Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Too much rain

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrBob

Founding Member
last june I had 24" of rain and a dismal tobacco crop. It just seemed to be stunted, this year is looking much the same with abundant rain in june again with many cloudy days. Never measured the rain this year for june but it has to be close to 20" so far. My weed crop is fantastic however.

workhorse_01

Same here, with emphasis on the weed crop. Deluxe has me now spraying malathion on the weeds, as 1 plant closest to the weeds has TSWV, and I'm sure after reading about it, it came from thrips or white flies in the weeds.
last june I had 24" of rain and a dismal tobacco crop. It just seemed to be stunted, this year is looking much the same with abundant rain in june again with many cloudy days. Never measured the rain this year for june but it has to be close to 20" so far. My weed crop is fantastic however.

DGBAMA

I feel you on that. More than double our normal June rainfall here and no more than 8 consecutive days without rain since the first of the year. The dirt in one of my patches is developing a green mossy like surface because it can't dry out.

workhorse_01

I have never in my life seen mold grow on the ground in the sun, but I have now, down at my parents house!
I feel you on that. More than double our normal June rainfall here and no more than 8 consecutive days without rain since the first of the year. The dirt in one of my patches is developing a green mossy like surface because it can't dry out.

DrBob

Founding Member
If this years crop is poor again I may just buy whole leaf tobacco and forget the whole thing. This spring has been the spring from hell, never got any heat, Apple blossoms were 3 weeks later than usual, 40% of the corn crop locally never got planted due to late warm up and too wet field conditions.

Wa wa wa..

DGBAMA

Forecast for first week of JULY is mid/low 80s with daily chance of thunderstorms. Not a single day of full sun.....:confused: Crazy stuff.

DonH

Forecast for first week of JULY is mid/low 80s with daily chance of thunderstorms. Not a single day of full sun.....:confused: Crazy stuff.
Exact same forecast up here. But at least it will be sunny most of the day. And a chance means some days no storms. So the ground will have a chance to dry out a bit. But I'm lucky to have sandy, fast draining soil. We can get two inches of rain on Monday and have the ground dried out by Thursday.

DGBAMA

Getting at least a small break here today. Never thought I would be happy about seeing wilted plants all over a garden but today I am. My gardens actually have SUN on them enough to make the leaves wilt a bit and turn glossy as they soak up the rays. :D

LeftyRighty

Founding Member
Know how you feel.....nasty weather and crop here also. Stunted growth, small leaf size, massive sucker problem, budding/flowering already. Just have to make do with whatever I can get from this.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Bout the same here in Connecticut but even with the T-storms we get quite a lot of sun. No hail so far. I keep my fingers (and eyes) crossed.

Ishi

No rain here. Timer on the sprinklers die nor turn off so they got 2" last night. 111 yesterday and 109 today with a forecast of 111 tomorrow, so they All dried out fine. Oh Rh today 7%,

DGBAMA

Gotta love Nor_Cal. Grew up out there. The low humidity is nice but well present come challenges art harvest/curing time.

DGBAMA

yeah 110 here today. no rain in sight. at the beach its only in the 80s. woohoo a good smoke a cold drink and bar b que.
And can still cool off in the shade. Out here if it is 74d at 5 in the morning you walk outside in the dark and break a sweatbefore you even do any work.

Ishi

And can still cool off in the shade. Out here if it is 74d at 5 in the morning you walk outside in the dark and break a sweatbefore you even do any work.

Yes 95% with low RH is comfortable if you can just set in the shade and have a little breeze.
Just checked the RBL weather and it went to 110.
DGBAMA Corning is forecast for 113 tomorrow

DrBob did not mean to hijack your thread.
Need to get my count up.:)

DGBAMA

Last time I was in Chico old friends were complaining about 98 degrees and compared to southern humidity I thought it felt great. 110+ is just plain HOT. don't care where you are from our what you are used to.

Status
Not open for further replies.