Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Two Completed Rifles from Knucklehead Firearms, INC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rustycase

Nice firesticks!
If I were to get another I would consider the 6.5 Grendel.

cartridgesace.jpg

For smaller game & varmints, ballistics are very good.
rc

vinconco

The art of building fine rifles is fading fast. Customizing mil-surp 98's and 03's was very popular in the 50's thru early 70's and it's interesting to see someone is still doing it. Give us a closeup of the checkering.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Like Knucklehead, this Alabama boy enjoys building rifles and love Mauser actions. IMHO, the Mauser (particularly the 98) is the finest bolt action ever made. It's no accident the 03 Springfield, Winchester 70, Ruger 77 and others were based on the Mauser control feed design. I usually build a rifle each summer to use the next deer season. I prefer the English style stock designs, like pretty wood (life's too short to tote a ugly rifle) and prefer the older traditional calibers. Once I get a Mauser in, it is taken down and the action is all I end up using. I usually fit a commercial trigger with side thumb safety, commercial bolt shroud, commercial bolt handle and barrel. I do my own stock shaping, finish with 8-10 coats hand rubbed oil finish and do 6-8 rounds of rust bluing. I usually use Neidner butt plates, unless a heavy caliber and often a neidber grip cap. I love the English style straight ebony fore-arm cap. The top rifle is a Model 98 action, but built in the Model 95 6.5 x 55. IMO, the 6.5 x 55 is a great deer caliber and this rifle has 13-14 one shot kills to its credit. The 6.5 x 55 is a great caliber to reload and the looong 6.5 bullet has great sectional density and a great ballistic coefficient. The bottom rifle is built on a Model 95 action in 250-3000 (250 Savage), this is my doe gun and is also hell on coyotes.

Absolutely gorgeous! I also love the caliber selection. I built a 35 Whelen (30-06 necked up to .35 caliber) on a '98 action. It will kill anything in N. America. I like the old school wildcats, and I'm not a big Magnum fan.

I finally put together the equipment to do slow rust bluing, but have yet to actually do it on a rifle. I used Duracoat on the two pictured.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Gosh that is a very nice truck gun!

.257 Roberts is a great round for most North American game until you get up into moose, elk, or the dangerous game.

I use a Remington .308 with a shorter barrel. Not quite as compact as yours, but pretty much same utility.

Good hunting!
rc

I love the .308. It's an extremely versatile cartridge.

dondford

Absolutely gorgeous! I also love the caliber selection. I built a 35 Whelen (30-06 necked up to .35 caliber) on a '98 action. It will kill anything in N. America. I like the old school wildcats, and I'm not a big Magnum fan.

I finally put together the equipment to do slow rust bluing, but have yet to actually do it on a rifle. I used Duracoat on the two pictured.

Thanks, I agree on the 35 Whelen (and the Magnums) and also have one on a 98 action; started out as a wildcat and became so popular they made it a factory round. I love the 30-06 case and have built the Whelen, 338-06 and 6mm-06 on that case. The 6mm-06 was over-bore but an absolute screamer, better keep those cases trimmed! One of my favorite rifles is a 35-30-30 built on a Martini Cadet action. I built it in the German Stalking rifle style. It has an octagon barrel my brother built for me using an old surface grinder, detachable scope and tang peep sight. It is a fun little rifle to shoot and to load for; started out shooting 200 gr bullets, but felt that load was too heavy for the action and went to 180 gr bullets, great little quick handling bush gun.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 35-30-30.jpg
    35-30-30.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 54

DGBAMA

My grandfather sporterized a 6.5 Japanese, rechambered to 6.5x257. Sweetheart to shoot, but accuracy of the old barrel was less than stellar. It got traded off for something more accurate. Wish at 18 yrs old I knew rebarreling was an option, miss that gun.

rustycase

I sure do like Dons Martini action!
I'd prefer to keep my distance from ll them long mags and high rates...
30-30 is a fine round for plinking, and even dropping a deer.
rc

Status
Not open for further replies.