Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Possible kiln idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fisherman

Hello,
I am constantly searching for something that will convert to a kiln or flue chamber and stumbled onto this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SAGE-7944-C...225?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item338328a599
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SAGE-7945-C...909?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3383127c7d
It is small but has capability of using a computer program that could ramp temps if you wanted.

http://www.sageproducts.com/lit/Y9897.pdf
http://www.sageproducts.com/products/warmers-microwave/warmers.cfm

Here are some of the program code and info:

http://www.arm.com/community/partners/display_product/rw/ProductId/4028/
http://www.freertos.org/a00017.html

Might make a good test kiln???? Using the bowl of salt for humidity control might work. Unit has vent but no humidity control per se.

Any input appreciated.

Mike

AmaxB

AmaxB

They should get you there... the black one as you have seen has a 30 step ramp soak so you can set it up for flue curing it does not have PC COMM
but that is just a perk. Once you get your self set for flue cure it will save as program than in the future you can re-run it and avoid set up.
The out put for ssr allows for control of devices like your heat source.
If you look at my thread you can see wiring post #21 your will be similar - http://fairtradetobacco.com/showthr...the-box-up-My-Build/page3&highlight=flue+cure
You will need to get a Thermal Couple (probe) for it I bought this one for the heat box I am making and received it a few days ago is nice and has 6' leads and you can't beat the cost OMEGA wants around
100 bucks for one of these. - http://www.ebay.com/itm/EGT-Thermoc...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item3a79d288a0
If you are going to flue cure and I assume you are maybe you can find something like leverhead has got, to use as chamber as opposed to building one.
Any way good luck with it all and look forward to seeing what you put together.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Def to small for kiln only ice box can work out great as conversion...
Actually, any size container will work fine. My first (baby) kiln was a converted wood toolbox. It's still in operation after 3 years. The problem with a tiny kiln is that the tobacco consumption of most forum members easily exceeds the leaf throughput of a small kiln. For me, the baby kiln plus the Cozy Can still can't keep up, since the leaf takes up residence for a month.

If that little SAGE thing in the original post were free, then I'd say add a Crock Pot and have at it. It would be good for small batches of Turkish. But spending big bucks on an undersized kiln will lead to the dreaded kiln envy.

Bob

Fisherman

I gotta do something fast tho...... The dashboard curing is producing something that is smokable and actually smells less like an electrical fire than last week if mixed with good stuff. Dang hornworms ate me a good bit last week Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr No Not in the feild but the hanging racks............. I thought one of the fellas was pranking me and stripping leaves from some stalks I had hanging and when I looked close was a dam fat sorruy bastid of a worm! And a few more that had ran outa green food that didnt look to happy and were somewhat stunted.

I got a best offer in on one of the 28 pack units and will try it i think. I am sure Mr Bob is right tho. I need about 3 pounds a month just for me. Maybe I can do like Mr Amax and stack. With each shelf in this unit capable of reporting temps It should be pretty easy to moniter that part and then only the humididty will be lacking. I keep thinking of the salt /humididty thing Mr Deluxe talks about and as small a unit as this is I could rig the humidity moniter up that Mr Amax advised on and use the bowl of salt If it will work to maintain humididty at any temp>?

At this point I need to re-read a load of info on kilning :)

Will start big unit this week. Dang steering unit for the boat went up $200 this month so I gonna put that off a while.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
ive found the best thing .. is something you built yourself,

just frame up some 2x4's.....seal it real good, insulate it, and call it a day.

AmaxB

Your making it hard Mr Fisherman
For a Kiln in my humble opinion you need 3 things: air movement, heat, and water vapor none of them need be automated.
The PIDs you bought can monitor but you don't need to use them for control
Make a box (you do not need to get above 140F so fire is of little concern).

Use 2x3 for frame or use (3/4 ply no framing to make the box) (box should be mad to fit door)

Line inside with 1/2 Ply (1st) than line with cement board the kind I used (second)

If framed use 2" foam board between framing and finish out side with ply.

If no framing glue 2" foam board to the outside of the ply box and cover with 3/4 ply sides, top and bottom. (I would frame it would be more stout)

Face the door opening with 2" Aluminum Angle fastening one side to the inside of the box the other side of the angle will serve as the facing to put your gasket on.

Get hollow core door fasten cement board to one side (the inside face of the door), drill holes in the out side face of the door and fill with expanding foam insulation.

