Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Two Completed Rifles from Knucklehead Firearms, INC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Thank you sir. I have a few more I built. Some not as nice as these as I was in the learning stages. When I first started, I would rasp the wood too close to it's final shape and by the time I had it finish sanded, the wood would be lower than the metal around places like the tang. I finally got out of that habit. I'll find some photos and post them. The hardest one I did was a two piece stock for a 1885 Winchester Falling Block. The wood is the most gorgeous I have ever seen, Tiger stripe walnut. Out in the sun, the dark and light stripes switch places when you move the gun back and forth in the sun. The light stripes go dark, the dark stripes go light, it just flip flops back and forth. It looks like the wood is alive. I let the tang get proud of the wood on that one and I would like to go back and re shape the cheek piece some day. It's worth seeing just for the wood though.

I'm a gun nut too. I like the old Mausers and have several in original condition, matching numbers, great bores, etc. I call them red neck gold. I have them put back until the economy improves. Drawers full of parts.

I hunted with the 257 Roberts this year, but didn't waste a shot on a doe because we had so many pictures of nice bucks. The bucks went nocturnal on me and I never got a shot on one of those either. The gun shoots a nice tiny cloverleaf group though. I have taken deer with other old guns I had put together. It is really satisfying to take game with a reloaded cartridge in a home built rifle. Like smoking home grown tobacco in a home made pipe. I built a 35 Whelen on a large ring action. It's a hoss.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Ah, several gun builders. Here's some of my junk.
www.fowlingguns.com

Wow, Brooksy, nice website and some fine firearms. You are way out of my league, I just piddle around with them. I tried that Suigi method on a curley maple piece, where you scorch the wood with a torch to bring out that lively grain. It turned out pretty good, but it is hard to get right and I could see it would definitely take some practice to get good at it. I'll be going back to your site and spend some time there. Thanks for posting that.

quo155

Thank you Knucklehead for answering my question...as you are very correct! I too would say that shooting one of your hand loads through a rifle you've built or spent any great length of time with...is much like anything else you pour yourself into. I have yet to roll my first cigar...yet...but I can visualize what you're saying!

Beautiful work! I'd be proud!

Brooksy...wow! Thanks for sharing your site (welcome to FTT by the way!)...and you too do beautiful work. Very nice!

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
Ah, several gun builders. Here's some of my junk.
www.fowlingguns.com

I don't think this thread will ever get old. I tried My hand at checkering and inverted checkering. All I have to say about is -never mind. I built a kit one time and the checkering came out like a mess. I used a book on how to checker and jewel.I won't do that as well LOL. Nice junk Brooksy, Are You going to run a batch of tobacco?

Brooksy

I don't think this thread will ever get old. I tried My hand at checkering and inverted checkering. All I have to say about is -never mind. I built a kit one time and the checkering came out like a mess. I used a book on how to checker and jewel.I won't do that as well LOL. Nice junk Brooksy, Are You going to run a batch of tobacco?
Thanks all for the kind words, I didn't intend to hijack this thread. I build nothing but flintlocks and have been doing it since 1980, full time since 1996. I'm working on a French fusil de trait with an outrageous piece of curly walnut from oregon at the moment. Will have lots of carving and engraving when it's done. Just got all the parts inlet and the wood all rounded up, now it's time for decoration! PBS came out and filmed me last week. for a series called the craftsman's legacy. Interesting day to say the least. It should air this fall.
Tobacco...YES! First year of growing. I have a bunch of seedlings, but the weather is incredibly cold here in Iowa, be a while yet befor they go out. CT broadleaf, FL Sumatra , A couple of Habanno varieties, Indian Black,, WI 901 and Long Red. Had problems so far, my house is too cold...I'll have a different set up for starting seeds next year.
I've also learned to roll some of the finest cigars I've ever smoked thanks to this board. I have never posted up till now as I don't have enough experience to add anything intelligent....read and learn has been my policy so far!

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Rolling this over into a gun discussion sounds like a great idea. If it goes anywhere we'll ask if a Mod can rename it something more open like "Firearm Chat" or something. ? I should have done that to start with and wasn't thinking.

