Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Is this Bull @#$%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Brand

Had a Guy from Holland visit me last night, he had a cigar factory in Holland and South Africa ( Serengeti Cigars) he came to visit somebody and this guy came to show him my LITTLE setup, must say he was quite impressed with my cigar rolling, seeing that he was a cigar "fundi".
To cut a long story short, he told me the right way to smoke a cigar is, before one takes a draw of the cigar you must give a quick gentle blow on the cigar to get rid of the stale smoke in the cigar before the next draw, and that must happen before each draw. I watched him while we were smoking and he did so with every draw.

What do you guys think about that, was this Dutchman for real or was he bull @#$%ing me? :confused: Personally think that's way to much hassle for me, just smoke the damn thing, either way I enjoy it without trying to remember to blow before drawing.
Regards
Ben

johnlee1933

Founding Member
What do you guys think about that, was this Dutchman for real or was he bull @#$%ing me? :confused: Personally think that's way to much hassle for me, just smoke the damn thing, either way I enjoy it without trying to remember to blow before drawing.
Regards Ben
I agree with you. I smoke a couple of puffs now and a couple of puffs later and so on. I do blow out the smoke in the cigar before putting it down but really don't know if it makes a difference. Perhaps just another one of my oddities

Last edited by a moderator:

Ashauler

Founding Member
It's simply posturing. Ignore the Dutchman.

Bob
The term in cigar-speak for this is purging. I agree with Bob's statement if the guy is doing it prior to each draw. However, it is a valid technique to use upon re-lighting a cigar and when sitting a cigar down with the intention of saving it for later. This is more evident with the increasing body of a cigar. If, towards the latter 1/3 of a cigar the smoke becomes a bit harsh, a gentle purge followed by a little rest will improve it. Try it sometime.

You can also create a fairly impressive imitation of a blow torch if you hold a flame at the foot of the cigar during the purge.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
sounds like smoking a cigar needs a instruction manual.

Ben Brand

Agree with you, why does people always try to complicate things!!! That`s why we smoke cigars, to bring some calm and joy into our existence!!

Ashauler

Founding Member
Well, blowing gently through a lit cigar doesn't seem too complicated to me. Not nearly as much as shredding, bricking, toasting, flavoring, casing, top-dressing.......... :)

webmost

Well, blowing gently through a lit cigar doesn't seem too complicated to me. Not nearly as much as shredding, bricking, toasting, flavoring, casing, top-dressing.......... :)
hit the nail on the head

still

I put my cigar down all the time. Let it set a minute. Come back. Couple quick tugs to fire up the volume. Then a big hit for flavor. Easy street. If you're not relaxed, then you're not doing it right.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ashauler

Founding Member
hit the nail on the head

still

I put my cigar down all the time. Let it set a minute. Come back. Couple quick tugs to fire up the volume. Then a big hit for flavor. Easy street. If you're not relaxed, then you're not doing it right.
Yep, you got it, and I do the same most of the time. I sometimes smoke too fast though, if I'm otherwise occupied and heat the cigar up, which for me makes the smoke less pleasant than it should be. Then I purge, rest it, and toke slowly....easy-peasy-one-two-threasy.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Who said you were wrong?
He was being sarcastic.

His comment was a spontaneous reaction to learning how after 40 years of smoking cigars, he doesn't know how to smoke a cigar.

My favorite cigars have been made from tobacco that is NEVER used in cigar manufacturing, but I don't smoke cigars, so I can't have a valid opinion. I guess if I smoked cigars, I would know how bad my favorite cigars really are...,but until I know that.....I'll just keep enjoying them.

Oh yeah...I don't know how to smoke cigars either.

Last edited:

BarG

Founding Member
He was being sarcastic.

His comment was a spontaneous reaction to learning how after 40 years of smoking cigars, he doesn't know how to smoke a cigar.

My favorite cigars have been made from tobacco that is NEVER used in cigar manufacturing, but I don't smoke cigars, so I can't have a valid opinion. I guess if I smoked cigars, I would know how bad my favorite cigars really are...,but until I know that.....I'll just keep enjoying them.

Heh heh Thats just funny. I don't believe that!

BigMikeChevy

going to add to this thread. I dont know why while smoking a pipe or cigar guys dont inhale every time? why ? when a leaf is cured then fermented the nicotine level goes down. when smoking a cigar I get more of a buzz than a cigarette but thats why i go after the bigger prize.

Ashauler

Founding Member
He was being sarcastic.

My apologies. I was not aware that there was only one valid opinion and others were subject to ridicule. Won't happen again.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
going to add to this thread. I dont know why while smoking a pipe or cigar guys dont inhale every time? why ? when a leaf is cured then fermented the nicotine level goes down. when smoking a cigar I get more of a buzz than a cigarette but thats why i go after the bigger prize.

Mainly because pipe and cigar tobacco is not as acidic as cigarette tobacco. It tends to be close to alkaline but not quite. This means it is (or can be) harsh upon inhaling. You also do not need to inhale since there is much more free nicotine ( due to the higher pH) in the leaf than a cigarette leaf. Most former and current cigarette smokes will inhale a cigar.

Status
Not open for further replies.