Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

The Doctor has arrived

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel

Banned
A salt solution is how you calibrate a Hygrometer by the way. even if you had a pan of soaking wet salt it would keep the humidity in the chamber at 75% humidity as long as not all the salt dissolves and as long as the chamber does not leak. a little ventilation in a kiln goes a long way. Sort of like a natural humidistat.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
In my most recent test I got 130 degrees but only 65% RH. I've checked for leaks. It seems tight. Perhaps my hygrometer is off. Anyway, I'll soon have the rock salt and can try again. I looks like I will have to add insulation for cold weather kilning. I hope to have several batches this year.

John

wazzappenning

ill admit i know next to nothing about the kiln process for tobacco. all i know is i saw somewhere a heating element for sale and a build your own kiln. it also said great for drying fruit.

that got me thinking my parents used to dry fruit in B.C. in a plywood box maybe 4 ft high 2ft wide/deep with trays in it and a 100 watt lightbulb in the bottom end. could this work, or do i still have a lot to learn?

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I'm not an expert but all I've read and been told you need heat and high humidity to ferment tobacco. (110/130 deg F 65/75% RH) The 100 watt bulb might do the trick depending on how cold is outside but I think the wood box might suffer from the high humidity. Read the above and some of Dr. Bob's other stuff for more ideas. Several guys, myself included, use old fridges or freezers as the box. (See My Pix above.) There are threads in the "curing tobacco" section of this forum that give a lot of info.

John

johnlee1933

Founding Member
thanks. when the time is right ill try to find something at the scrap metal place.

Yes and if you know your refuse/garbage man ask him to keep an eue open for you. Frequently they are paid to cart away dead freezers or fridges/. So for $20 or so you can have exactly what you need, cheap.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.