Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Fire in the Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

skychaser

Mother nature put on a bit of a light show for us last night here. Wasn't the most spectacular aurora I have seen by any means, but it was nice. Here's a few picts.

Attachments

• IMG_2413 copy.jpg
    IMG_2413 copy.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_2409 copy.jpg
    IMG_2409 copy.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_2422 copy.jpg
    IMG_2422 copy.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 47

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Beautiful. I always find it comforting to see that all the high-energy particles that would otherwise fry our brains are shipped off to the poles.

Bob

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Beautiful sight. Nice pictures. I still like the one you took last year showing you in the foreground with your arms raised to the sky. It added a mystic element to the photo.

skychaser

Beautiful. I always find it comforting to see that all the high-energy particles that would otherwise fry our brains are shipped off to the poles.

Bob

Yup. We would get fried but good if there was no magnetic field protecting us. There was enough energy up there last night to power the US for a week. And this was just a baby aurora. Just a magnetic field reversal in the solar wind and not even from a big CME. This solar cycle has been somewhat of a bust so far. Barley any M class flares, let alone any big X class flares.

The last solar cycle was much more exciting. My friend Suzanne and I must have shot photos of 50 different events between 1999 and 2002. We didn't get a lot of sleep, but man we saw some sights. We saw a couple CME impacts from big X class flares that pushed the auroral oval that circles the Earth completely down over us here at 47.75 degrees latitude. The sky was dark to the north and we were shooting Aurora picts facing south! We live for that giant X flare that sends auroras to the equator and blows the power grids. :D

If you'd like to see a few of the photos I have taken of some much bigger auroras, then go here:
http://skychasers.net/paul.htm
And a few of Suzanne's aurora photos are here: http://skychasers.net/sue.htm
She is one hell of a good photographer. Much better than I am. I can only take pictures at night. She is good all the time. And she can paint, and write, and do all sorts of things I suck at. lol You can see some of the things does here: http://skylight.skychasers.net/

enjoy

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i would proablly act like primitive man if that went on over my head, '' RUN FOR COVER''

great pic's in the albums.

skychaser

have you ever seen aurora during lightening storm?

No, but that would be something to see. Maybe you could if you were to catch small a passing thunder storm that didn't obscure the whole sky. All the auroral activity is happening 40-60 miles up. Clouds usually mean you see nothing.

I was quite impressed by chillardbee's recent lightning photos. Catching a good lightning bold in action is harder than you might think. At least I have never had much luck at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.