Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Capa Clara, Capa Oscuro, Flojo Africa Ligero

Status
Not open for further replies.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I got a bunch of samples in a few days ago. This tobacco was grown in Germany and is called Aleman. Like most cigar tobacco, it was fermented in the Dominican Republic and has remained there since 2005 thru 2008 (crop years).

Here's the bad and the good. This tobacco hasn't been grown since 2009 (I believe), so the inventory is low with mixed crop years. The remaining quantities won't attract a large manufacturer, but this tobacco is the bomb. You guys know I'm not a big cigar guy and most of what I do know is from you guys. I'm out of stock on the Habano and Dominican Seco, so I have to put an order in right away. There isn't time to send these samples out and wait for reviews, so I took it upon myself to give it a try.

First the single blade of Flojo Africa Ligero, next two leaves of Corojo Seco (private stock), one leaf Havana Clara (private stock), a double Capa Clara for a binder and an Oscuro wrapper.

Holy crap, can a 72 gauge cigar be smoked? First light and I was completely amazed. Smooth enough to cheat a little inhale. The burn is a little uneven due to the double binder and wrapper both being wet. I'm sure this one of the most pleasant cigars I've smoked.

The deal will be finalized on Monday. In the mean time, I'm going to test some of the #3 grade Capas. The price is really good because it's a small leaf, so I'll test it as a filler. There should be some good deals coming up on what really amounts to be a lot of very good and now rare tobacco.

Capa Oscuro 72.jpg

That's a full size bic lighter. Cigar measured 1 1/8" dia. 8)

Last edited:

webmost

Re: Capa Clara, Capa Oscuro Flojo Africa Ligero

You rolled a mandingo there, sir.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member

Funny you replied first...I was just thinking about you. This tobacco filled the room with the smell of nutmeg...even tasted a little too. You can try it next week.

ChuckP

Howdy Don,

Nice looking stogie! Good write-up too, I liked the description. Where are you finding this stuff? We should call you Kilroy! LOL!

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Hey Chuck,

I said once the cigarette tobaccos were taken care of, I would pursue the highest quality, hard to find cigar tobaccos. Cigar tobaccos are a lot more fun than cigarette tobacco, but there's a lot more volume with cigarette tobaccos, so it got preferential treatment.

I found this tobacco by asking the right people the right questions...Is that vague enough? ;)

The cool thing about doing this is, the longer I do it, the more people know that this is what I do...and people talk.

This tobacco is coming in a container, so it's going to be a while before it gets here. In the meantime, I'll make up some samplers and send them to my regular customers.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Be careful, Don. I believe that you are at risk of becoming a cigar person.

Nice cigar, and nice write-up. While Dominican seco and Dominican ligero are what I would consider bread and butter items to stock for cigar filler, I do agree that snagging small lots of unusual, well-aged leaf is something that you are in a unique position to do. I'm all in favor.

Bob

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Be careful, Don. I believe that you are at risk of becoming a cigar person.

Bob
I guess I am among the unfortunate majority who have been improperly introduced to cigars. My impression of cigars was that they were stinky, bitter tasting tobacco sticks fired up and endured as a ritualistic display of testicular fortitude. It is as if I've been told beef liver was filet mignon and couldn't understand how anyone could eat that shit. Don't get me wrong...I love liver as long it's from a fresh killed deer (preferably one I shot) smothered in onions fried in bacon grease.

I really had no idea cigars could actually be enjoyed simply for the tobacco.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
What kind of time are we talking about? I have the shopping cart full of wrapper and Turkish. Will the Maduro and Criollo be around awhile or should I go ahead and get it ordered before it runs out? I'm just wondering if I should order now or wait for the new leaf to arrive.

BigMikeChevy

Thats a good looking smoke Don. Im Just learning how to determine the right case for rolling. noticed when i get a good case the ash is white and holds together well. when Im having trouble keeping it lit the color of the ash is grey or more black and the smoke to me is more harsh.going to get a moisture meter soon to take somemore of the guess work away what kind of meters do you guys have?

webmost

Funny you replied first...I was just thinking about you. This tobacco filled the room with the smell of nutmeg...even tasted a little too. You can try it next week.
Hot dog darn sure I will! Nutmeg ... sounds like my kinda leaf

webmost

I guess I am among the unfortunate majority who have been improperly introduced to cigars. My impression of cigars was that they were stinky, bitter tasting tobacco sticks fired up and endured as a ritualistic display of testicular fortitude. It is as if I've been told beef liver was filet mignon and couldn't understand how anyone could eat that shit. Don't get me wrong...I love liver as long it's from a fresh killed deer (preferably one I shot) smothered in onions fried in bacon grease.

I really had no idea cigars could actually be enjoyed simply for the tobacco.

The problem is that your long time cigar smoker may have grown a leather tongue. So he hands his friend the beginner a dog rocket laid by a junkyard dog fed on a diet of chilis and asphalt. "Try this", he says, meaning well. It's as though your first ever coffee was espresso and onions. That's an improper introduction. But there are plenty of low cost mild and sweet connies and claros out there exactly suited to a proper intro. And you don't have to spend much at all to get a cigar like that.

The other classic mistake a beginner makes, I think, is to smoke it like a cigarette. After all, most of us started out with Camels we filched from Dad. So we think that smoking is all about puff puff puff. Not so with a cigar. You hit it. You relax. You sit it down for a minute or two. You hit it again. Hurry makes for harsh. Relaxation makes for mellow. You got to set it up: A good chair, a good drink, a good view, and nothing else to do.

But what do I know... I'm just a beginner myself.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
But what do I know... I'm just a beginner myself.
Sounds like you're on the right track. After 35 years I still smoke the light mild ones and enjoy them. For me it is a puff now and then and the "slow down and enjoy" is dead on. Perhaps we can blame our "hurry up" society for cig smoking. You know, no time to enjoy. Hell, we've blamed everything else.

I roll the strong aromatic ones for friends and they seem to like them. I like the aroma just not the taste.

Take time to smell "the roses?" NO the cigar.

workhorse_01

I don't like to smoke cigars or cigarettes. I cant stand the taste in my mouth for the next two days. After brushing my teeth 12 times in two days it finally wore off. I do however like the snuff I've made, and I like to roll my friends light cigars and sit and smell the aroma from them.

ChuckP

My impression of cigars was that they were stinky, bitter tasting tobacco sticks fired up and endured as a ritualistic display of testicular fortitude.

Too Funny!! I'll have to tell my wife that when she's rolling her cigars this afternoon!! Are you getting a container full of tobacco? Or just a pallet or two? If you're getting a 40' foot container, you are big time! :cool:

PS - She makes great liver - chicken, lamb, beef and deer. Although I haven't been deer hunting in a couple of years.

BigMikeChevy

Don are you going to work out another group buy deal when that comes in. I havent order any tobacco from you yet but already got cigarette set up. looking at ordering cigar filler and wrapper and being new to this when you say importing sounds very cool. i think the ordering you did was 5-10 and so on pounds. maybe you can think something up in the days to come to get some of the bales spoken for. maybe a mix and match at minimum total poundage. I would be interested

Status
Not open for further replies.