Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

easy peasy blossom bags

Status
Not open for further replies.

madhouse

just a little tip for anyone looking for cheap blossom bags hope it helps.
blossom bags easy in theory this may get a little long winded but i have found it to be the best, most pound shops sell frost protection fleece 6m x 1m
this can be cut into 1m x 1m lengths then fold each and cut again giving you 1m x 500mm then fold these lengthways giving you 500mm x 500mm squire with two open edges fold each edge 3 times quite tight about 10mm then secure the edges with staples that you would use on paper, 1 staple about every 50mm, voila you now have a blossom bag, cant get any cheaper then that .
blossom bag.jpg

happy growing

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
, most pound shops sell frost protection fleece 6m x 1m

Looks good, depending on the price but please explain for us Americans (at least me) what is a "pound shop?
And do you staple the bag in an anti clockwise pattern or a counter clockwise pattern?......;)

madhouse

pound shop lol in the UK there is a big trend of pound shops popping up they sell any item for £1 most of it is rubbish but things like this frost fleece are very cheap oh and it must be clockwise :D

DGBAMA

The staples are a great idea. Especially for those of us without a sewing machine.

NRustica

pound shop lol in the UK there is a big trend of pound shops popping up they sell any item for £1 most of it is rubbish but things like this frost fleece are very cheap oh and it must be clockwise :D

If we did it in America we may have to do counter-clock wise to keep the earth from stop spinning or causing an accident. :)

Mrs BeeKeeper

I just finished up our bags. (Well almost, I miscounted and am short by 3.) I opted for sewing them. I used cheesecloth that I bought at the dollar store. Actually we bought a little of the fancier cheesecloth from another store. It's finer mesh, and would be excellent for making cheese. The cheesecloth from the dollar store would be awful for making cheese - lighter airier mesh, but it's perfect for blossom bags. Will will add pics to his grow blog at some point. :)

johnlee1933

Founding Member
. Actually we bought a little of the fancier cheesecloth from another store. It's finer mesh, and would be excellent for making cheese. The cheesecloth from the dollar store would be awful for making cheese -
Cheesecloth for making cheese! WOW, who'da thunk it?

DGBAMA

Allow me to add something to this......hot glue. Bought my mesh material at walmart, .97c per linear yard.

cut material to a little over desired width, and double desired length. Fold in half lengthwise and run a bead of hot glue down each side. Then turn "inside out". A couple minutes each and no folding fiddling or stiching. Completely sealed edges.

IMG_20130731_215415_811[1].jpg
IMG_20130731_220039_390[1].jpg

I will add, make sure to do this on a metal/nonstick surface that hotglue does not normally adhere well to. I did the first one on a piece of wood and the glue penetrated the mesh well enough that I tore the bag removing it.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The hot-melt glue approach is interesting, especially for folks without a sewing maching at home. I would worry about the added weight of the glue.

Bob

DGBAMA

Weight of rain on any bag would be more of a weight issue than the very minimal amount of glue involved.

BarG

Founding Member
A young wife who likes to sew beats hot melt glue and staples. even an old wife would beat that, Heh Heh

spencerpearson

ok so they cross with the cheese cloth bags. the holes are to small for the bugs to get to the pollin is that correct

darren1979

First Time Grower
i used the same material as madhouse last season and almost made identical bags but instead of staples i used iron seam tape, worked very well altho the fabric does tend to get fragile towards the end of season.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
ok so they cross with the cheese cloth bags. the holes are to small for the bugs to get to the pollin is that correct

The bags are to keep the varieties pure. You don't want seed next year from a Burley crossed with a Virginia, etc. If you bag a Virginia, for example, it will keep the pollinating insects out of the pollen and the seed will be pure Virginia for the next year. You put a bag on your best plant from each variety to raise for seed. You do this before the flowers have opened.

spencerpearson

ok thanks for the example about to start my first grow log..heeee... got my 1949 farmall cub back up and running so after winner i can put it to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.