Keep us updated on the film. I'd like to see it.

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
Or even the things Tobacco growers love to do as well? Show a little of the skills folks have as well. I have read some real neet things folks add in Their posts. I enjoy it as well.

charlie G.

That is very impressive work. You have some real skills. I love the wood on the first gun. Keep up the great work.
Do ever do repairs on Pipes ?

Smokin Harley

I took time off from pipe making to finish two rifles I've been building from surplus Mauser actions. This first one is a truck gun I built for carrying around in the off season in the truck and on the four wheeler for compactness and fast handling. It has an 18" Swedish Mauser carbine barrel I bought surplus. Had never been on a rifle. I soldered on the aftermarket banded and hooded front sight. I drilled and tapped for the ghost ring rear sight. I painted the metal with Duracoat Firearm Finish. HK black. I made the stock from American Black Walnut with rosewood forend tip and grip cap. Those are maple spacers between the walnut and rosewood. (that was a booger) I want to go back later and reshape the grip cap, I tried a different shape and the more I look at it the less I like it. Instead of setting the barrel shoulder back and re-reaming the chamber for proper headspace, I just tried several spare bolts I had on hand until I found one that headspaced correctly with the new barrel. For old eyes the ghost ring sight is awesome and the rifle is light and handles like a dream. It is in the original 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser caliber. Although I filed down the stripper clip boss on the receiver bridge for the ghost ring rear sight, I'm still able to quickly reload it with stripper clips. View attachment 6061View attachment 6062

Beautiful work

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Looks great so what all do you hunt?

Deer, Turkey, Dove. Used to hunt it all. I really miss the days of hunting quail over bird dogs. Our quail and rabbit are almost gone around here. (DNR in their infinite wisdom reintroduced coyotes around here a few years ago. May the fleas of a thousand camels infests their tents!!)

rustycase

Gosh that is a very nice truck gun!

.257 Roberts is a great round for most North American game until you get up into moose, elk, or the dangerous game.

I use a Remington .308 with a shorter barrel. Not quite as compact as yours, but pretty much same utility.

Good hunting!
rc

dondford

Like Knucklehead, this Alabama boy enjoys building rifles and love Mauser actions. IMHO, the Mauser (particularly the 98) is the finest bolt action ever made. It's no accident the 03 Springfield, Winchester 70, Ruger 77 and others were based on the Mauser control feed design. I usually build a rifle each summer to use the next deer season. I prefer the English style stock designs, like pretty wood (life's too short to tote a ugly rifle) and prefer the older traditional calibers. Once I get a Mauser in, it is taken down and the action is all I end up using. I usually fit a commercial trigger with side thumb safety, commercial bolt shroud, commercial bolt handle and barrel. I do my own stock shaping, finish with 8-10 coats hand rubbed oil finish and do 6-8 rounds of rust bluing. I usually use Neidner butt plates, unless a heavy caliber and often a neidber grip cap. I love the English style straight ebony fore-arm cap. The top rifle is a Model 98 action, but built in the Model 95 6.5 x 55. IMO, the 6.5 x 55 is a great deer caliber and this rifle has 13-14 one shot kills to its credit. The 6.5 x 55 is a great caliber to reload and the looong 6.5 bullet has great sectional density and a great ballistic coefficient. The bottom rifle is built on a Model 95 action in 250-3000 (250 Savage), this is my doe gun and is also hell on coyotes.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• resized_IMG_0162.jpg
    resized_IMG_0162.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 35
  • resized_250-3000-1.jpg
    resized_250-3000-1.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 34

dondford

Typo Correction: The bottom rifle was built on a Model 96 action, commonly referred to as the Swedish Mauser. Was built for the Swedish government, almost all in 6.5 x 55. Many 98 fans don't like the 96 because it cocks on closing and the action is not quite as strong as the 98 (the straight bolt handle does not engage the receiver and act as an auxiliary locking lug as does the 98. I load fairly hot, so I went with the 250-3000 instead of the normal 6.5 x 55 and went with the 6.5 x 55 on the 98 action. I have built several rifles on the 96 action and have found the fit and finish on the 96 often superior to the 98.

Status
Not open for further replies.