Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

The Doctor has arrived

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrBob

Founding Member
I made it here and like the new forum format. It is pretty easy to use! I like it.

Dr.Bob

BigBonner

Founding Member
Its getting Better , Dr.Bob is in the house . He is tops when it comes tro Crock pot curing . I have personally tested his tobacco and can say he does know what he is talking about .

MR.BIG

BarG

Founding Member
You sound semi- retired DrBob, Thats where I was Till recently. I'm looking forward to being there again.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
welcome bob,,,,

havent seen you since i visited that OTHER SITE,,,,,it's been months<

Tom_in_TN

Hey, Dr Bob.

Got your post on building a Crock Pot Klin archived. It is a keeper and wanted to say thanks a bunch! It's a Doozy and a very clever, ingenious way to kiln our home grown leaf.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
my crock-pot / heat lamp kiln worked good last year,,

this year im doing a little modifying<

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
well it was made out of wood last year,,

this year im making it out of cut ''big metal road signs'',{ i had warpage last year}......and i may use dual lights,,,

Tom_in_TN

'Fraid to ask where you got the "big metal road signs". So, what happened with the warpage? Was it from too high humidity?

Anyway, I need to build a kiln this season so any help is welcome. Thanks.

DrBob

Founding Member
In response to BarG I have been Dr.Bob since I was 6 Years old. I got caught playing doctor with one of the girls in school. Somehow the name stuck. The only house calls I do are with the same patient anymore I guess she is happy enough with my periodic exams as she hasn't been out seeking second opinions.
I Was kinda embarrased the first day or so after the janitor caught me and spread the word of my doctoring abilities but the name stuck. I kinda like the name now. I guess it is a lot better nickname than my buddy bill that goes by the nickname of whimp who is 350# half fat half muscle.
My crockpot heated kiln has proven itself as a very useful curing tool as I have been using the same machine for almost 4 years now. The biggest problem I have found is that the crockpots last about a year tops. It isnt a big deal I buy em when they are on sale for about ten bucks. The local farm and fleet has them on sale this week for $8.99 I am going to buy me about 3 of them tomorrow.
As for the curing chamber it is an old upright freezer that I got paid to haul away. I cut a couple of vent holes in it put the crockpot in the bottom and control the temperature with a $10.00 water heater thermostat.
I cure my tobacco at 120-125 degrees until it smells good. 3 weeks for 3 month dry tobacco less time for older tobacco.
Dr.Bob

BarG

Founding Member
DrBob, My temporary kiln is 5.6 cubic ft.,24" x 20" x 21"[an old dishwasher] I'm doing fine with the temperature 120-125 degree[crock pot] but having a little trouble keeping humidity high enough. I once a day spray mist over bags to help alleviate. After 10 days there is already a noticable difference in the smell of the several different varietys I'm experimenting with. They have a much sweeter smell. Still experimenting before a permanent kiln box constructed or confiscated from other uses, [I have 2 up right fridge, freezers used for slow drying wood turning blanks.]. A taller box or wider box might add some distance from heat souce and maybe retain more moisture inside ziplocks.

DrBob

Founding Member
BarG, A taller box would work better. An insulated box would work better also. My freezer is over 6'tall and I hang my tobacco in the top half the lower levels seem to be a bit dryer. A good sealed enviornment is crucial! although you do need some venting you do not need much. My vent is a 1" pvc pipe with a ball valve on it (think chimminy) the ball valve is set about 1/2 closed.
The temperature is controlled by the thermostat. I control the humidity with the ball valve, more ventilation=dryer climate Less ventilation=wetter climate.
On some occasions I did my daily tending of the kiln and found it bone dry and traced it to a leaking door seal allowing too much fresh air in or meybe allowing the humudity to escape. The fix to that was rubber straps helping to seal the door.
I do not use a humidity gauge any more I just go by feel. Simple enough, Keep your chamber air tight, vent a minimun to controll excess humidity.
I also use 3 small computer fans to keep the air moving in the chamber.
I do not put my tobacco in ziplock bags either I just let it hang there
Bob

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I just switched from my old hot plate + blower to a crock pot donated by family. The kiln is a gutted freezer I got for hauling it away. The blower is a fan from a junked desk top HEPA filter I got from the dump.

IMG_1337.JPGIMG_1339.JPG
Old Arrangement New w/Cpot

I just fired it up and will get back in a day or so with temp/humidity results I plugged the vents I previously cut for this test. When it is really cold they lose too much heat.
I'll just have to work that out. The crock-pot is only 210 watts so in cold weather I may be borderline or need to add more insulation. It has three settings. Right now I have it on "high" but may be able to back down in warm weather. Still to be added is a dish of rock salt. It will fit to the right of the blower. The thing hanging is a hot water heater thermostat. I didn't buy mine but they cost about $20.

John

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
John,
That looks like a mighty fine kiln. I believe that a lower Crockpot setting will simply stay on longer, but be less likely to boil away the water. (I run mine on low with its lid in place all the time. It's a tiny 2 qt. version with 2 settings, lo and hi, with a max rating of 100 watts.)

I worry about all the electrical connections being inside the kiln, in terms of shock hazard in the high humidity. I believe DrBob has his connections inside as well, and hasn't had a problem. I would be inclined to install a ground-fault safety outlet on the nearby wall, into which you can plug in the whole unit. But that's just me.

Bob

DrBob

Founding Member
johnlee
210 watts is just fine. The weak link in cold weather is the door seals. They freeze at temps below 5F. Water (condensate) collects on the seals freezes and forces the door open. I added 2" of foam on the outside of my chamber by glueing it on. Believe it or not most refrigerators or freezers are insulated to r-5,,,, 2" of foam increases it to r-15. What is the pourpose of the rock salt?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
DrBob,
In a closed chamber, an open container of rock salt (NaCl) will absorb water vapor when the relative humidity is above 75, and will release it when it falls below 75. This is true at room temperature. It serves as a humidity stabilizer. (I don't know if it would help with the cold weather condensation.) It basically adds 1 to 2 days to my time between adding more water. My tiny kiln uses a plastic cup with about 1/2 C of rock salt. I would guess a container with about 1 lb of rock salt would be in the ballpark for a freezer-size kiln.

Bob

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I worry about all the electrical connections being inside the kiln, in terms of shock hazard in the high humidity. I believe DrBob has his connections inside as well, and hasn't had a problem. I would be inclined to install a ground-fault safety outlet on the nearby wall, into which you can plug in the whole unit. But that's just me.

Bob
Bob. We agree. I set it up on a GFI because it is outside. All of my outside are GFI and quite a lot of the inside ones as well.

John

johnlee1933

Founding Member
DrBob,
In a closed chamber, an open container of rock salt (NaCl) will absorb water vapor when the relative humidity is above 75, and will release it when it falls below 75. This is true at room temperature. It serves as a humidity stabilizer. (I don't know if it would help with the cold weather condensation.)
Be sure it is sodium chloride (NaCl). Much of the so called "ice melt" stuff is calcium chloride (CaCl) and it has a much higher affinity for water.

John

DrBob

Founding Member
If the rock salt works for you great! I have never used it and have had no problems
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.