Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Too much rain

Status
Not open for further replies.

marksctm

A year ago this week it was 102 F, and didn't rain for almost 2 months.
Lucked out on color curing everything and only had about a half dozen leaves flashed dried green.

This year the ground hasn't dried any deeper than maybe 3 inches.
Almost got dry enough to hoe today, then heavy down poor for over an hour.

My big worry this year is color curing and not letting mold creep in the picture.
Those mid ribs seem to take for ever to dry out, and mold in a heart beat if they don't snap like a dry twig.

skychaser

Shut up and bail the canoe.

hehehe Been chuckling for 5 mins over that one. :)

We got triple the usual amount of rain in June here. Just over 4.5 inches. Probably wont rain enough to measure again until late September or October now. That's normal for us. Last year we went over 100 days without a drop. The weather wizards say temps are heading to 100-105 this coming week. I'll have several sprinklers running non stop for the next couple months. Costs me next to nothing to pump all the water I want, so we keep it nice and green around here all summer.

workhorse_01

I wish you could pump it off of my place. You can have all you want.
hehehe Been chuckling for 5 mins over that one. :)

We got triple the usual amount of rain in June here. Just over 4.5 inches. Probably wont rain enough to measure again until late September or October now. That's normal for us. Last year we went over 100 days without a drop. The weather wizards say temps are heading to 100-105 this coming week. I'll have several sprinklers running non stop for the next couple months. Costs me next to nothing to pump all the water I want, so we keep it nice and green around here all summer.

BigBonner

Founding Member
BigB, is it stunting your plants?

I have 14 acres that looks great ( the weeds are growing good too ) but I have 10 acres more at a different farm that tested low on lime that look yellow and seem to not be growing the way they should . But these two farms are three miles apart and one received more rain than the other and they are two different types of soil . The field that was low on lime , I added pelleted lime to balance the soil out but with the rain I wonder if it has affected the pelleted lime .

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
my location in the center, of north florida, has me at a good advantage, as far as the rain goes,

a lot of t-storms blow in from the gulf, and have fizzled to a shower by the time they get to me, just enough for a wetting, but not enough to drown them,

i got the suwannee river, in the backyard, and on mornings, with a little moisture, in the air, the river, being so close, by my yard is full of some scooby-doo type fog,
which creates so much moisture on my plants , that it drips off,

so far this year ...good,

but they are predicting a lot of hurricanes, this year,, WE MAY have issues there, but i got a stake for each of my plants, if i need tie them down,, [ early planing < ]

Boboro

I got off to a wet [late] start but now Ive been a little on the dry side. Ive watered all but the very back garden and even it looks good. I think we will get some rain on the 4th. I wanted to prime the back garden then but I guess it can wait.

workhorse_01

It rained on mine after I put it down. The next day the lime was gone just another part of the dirt.
I have 14 acres that looks great ( the weeds are growing good too ) but I have 10 acres more at a different farm that tested low on lime that look yellow and seem to not be growing the way they should . But these two farms are three miles apart and one received more rain than the other and they are two different types of soil . The field that was low on lime , I added pelleted lime to balance the soil out but with the rain I wonder if it has affected the pelleted lime .

DGBAMA

If todays weather will let up a little, I may take a SWIM through my tobacco patches this afternoon.:eek:

DGBAMA

Forget the leaches. Wear socks the bass are getting hungry!

I would gladly feed them my hornworms, grasshoppers, cutworms, and other insect pests if I had any; however I am in short supply of them right now due to the constant rain.........the only real problem I have had so far is nasty slugs. And the bait I put down for them on the 4th has already washed away/melted into the ground.

workhorse_01

The Lord has a plan for all this rain, but for the life of me I don't know what it is.
I would gladly feed them my hornworms, grasshoppers, cutworms, and other insect pests if I had any; however I am in short supply of them right now due to the constant rain.........the only real problem I have had so far is nasty slugs. And the bait I put down for them on the 4th has already washed away/melted into the ground.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
and a storm forming down south, hope it blows itself out over cuba.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
2 years ago i had an exceptionally wet year. the tobacco was thin veined and weak. this year I have many more plants but no time to tend them, the weeds are going crazy.

i am not gonna get worked up though it might get wiped out by that storm anyway, if there is such a thing as luck in gardening BigB can have mine for the year, his crop matters more.

I do have a special tomato crop going though, germination was the pits as it was old seed but very special sentimentally, in an attempt to get a plant i germinated all i had. as long as i get a ripe tomato to continue the strain it's all good for my garden this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.