better gauge for finished tobacco. It depends on the variety, I grow burley, its a white stem so it could be a ergo or goldseal. It is quite mild for a burley. I don't kiln this type, just steam it. I did not do as well as I normally do because of hail. I had 130 plants which would do us ( wife and myself) for a year.

Cerasaan

Lakota, How many grams ya get from lets say 10 plants. I am trying to determine how many plants to grow. I am also thinking of adding 25 or 30 % more to make up for the hailstorms we have here. We had one hailstorm that demolished the garden & I shoveled 2 1/2 " off of my deck.

Lakota

Founding Member
I think on my burley I would get about 100 grams maybe a bit more. It depends on what you plant, soil, fertilizer, when you start your plants and many more variables. I would plant what you have room for the first year and then go from there. The leaf can be stored for years, you can never grow to much. Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.