Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Tobacco tea pesticide

Status
Not open for further replies.

marksctm

Can you make the tobacco tea too strong to where it would harm, or even kill a tobacco plant?
I apologize if this has already been asked.
Thanks.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Nicotine has no effect on plants, which have no nervous system. It's certainly possible to create a potion that is quite dangerous to birds, animals and you.

Bob

ChuckP

Howdy!

Or if some spills on you! It can put a crimp in your dance plans! I'd avoid putting on flowers or at the tops of flowering plants. The nicotine can rub onto the legs of bees and they can bring it back to the hive (if they survive that long).

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Back a few years Black Leaf 40 was a common pesticide. Chemically it is Nicotine alkaloid, 95%; nicotine sulfate, 40% and is for sucking insects. You can make a similar potion by cooking tobacco in water. Black Leaf 40 has been banned and if you choose to make your own I urge caution. I to it for very limited applications and am extremely careful. And no I will not say how I do it so don't ask

marksctm

Nicotine has no effect on plants, which have no nervous system. It's certainly possible to create a potion that is quite dangerous to birds, animals and you.

Bob
Thank you Sir for your help and reply Bob.

Back a few years Black Leaf 40 was a common pesticide. Chemically it is Nicotine alkaloid, 95%; nicotine sulfate, 40% and is for sucking insects. You can make a similar potion by cooking tobacco in water. Black Leaf 40 has been banned and if you choose to make your own I urge caution. I to it for very limited applications and am extremely careful. And no I will not say how I do it so don't ask
No need to ask ya, I made some yesterday and it killed some hornets, (fast) but it's as dark as coffee and wanted to make sure it wouldn't effect the plants.
(If I even use it.)
I'm thinking more con's than pro's

Fisherman

I used BlackLeaf 40 on my gamebirds for mites. It got rid of them. One drop or fingertip under each wing and one on back of neck. I always had a few would pick at the wet spots and occasionally one would go into instant ............ well thewy looked dead.. Their head would go back over their sholder and they would fall motionless. Nexer really killed any tho.

If making a tea I think the worst possible problem would be that it would be sticky and cause burn to leaf. The chemical would not hurt tho I am sure. Just to heavy of a spray or mix that may "shellac" the leaf ?????? IMO

Knucklehead

Founding Member
The recipe I saw had red pepper and dish soap in it, in addition to the tobacco dust. I'm not sure what the pepper adds, but I guess the soap is for aphids.

marksctm

The recipe I saw had red pepper and dish soap in it, in addition to the tobacco dust. I'm not sure what the pepper adds, but I guess the soap is for aphids.
If i'm not mistaken, the soap, by it's self, breaks down soft bodied insects waxy protective layer.

And soap in teas, make the ingredients of a tea, stick to what it is being sprayed on.

And when I was a young kid, soap in the mouth meant I said the wrong thing.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I feel that the subject of the thread is perfectly fine. Members should understand that nicotine solutions do kill bugs, and not plants. They should also understand that it is a significant hazard to members of the animal (non-plant) kingdom, and that in solution, nicotine can be absorbed from the skin rapidly. The posting of recipes is unwise.

Bob

Bigdog

Although my first atempt at growing tobacco was unsuccesfull, I was tought that tobacco's big enemy is tobacco. Do not smoke while working your field, wash your hands after smoking before touching your plants etc. I think it has to do with some sort of fungus or desease. Using tobaco tea on your crop seems like a major violation of that rule.

Last edited:

Dean

I use it a lot, buts steeped in water. Works a treat. Even kills snails. I use my disease free tobacco that I smoke, throwing away the small bit at the butt to make it. Couple of hundred butts in a gallon of water for a few days and its good to use. Filter and spray.

The best organic pesticide is made from the best organic baccy.

too often do I read about spraying without any guidance towards personal health and safety.

NB. Heed the above warnings and suit up and or use a mask atleast. I have seen too many old orchid growers succome to pesticide related diseases. Cover your body up and use atleast a 4m mask.

happy killing.

Status
Not open for further replies.