Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

This is for Deluxstogie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Brand

deluxe23.jpg

Bob,

When you send me some seeds last year you said I must send you a picture of myself with a cigar by a zebra. The zebras was a bit wild, but the warthog is tame, her mother got taken by a leopard and my friend had to raise her by hand.

Thanks again for the seed.

Ben

Last edited by a moderator:

AmaxB

Is a great picture, they both look mean as in take no nonsense and give none. Must be that Cigar.
The Hog is better than a Zebra

workhorse_01

Yeah Ben, Couldn't you have found something a little nicer, say like a cheetah... LOL. You and the hog have the same beard in the pic. Does he root up the bacca plants like mine does and leave them laying on the ground?

Ben Brand

WH
Luckily she is not staying with me, but if she was digging up the baccy, I think she would've ended up in the freezer, mmmmm smoked warthog. Gives me an idea.

Ben Brand

Amax
What do they say about dogs, its bark is worse than its bite, that me, peace loving person, although I don't think my wife will agree
Ben

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Bob, As you know I roll long filler cigars. As a result I have over a pound of scrap of good tobacco mostly Habano seco and Lonnie's Havana. Do you roll cigars from loose filler? If so are there any tricks to the task different from rolling long filler? I find they do not burn as evenly and need some advice/help. I still use first rate binder and wrapper.

Thanks,

John

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
For long scraps, just make sure they are well scrunched (like a wrinkled leaf) individually, before combining them as filler. This improves the air flow as compared to laying it all flat, then folding. (Actually, I do this with my long filler as well.) Since I usually toss my long scraps into a gallon Zip Lock, once they've dried sufficiently, I just grab a generous fist full from the bag, and start rolling it.

For small scraps, the technique is similar to rolling a cigarette. Unlike long filler, the entire length of the cut filler cigar needs to start rolling along the same line, like the square edge of cigarette paper. To accomplish this, I use two half-strips of binder, overlaid to form a rectangle at the starting edge, with the veins aligned parallel to the length of the cigar. Beneath this, I also place a full binder strip. Once the shred is gathered into a nice trough of the half-strips, I roll the whole thing as best I can, not compressing it very much. The object is to keep the shred all within the same zipcode.

This usually ends up looking like a fat, sideways volcano, but it serves to hold all the cut filler into a tube shape. When I apply the wrapper, I compress the bulk as much as possible, since air flow will not be a problem. This can make a decent cigar, though the taste is never quite right--the blend is haphazard.

Plan B is to roll a small blunt of a single strip of wrapper. I cut the strip parallel to the veins, about midway up the wrapper, flip the bottom section to form a parallel starting edge. This is a little trickier, since often about 1/3 of the cut filler wants to fall out. It's quick and dirty, but usually results in a cheap, adequate smoke, and helps make the big bag of cut scrap go away.

Bob

johnlee1933

Founding Member
For long scraps, just make sure they are well scrunched (like a wrinkled leaf) individually, before combining them as filler. This improves the air flow as compared to laying it all flat, then folding. (Actually, I do this with my long filler as well.) Since I usually toss my long scraps into a gallon Zip Lock, once they've dried sufficiently, I just grab a generous fist full from the bag, and start rolling it.

For small scraps, the technique is similar to rolling a cigarette. Unlike long filler, the entire length of the cut filler cigar needs to start rolling along the same line, like the square edge of cigarette paper. To accomplish this, I use two half-strips of binder, overlaid to form a rectangle at the starting edge, with the veins aligned parallel to the length of the cigar. Beneath this, I also place a full binder strip. Once the shred is gathered into a nice trough of the half-strips, I roll the whole thing as best I can, not compressing it very much. The object is to keep the shred all within the same zipcode.

This usually ends up looking like a fat, sideways volcano, but it serves to hold all the cut filler into a tube shape. When I apply the wrapper, I compress the bulk as much as possible, since air flow will not be a problem. This can make a decent cigar, though the taste is never quite right--the blend is haphazard.

Plan B is to roll a small blunt of a single strip of wrapper. I cut the strip parallel to the veins, about midway up the wrapper, flip the bottom section to form a parallel starting edge. This is a little trickier, since often about 1/3 of the cut filler wants to fall out. It's quick and dirty, but usually results in a cheap, adequate smoke, and helps make the big bag of cut scrap go away.

Bob
Thanks, I'll give it a try. The worst that can happen is I'll get frustrated and end it all. :D Failing that I'll report and maybe post some pics. I'm not going for perfect. Just some way to salvage good leaf.

Off topic: It's 87° and sunny here. The plants are growing so fast I can almost hear them. Got to start stringing soon (I keep telling myself).

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I bought a blunt roller for scraps. I bought the 110 mm first, it rolls a cigarillo about the diameter of a cigarette, 4-1/2" long. I was not satisfied with the diameter, due to the wrapper to filler ratio leaning heavily in favor of the wrapper. I ordered the 120mm that has not arrived yet. It will produce a larger diameter cigarillo that is also slightly longer. (can cut the cigarillo in half for two shorties) The roller makes handling the short scraps a breeze. I cut the wrapper from binder or filler grade leaf that will also stretch my good wrapper leaf further. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004K2R3KO/ref=pe_385040_30332190_pe_175190_21431760_3p_M3T1_ST1_dp_1

Status
Not open for further replies.