Paint inside with high temp automotive engine paint

Use Hi temp automotive silicone gasket maker to seal all cracks inside the box.

Use EPDM for gasket (Lowe's has it at like $7) for door gasket

Hang your door,put latches on door, drill small through holes to insert your sensors to interior of the box.

Drill 2 holes for a power lines to feed heat source and a fan.

If using a griddle or crock temp control is built in.
To control fan speed use ceiling fan control mounted to out side of the box
All Done

Or convert ready made box

DonH

Thanks much for this, Amax. There are so many ways people have built kilns it can make your head spin. This looks like an excellent basic plan.

Fisherman

Well I got my lil unit for a song and am well pleased so far.

The trend here as a group seems to be going to kilning and even curing in containers with references to even bricks. This unit has currently 3 bricks in it and has a total of 8# of stemmed leaf in it. Making the bricks a different size and adding another fan would mean more.
At 1 # making 2 cartons of smokes this means the unit would keep up with my usage. It wont help for instance , if I needed to get lots of leaf cured and in storage like later this fall but is a plug and play unit for sampling and learning

I apologize for not building on my own this unit but some of us rednecks just dont have time for as much fun as others.

Unit cost total of $200 and that includes the humidor humidifier I am gonna try as it is smaller than my current "4 up-turned coke cans in plastic bowls" . Oh yes and the meter was $15.

Using 2 cans and 1 tray got me 48% RH and adding other 2 raised to a steady 61%.

k4.JPG

With the new humidity unit I can make the bricks maybe 30% larger making total possible cure in region of 12-15 #. This is 1/2 year smoke for me :)

k5.JPG

The green lites let you know that area is at desired temp. Pretty cool :)

k6.JPG

Here is baby brick: has 1 pound 3 oz. of stemmed leaf.

k2.JPGk3.JPG

Unit is not vented to good but also is not leaking or making much condensation either. The humidor humidifier will add the remaining humidity and I need to add maybe a small lite bulb to get unit about 3 degrees hotter.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Will be watching this kiln with great interest. I like the compact size, one reason I've been hesitant to go the upright freezer route.

Fisherman

My new unit came in finally. Cost $450 with shipping which was pretty cheap for a metal cabinet and system pretty much set up.
Will change out the existing controller which tops out at 50 deg C and should be ready for test run after getting the door hinge fixed and replacing the fan motor.
Unit is a Bellco incubator purchased from Ebay. If I could have picked up locally it would have only been $250. :(
Unit does heat up to 50 deg C but cant tell how long it will take to bring whole cabinet to that temp yet. It is all powdercoated steel and has slotted strips on sides for racks also.

Inside is 36" x 24" x 6'+ or about 36 cubic feet.

l1.JPG

l2.JPG

l3.JPG

I understand that this purchase breaks a lot of official redneck rules but there is some consolulation in re-cycling also.

Unit has 4 internal plug-in fixtures but not sure how they are hooked up. Wether to controller or to constant on or what at this moment. Also no exhaust system in unit at present.

l4.JPG

AmaxB

Post #13 wicked and loving it!
Don't know how I missed this...I have been waiting, now I got to get down to post #15 to see what is going on there.:p

AmaxB

Yes that is a nice looking unit. Breaking what redneck rules---hell man if at the time I could have found something like you have there I would not have built my box, but would have bought it!
That is looking Sweeeeettt. I proclaim we make a new LAW, Fisherman must keep us updated in reference to this interesting project. As penalty for failure to keep all interested in the know he shall on no certain day
look to the havens to see the dreaded Chicken Hawk circling above. At that precise time the Chicken Hawk will release his payload upon the land of the Fisherman and in the midst of the sounds of thud and spatter
the Fisherman will know he is DOOMED...

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Yes that is a nice looking unit. Breaking what redneck rules---hell man if at the time I could have found something like you have there I would not have built my box, but would have bought it!
That is looking Sweeeeettt. I proclaim we make a new LAW, Fisherman must keep us updated in reference to this interesting project. As penalty for failure to keep all interested in the know he shall on no certain day
look to the havens to see the dreaded Chicken Hawk circling above. At that precise time the Chicken Hawk will release his payload upon the land of the Fisherman and in the midst of the sounds of thud and spatter
the Fisherman will know he is DOOMED...
Cute Brent Cute. All in favor say Aye.

Status
Not open for further replies.