Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

First Grow Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dimitris

Throughout the whole of March I was trying to germinate some İzmir Özbaş and Samsun seeds
bought from “aeratos” a greek seller on ebay. Not a single one sprouted. The same happened to other three buyers (victims) with whom I contacted.We guess that the seeds must be the ones that Spaniards brought to Europe. We felt pretty fool.

On April Fools' Day
icon7.png
I order Black Sea Basma seeds from tobaccoseed.co.uk and on April 12 they germinated in a percentage near 100%.
aprilios 2013.jpg

Transplant 120 of them in plastic cups ten days after sprouting.
30 april 2013.jpg

At this point I made a big mistake in watering. Nearly drowned them.They became yellow and started dying.

yellow.jpg

Dimitris

With controlled watering and using this biostimulator after six week the remaining (about 50) look like this.
june 2013.jpg

Seven are a little bigger but one is much bigger than the others.

To the left is my pride and joy. I call her Angela:rolleyes:. Is the only one with six inches high.

These two plants have the same age.
cmpr june 2013.jpg

Well, that's all till now. I'm at least one month back from a normal growth but I'll...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OH-hhxSaho

AmaxB

Terrible about the bad seed, how ever you have some growing and when mature you can get fresh seed from them for the next growing season.

Dimitris

Yes Knucklehead, they are reliable and really quick (five days from order to delivery)

AmaxB, next year would be easier for sure.

When I decided to grow tobacco, the plan was to mix it with the one that I'm buying to roll my cigarettes.That is why I start only with Basma.
But after seeing the light on this forum, next years target will be my one cigars.
Is there any topic with suggestions on varieties suitable for binders and wrappers?

ChuckP

Howdy Dimitris,

Your Plants are looking like they are off to a good start! What type of cigars do you like? There's several varieties for wrappers depending on what you like? I'm growing six varieties this year: Black Mammoth, Florida Sumatra, No. 3732, Long Red, Criollo and Habano2000.

Here's the link to the Cigar forum: http://fairtradetobacco.com/forumdisplay.php?38-Cigar-Tobacco

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
your off to a good start,, they look good, nice and green , and healthy.

Dimitris

Are you going to harvest seed?

Of Course. Gladly I'll contribute to FTT's seed bank when the time comes.
But aside from that, If you'll bag this One Sucker you got we may exchange seeds.

I don't have cross pollination problems.

forumdotabaco

hello Dimitris warned me about what happened with "areatos" I have to say that I brought seeds from him and I have germination rates at 100% from all the seeds I brought the "areatos" are the ones giving me better rates till now
the only thing I didn't liked was the mixed seed at 1:1 from izmir and black sea samsun but it was the only way to brought them, when I think about to different string mixed together I have my concerns, but I believe it could be another case of double naming of the same string ,I asked him about it, and he told me that's how they plant them there so I will have to wait to see how my plants do

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
You will see a diference in the plants if that was the mix. I would pass on any mixed seeds Myself. I like to know what it is when I plant. This is the place to get just that. I germinate My seed befor I send it to any one to plant. I had some poor seed that I shared with knucklehead and when it showed a % of 3 per 100. I let Him know so He could counter plant. (We knew it was old seed). You will get that type of input from Us here with the strains at 100% of what was asked for.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
If the seeds of the Izmir and Samsun were collected from properly isolated (or bagged) plants, then mixed afterwards, they will be easy to tell apart, since the Izmir has a sessile, Basma type leaf, whereas the Samsun leaf is much wider and heart-shaped, with a fringed petiole. BUT, if the seller says they are just grown that way, then I would consider them to be random hybrids, and not really worth all the effort to grow.

Bob

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
If the seeds of the Izmir and Samsun were collected from properly isolated (or bagged) plants, then mixed afterwards, they will be easy to tell apart, since the Izmir has a sessile, Basma type leaf, whereas the Samsun leaf is much wider and heart-shaped, with a fringed petiole. BUT, if the seller says they are just grown that way, then I would consider them to be random hybrids, and not really worth all the effort to grow.

Bob
Only if it's for the flower shop and not for use. But why do that when You can get the best here?

forumdotabaco

The guy told me that they mix them for planting and assure me that cross pollination was avoided, hey but in ebay there's always that risk I was conscious of that, but my bet will be to one string 2 names, why would some one selling seeds in ebay mix them? and I ask him about buying them in separated bag and he told that was ok but I had to buy 2, anyway its my first time growing, I'm learning, this kind of things will happen no matter what we do, I know I will distinguish them I'm not worried with that, about the germination is 100% they are the strings that are doing better.
At the time I was trying to avoid customs so a Greek guy was the best way to go, but since then I brought Vietnamese rustica from The USA and only took me a week to get the seeds and no customs involved so now I will be looking for seeds here.
I will start a grow blog so you guys can know with what I end up with, so in a few moths we can all be surprised or or laugh together about it.:)
I order a set of eppendorf tubs and petri boxes for germination testing and disease incubation so I can start to organise and study things.

Status
Not open for further replies.