Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Freezer assist cure

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaccaChew

I froze a whole large leaf last nite for an hour. Then hung it like usual from a wire to thaw and procede to lose water.

I figure rupturing cells might lead to interesting results. The thawed leaf certainly has an ugly color. It was a bright green one from a top portion to start with, and is now almost olive colored.

Will try it as a chew at some point in the future.

Daniel

Banned
I had some plants freeze last spring. It didn't help my cure at all. the leaves looked like cooked spinach and dried green. They are now compost. Let us know how it works out for you. My first thought is that rupturing the cells you just took away the ability to one cure and second ferment. I don't know enough about the process to be certain though.

BaccaChew

The leaf dried in a day or three. Unusual, I thought. It was very dark green, almost black. Leathery feeling, moreso than the brown cured leaves I like to chew.

The taste qualities left alot to be desired. Strong uncured bitter, 'green' taste with very spicy, almost jalapeno-hot quality to it. I do not object to the pepperiness of it, but the green taste was not all that great. Plus my spit was some color of green instead of a healthy brown (like nature intended it!).

Glad I did it to only one leaf. Interesting enough, but not worth doing again. For me at least.

BaccaChew

That is an interesting experiment what do you expect the out come to be ?
A quicker color cure time ?

I did not really know what to expect. Sometimes you gotta try something on a small scale "just to see".

I guess I was hoping that all the enzymatic activity would yield a very fast brown cure. Slow and natural is far better!

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The explanation is that yellowing is caused by living metabolic processes within the leaf, rather than purely enzymatic action. If you kill the leaf while it is green, then it can not yellow (which is simply the inherent yellow color being revealed after the green chlorophyll can no longer hide it). The green taste is the chlorophyll that has not been degraded. [It will freshen your breath.]

Bob

Daniel

Banned
I'm still with you Baccachew. You never know unless you try. Like Edison would say. You know one more way to "Not" cure tobacco. He said it about the several thousand ways he found to "Not" make the light bulb.

BaccaChew

Yep Daniel.

"Results? Why, man, I have gotten lots of results! If I find 10,000 ways something won't work, I haven't failed. I am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is often a step forward...." -- Thomas Edison

BaccaChew

Hi DeluxeStogie,

I guess this is the way an Eskimo might have tried manufactoring chewing tobacco. One of their less culinary tries, that is!

And their breath woulda still smelt fishy! LOL

I will have to query my dogs how my breath smelt afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.